What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2014

bin31z
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm pretty sure the additive thing has more to do with Rye vs Straight Rye then it does bourbon. I was always under the impression that anything labeled bourbon by law may not have flavoring or coloring additives . . .

From Sku . . . http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/08/whiskey-wednesday-bourbon-law-for.html

That being said, I don't buy any Mitcher's products because I find them to be blatantly dishonest, don't really care what their whiskey tastes like, others may disagree, but here are a couple not so glowing reviews of Mitchers and their elaborate use of history that is not theirs . . .

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-can-non-distiller-be-distiller-of.html

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/79568476215/deceit-vs-deception-the-heroes-and-hobos-of-whiskey

As for is it worth it . . . well you'll have to decide for yourself. Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. But I don't think the bourbon / rye distinction makes a difference. See Chuck's post here.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. But I don't think the bourbon / rye distinction makes a difference. See Chuck's post here.

Read further down into the comments of that blog post, Chuck adds an update on Sept 24th discussing the bourbon classification a little further.

Read further down into the comments of that blog post, Chuck adds an update on Sept 24th discussing the bourbon classification a little further.

Pure luck yesterday... Stop by a random store and got to chatting with the owner. Offered me a 2009 ER17 at retail, couldn't turn that down. Loaded up on some beer and wine to show my appreciation... Can't wait to get it opened!

6AB92922-8068-4F09-9F81-27B5C54082A6.jpg

post-11294-1448982157935_thumb.jpg

post-11294-1448982157935_thumb.jpg

Down to my last two bottles so I ordered these from the UK. Paid more than I'd like to admit but knowing this is one of the best bourbon I've ever had in my short time enjoy American whiskey, I didn't want to regret it down the line.

post-11296-14489821580078_thumb.jpg

Post board exam haul:

CEHT Single barrel

OGD BIB x2

VOB BIB

ER

Old Forester Single Barrel

Not bourbon, but also:

Knappogue Castle 12

Auchentoshan 12

Glenmorangie 18

Only problem now is where to start!

Post board exam haul:

CEHT Single barrel

OGD BIB x2

VOB BIB

ER

Old Forester Single Barrel

Not bourbon, but also:

Knappogue Castle 12

Auchentoshan 12

Glenmorangie 18

Only problem now is where to start!

Purchased a couple of bottles on a recent trip to Missouri - Jeffer's Creek (6yr house brand from Brown Derby in Springfield, said to be from BT) $17, Copper Run overaged moonshine, and Larceny.

post-10329-14489821581136_thumb.jpg

post-10329-14489821581136_thumb.jpg

Picked up an ETL today at my favorite store. Monday is their delivery day and they had 12 on the shelf. Already had an open at home and a backup, but who knows how common this will be

Purchased a couple of bottles on a recent trip to Missouri - Jeffer's Creek (6yr house brand from Brown Derby in Springfield, said to be from BT) $17, Copper Run overaged moonshine, and Larceny.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19579[/ATTACH]

That looks exactly like OWA. Is it wheated? I would assume it was from BT as well because of the look of the bottle and label.

That looks exactly like OWA. Is it wheated? I would assume it was from BT as well because of the look of the bottle and label.

According to a post from Chuck back in 2012, it's Barton: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?17691-Another-Age-Statement-Bites-the-Dust-(And-More-Recent-COLA-Findings)&p=292293&viewfull=1#post292293

The bottle is also used by Barton who is a likely source as the 6 year old Barton exited the stage about the time 6 year old Jeffers Creek made an appearance.

Stopped by a local retailer at lunch and picked up two more bottles of the 4RSB OBSK I've been enjoying so much. BTAC and Pappy be damned, this stuff is fantastic and reasonably priced; more than enough reason for me to dip into my wallet for some more.

This just in.... Not 1, but 2 Tornados have been spotted in Central Wi.! Man, I love this place!post-10789-14489821582531_thumb.jpg

This just in.... Not 1, but 2 Tornados have been spotted in Central Wi.! Man, I love this place![ATTACH=CONFIG]19584[/ATTACH]

That's a huge/unexpected find!!

Edited by Mardbrown

Picked up an ETL today at my favorite store. Monday is their delivery day and they had 12 on the shelf. Already had an open at home and a backup, but who knows how common this will be

Yup...it's starting. The ETL bunkering blowback. The heavy buyers now sitting on cases, and the commemorative limited buzz fading. Pleased to see it - I'm going to need a replacement by the end of the year.

This just in.... Not 1, but 2 Tornados have been spotted in Central Wi.! Man, I love this place![ATTACH=CONFIG]19584[/ATTACH]

Great find, Don. I can only assume you snapped them up, so perhaps no harm in asking now - where in Central Wisc?

Great find, Don. I can only assume you snapped them up, so perhaps no harm in asking now - where in Central Wisc?

Just never know what show's up on your doorstep nowadays!

This just in.... Not 1, but 2 Tornados have been spotted in Central Wi.! Man, I love this place!

Over the past 3 days:

1x Midwinter Nights Dram

1x Dry Fly Port Finished Wheat Whiskey (375)

1x WTRB (375)

1x Ezra B 12yr

2x Makers Mark Cask Strength

Had to go to NY, almost to CT to get the MMCS, but it was worth it.

Scored an ER17 today, my second BTAC (with a Saz). Still looking for the elusive GTS (yeah, the most numerous one, right?), but I have no complaints.

Picked up the ECBP Batch 5 that I passed on last night. It was $20 over state minimum, but I wanted it and my wife convinced me that if I wasn't going to find it anywhere else, $20 wasn't so much to pay. If any one else in the Detroit area is looking to find an overpriced bottle of ECBP, PM me. The lady behind the counter said they had a few more in back.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!