What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2014

bin31z
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got this Wild Turkey 13 for 250 RMB (40 bucks). Haven't tasted it cause I'm nursing the after effects of staying out until 4am. However, it does seem to pass the smell test.

post-647-14489821569631_thumb.jpg

Grabbed a RHF while shopping for other stuff. I haven't had one in a LOOONNNGGG time and those 1/2 a dozen bottles looked so lonely that I had to take one home.

Got this Wild Turkey 13 for 250 RMB (40 bucks). Haven't tasted it cause I'm nursing the after effects of staying out until 4am. However, it does seem to pass the smell test.

Ohhhhhh nice. I'll be in Beijing later this week. Is this easy to find? This is on my list to get while in China.

Got a store piced OBSV from liquor outlet here in Salem. It is delightful and has a spice to it that almost seems like hot chiles. Long finish that hits sweet and savory tones as it slides away. So good. Completely smokes my other shelf FRSB bottles.

Ohhhhhh nice. I'll be in Beijing later this week. Is this easy to find? This is on my list to get while in China.

I had to order it off Taobao, their version of ebay. I have no idea why some things there are so cheap compared to Australia's and Japan's prices. You always suspect it's fake, but who would fake something so rare which might have but a handful of potential customers anyways. Plus it checks out ok look and smell wise.

Anyways, a few good bottle shops to check out while you're here would be Ai Whisky and Boot Bottle Cigar. Ai Whisky has a nice selection of Single Malts and some good bourbons too but nothing too fancy, rare, or upscale. I haven't been to Boot Bottle Cigar because it seems like a pricier place, but with higher end bottles.

If you're looking for a good whiskey bar, I would recommend a little Japanese styled bar called Kura Kura tucked away in Sanlitun near the embassies.

I had to order it off Taobao, their version of ebay. I have no idea why some things there are so cheap compared to Australia's and Japan's prices. You always suspect it's fake, but who would fake something so rare which might have but a handful of potential customers anyways. Plus it checks out ok look and smell wise.

Anyways, a few good bottle shops to check out while you're here would be Ai Whisky and Boot Bottle Cigar. Ai Whisky has a nice selection of Single Malts and some good bourbons too but nothing too fancy, rare, or upscale. I haven't been to Boot Bottle Cigar because it seems like a pricier place, but with higher end bottles.

If you're looking for a good whiskey bar, I would recommend a little Japanese styled bar called Kura Kura tucked away in Sanlitun near the embassies.

Thanks for the tips! We're traveling with family friends and their kids so whiskey bars are not possible but I'll try to find a bottle shop for sure.

Well, not bourbon, but I snagged a Saz18 and the new Parker's Heritage. Happy about both acquisitions.

Not bourbon, but picked up a bottle of the High West A Midwinter Nights Dram today. post-11610-14489821574449_thumb.jpg

Edited by agrant77

3 MMCS, thanks to an SB'er! 1 WFE 10yr. For some reason I've just been killing it on the Willett front.

Not bourbon, but picked up a bottle of the High West A Midwinter Nights Dram today. [ATTACH=CONFIG]19562[/ATTACH]

First Act 2.4 I've seen on here

Experimental Day today-

Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish

JB Harvest Collection Red Wheat

JB Harvest Collection Brown Rice

And even found an old JB Signature Brandy Finished.

On a sad side note, noticed that all of the four stores I visited today were out of Weller 12.

Three of the four were either out, or down to their last bottles of OGD114.

Was able to pick up a Parkers Heritage today. Thanks to a fellow GBS/SB member for pointing me in the right direction.

I was able to pick up another Maker's Mark C.S. today.

It is a bit pricey, but I do enjoy drinking it and am worried that it might not be around for that long.

On a sad side note, noticed that all of the four stores I visited today were out of Weller 12.

Three of the four were either out, or down to their last bottles of OGD114.

Remember this post. It was the last time you saw either bottle on a Texas shelf :)

I purchased one of these ELBP and left the other 2 for another lucky soul to find.

post-9084-14489821575612_thumb.jpg

However, I passed on the Michter's 10 year single barrel. I don't see this too often and the price seemed good from what I've heard. And I've never tried Michter's so it seemed a good time to change that. And doing a quick search on my smart phone I found this glowing review. It's well written and makes the fundamental point that this bourbon simply tastes good regardless of where it comes from. But it includes the text, "maybe it's the recipe." I'm sure the intent was to refer to the mash bill, the barrel char and other attributes that make a great bourbon. But the word "recipe" made me think about the whole Templeton Rye situation and their special "recipe" that includes additives. I then noticed that the Michter's 10 year is not labeled as a straight bourbon. Why would this not be included for a 10-year old whiskey? Any thoughts or knowledge in this regard? Am I just paranoid? There are 3 bottles sitting about a 1/2 mile from my house and I'm still tempted to grab one. But I thought I'd reach out to the wise people of this board to pick their brains on this issue. I'm all for buying whiskey because it simply tastes great. But I frankly can't, in good conscious, buy a whiskey with additives. Again, I don't know if that's the case here, so I'm simply asking the question. Thank you.

post-9084-14489821575003_thumb.jpg

Edited by portugieser

I purchased one of these ELBP and left the other 2 for another lucky soul to find.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19568[/ATTACH]

However, I passed on the Michter's 10 year single barrel. I don't see this too often and the price seemed good from what I've heard. And I've never tried Michter's so it seemed a good time to change that. And doing a quick search on my smart phone I found this glowing review. It's well written and makes the fundamental point that this bourbon simply tastes good regardless of where it comes from. But it includes the text, "maybe it's the recipe." I'm sure the intent was to refer to the mash bill, the barrel char and other attributes that make a great bourbon. But the word "recipe" made me think about the whole Templeton Rye situation and their special "recipe" that includes additives. I then noticed that the Michter's 10 year is not labeled as a straight bourbon. Why would this not be included for a 10-year old whiskey? Any thoughts or knowledge in this regard? Am I just paranoid? There are 3 bottles sitting about a 1/2 mile from my house and I'm still tempted to grab one. But I thought I'd reach out to the wise people of this board to pick their brains on this issue. I'm all for buying whiskey because it simply tastes great. But I frankly can't, in good conscious, buy a whiskey with additives. Again, I don't know if that's the case here, so I'm simply asking the question. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19567[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty sure the additive thing has more to do with Rye vs Straight Rye then it does bourbon. I was always under the impression that anything labeled bourbon by law may not have flavoring or coloring additives . . .

From Sku . . . http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/08/whiskey-wednesday-bourbon-law-for.html

That being said, I don't buy any Mitcher's products because I find them to be blatantly dishonest, don't really care what their whiskey tastes like, others may disagree, but here are a couple not so glowing reviews of Mitchers and their elaborate use of history that is not theirs . . .

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-can-non-distiller-be-distiller-of.html

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/79568476215/deceit-vs-deception-the-heroes-and-hobos-of-whiskey

As for is it worth it . . . well you'll have to decide for yourself. Good luck.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!