What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was at a bar watching the Buckeyes win the National Championship enjoying a lot of 4R Small Batch. I may live in Seattle, but I'm from Ohio, so it was a sweet, sweet night.

Had my first pour of Weller 12 in a long time while out at dinner the other night. Walked into a new restaurant and there it was up on the shelf. Also had my first pour ever of Jeffersons VOVSB. Can't believe I waited so long to try it. Might have to pick a bottle for the stash.

Had one in the car. He bought it specifically for me. I couldnt just dismiss that. Not only is he a friend, but my wife's boss. I felt I had to suck it up and deal with it.

I find it useful to thank them for their kindness and then try to use the opportunity as a "teaching moment" and perhaps suggest a couple of things he could consider in the future. A nice mid or even lower shelf bottle that won't break the bank but would likely be more enjoyable to you and who knows, maybe help them step up from the JD depths. OGD or EC12 come to mind.

But I have found that for the most part dedicated vodka drinkers are pretty much beyond salvation! :lol:

Was at a bar watching the Buckeyes win the National Championship enjoying a lot of 4R Small Batch. I may live in Seattle, but I'm from Ohio, so it was a sweet, sweet night.

Yes it was, and congrats to the Buckeyes. I may live in Corvallis, but I work in Eugene, and there was too much crowing around here after the Rose Bowl. Being an FSU fan (alum plus worked there for 24 years) I took an admittedly petty satisfaction in watching the Ducks get taken down a notch.

Nope, no joy in Skinner's Mudhole today! :lol:

Had one in the car. He bought it specifically for me. I couldnt just dismiss that. Not only is he a friend, but my wife's boss. I felt I had to suck it up and deal with it.

I knew there had to be at least one person with some class on this board. haha. Did you offer him tasting notes? "I really like the cherry cough syrup on this one. Is this the 2012 release?"

The problem with people who try to be nice - and believe me, the world needs more of them - is that sometimes they don't know enough. Hence jonhalter having to choke down some Red Stag, and the number of bottles of Cody Road or Lexington that get sold. Nice guy goes into a liquor store, asks the clerk what bottle he should buy for his bourbon loving friend who's coming over, and gets stuck with a shelf turd.

I'm convinced that's how half the Orphan Barrel bottles get sold (disclaimer - I like both Barterhouse and Rhetoric, I just think they're over-priced). Customer: "I'd like to buy a really nice bottle of bourbon for my friend who just got a promotion." Clerk: "This Old Blowhard is excellent".

I was cleaning out the garage shelves and ran across a bottle of OGD BIB. Popped it open, added some ice and watched the game last night. Great stuff for the price.

Popped a bottle of EC this evening since I bought it's replacement today. May try vatting this with ECBP later.

Popped a bottle of EC this evening since I bought it's replacement today. May try vatting this with ECBP later.

I'll be curious to see how this grabs you. I tried this once as well but was disappointed with the results. EC12 on its own is one of my faves. ECBP even diluted down with water is even more fantastic. But the EC/ECBP didn't hit home with me.

The problem with people who try to be nice - and believe me, the world needs more of them - is that sometimes they don't know enough. Hence jonhalter having to choke down some Red Stag, and the number of bottles of Cody Road or Lexington that get sold. Nice guy goes into a liquor store, asks the clerk what bottle he should buy for his bourbon loving friend who's coming over, and gets stuck with a shelf turd.

I'm convinced that's how half the Orphan Barrel bottles get sold (disclaimer - I like both Barterhouse and Rhetoric, I just think they're over-priced). Customer: "I'd like to buy a really nice bottle of bourbon for my friend who just got a promotion." Clerk: "This Old Blowhard is excellent".

Yep, this is exactly how my wife ended up with a $124 bottle of Lock Stock and Barrell (Canadian rye) by asking the liquor manager what bourbon would be a good gift for her bourbon-obsessed husband. Just coincidentally, it was also the most expensive bottle on the shelf near the bourbon section. I am not sure it makes it worse or better that when I returned to trade it in on actual bourbon, the guy apologized and said he did not know that much about bourbon. I guess that includes not knowing that bottles that don't say "bourbon" on the label are not bourbon.

Ironically, they do have a bunch of Barterhouse on the shelf at $99, so in a way I am lucky he did not sell her that since it would have been more difficult to return. As it is, I could just say "this is not even bourbon..."

Edited by Paul W

I'll be curious to see how this grabs you. I tried this once as well but was disappointed with the results. EC12 on its own is one of my faves. ECBP even diluted down with water is even more fantastic. But the EC/ECBP didn't hit home with me.

Like you EC12 is one of my favorites and it had been too long since I've poured a glass and of course loved it.

I first tried a 1:1 ratio and wasn't impressed so I'm now at 2:1 EC12 to ECBP and it's much better. I may go to a 3:1 on the next pour.

I like the BP straight and with a bit of water.

Like you EC12 is one of my favorites and it had been too long since I've poured a glass and of course loved it.

I first tried a 1:1 ratio and wasn't impressed so I'm now at 2:1 EC12 to ECBP and it's much better. I may go to a 3:1 on the next pour.

Funny this his line of discussion. I just popped open a bottle of EC 12 and am having a few pours tonight.

I was cleaning out the garage shelves and ran across a bottle of OGD BIB. Popped it open, added some ice and watched the game last night. Great stuff for the price.

I enjoy many more bourbons than I dislike but if the only bottle that was available to me was OGDBIB I'd be a happy man. On my 4th pour tonight and it is hitting all the right spots.

Having a Baby SazOld Fashioned at the moment, but may have to try this EC12/ECBP vat next.

So I'm continuing the EC12/ECBP tonight. This time I'm at 3:1 and I'm good, very good with this. Unable to calculate the proof at this point but I'm still,good with it.

So I'm continuing the EC12/ECBP tonight. This time I'm at 3:1 and I'm good, very good with this. Unable to calculate the proof at this point but I'm still,good with it.

I went with .75 oz of ECBP ( Devil's proof) and 1.75 oz of EC12.

Pretty pleased with the result.

I'll join the others enjoying OGD BIB. I started with Johhny Drum Black Label (because I have it and need to finish it). It's not bad, but I won't be replacing it even at it's rock bottom price. OGD BIB, however, at it's rock bottom price, will be a mainstay. As TT said above, this is hitting all the right notes. This one's for you squire.

Went with a few pours of MM last night while watching KU-OSU. Havent had it for a while, good drink. Need to revisit it more often.

havent had one open in a few weeks, so i pulled an HH6BIB outta the garage and brought it in. Being out there, it was 30 degrees, so practically outta the freezer, and I can see why others like this outta the fridge.

Drained the last pour out of an EC20 and then moved on to my first store select FRSB. I bought four different recipies when they showed up at my local ABC store. Decided to go with the OBSK. Wow! This bottle won't last long.

Started with some SOAS7 and finishing with PHC8 for the season premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!