What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, a small pour of the ECBP 128 proof, I've only had the Hazmat, and this to me is a bit sweeter, more caramel. I know most would prefer the Hazmat, but I think this batch is "better" to me. Granted, I would add a splash of water to Hazmat, this is drinkable neat.

Finally tried a bottle of Dickel 12 that I've had unopened as well as an OGD114. I liked the ODG114 much more. I think the Dickel has a bit of strange taste and nose to it. The "vitamin" description is actually pretty accurate. Enjoyable for sure but not as good the ODG.

ETL while watching the Game of Thrones season finale. Wow!

Oh and the bourbon was pretty good too.

4R OESV followed by Stagg Jr. Batch 3 - and this is before dinner! About to grill some burgers so there will be something fine to follow after.

Started with a RRSmBaSB, which was excellent, and then followed it up with an ER10. The ER10 still just doesn't do anything for me. I appreciate how smooth it is but I have a very hard time picking out any flavors.

Started with a RRSmBaSB, which was excellent, and then followed it up with an ER10. The ER10 still just doesn't do anything for me. I appreciate how smooth it is but I have a very hard time picking out any flavors.

You are more than entitled to not love ER10, and I gather from your post that this is not your first dance with ER10. That said, just gleaning from your post, you sealed its fate that night IMHO by drinking it after the 110 proof RRSmBSB.

I find that under 100 proofers just can't compete in a tasting after I've had a barrel proofer. Just the other night, I had a nice pour of Stagg Jr., cut down a bit with water. It was great. I then had a pour of Blanton's, and it was meh. The next night on its own, the Blanton's was excellent.

Just sayin'. Not calling you out at all OP. It is what it is, but alas, these barrel proofers, especially non chill filtered and what-not, are just so full flavored. Hard for a 90 proofer to follow one up and taste all that good.

You are more than entitled to not love ER10, and I gather from your post that this is not your first dance with ER10. That said, just gleaning from your post, you sealed its fate that night IMHO by drinking it after the 110 proof RRSmBSB.

You are probably right. In the past when I have had ER10, it was always by itself and I still felt it wasn't for me. That said, it was following a tough act with the boldness and high proof of the Russell's Reserve.

Good tip. Next time I will taste it against an EC12 or something similar.

Finally tried a bottle of Dickel 12 that I've had unopened as well as an OGD114. I liked the ODG114 much more. I think the Dickel has a bit of strange taste and nose to it. The "vitamin" description is actually pretty accurate. Enjoyable for sure but not as good the ODG.

Now that the Dickel No. 12 is open and got some air to breath, let it set for a few weeks and then try it again. I'm guessing that you may be surprised.

Now that the Dickel No. 12 is open and got some air to breath, let it set for a few weeks and then try it again. I'm guessing that you may be surprised.

I'll give that a shot. I've had other bottles improve significantly with some air time.

When I'm having pours of different proofs I always start low and work my way up

You are probably right. In the past when I have had ER10, it was always by itself and I still felt it wasn't for me. That said, it was following a tough act with the boldness and high proof of the Russell's Reserve.

I agree with Jeff and TT. ER10 being in the very low rye mashbill camp and following a high rye non chill filtered at 20 proof points higher is going to have a hard time asserting its flavors.

Doesn't mean you'll like it any better though if you have it first.

Having a little Corti Bros. I'm glad it was just a sample as its too sweet for me. I would have trouble finishing the bottle I think. Oh well. Cheers to th fella that sent me the sample. It's decent, just not my cup of tea.

Trying a recent batch of Noah's Mill. Tastes an awful lot like the HH6BiB I have open right now, but with more oak spice and a longer finish.

Woodford reserve.

Not often a fan, but that's what my buddy picked up at duty free while I was in the massive line to cross two days ago.

But frankly, even average tastes better when in fish camp.

B

Starting with some Willett and thinking of following with small pour of Dickel 12.

Simple Buffalo Trace over a few cubes in a nice sipping glass. I really only want to have one pour of bourbon tonight, but this is so good on this warm evening out back while listening to the Braves on the radio, I don't know how I can keep myself from going for another. :yum:

That nice earthy, chewy, goodness that is classic Buffalo Trace is shining. And, just Twenty-Two-little-Dollars...

A little WT101 is really hitting the spot. Whatever production issues they had a few years back have been straightened out. Doesn't taste like old Turkey, but it's certainly good!

I was gonna go for a chilled EWBIB or something over an ice sphere since it's a bit warm/muggy but settled on 4RSB neat for GoT finale. Room temp is a bit high today but so be it. I considered grabbing something new from the cooler basement bunker but I got so many open on my shelf upstairs there really isn't much room for another.

Some JEP1776 15 yr Bourbon followed by 4R OESV 11 yr 9 mo, warehouse ME. I could just sit here and smell the 4R all night.

This is a good bottle of JEP. Purchased when they still retailed around $80. Glad to have another bunkered from the same batch, heard these can be hit or miss. I've only had bottles purchased from a single shipment through one retailer and they've all been excellent. Super long finish. Always love four roses and this is one of my favorite picks. I've definitely spent worse nights in a hotel room.

Small pour of EC12, finishing off the bottle, probably an ounce left. Less is more tonight, as I've got to get up early. Happy Monday all!

Finishing off a bottle of Bowman Brothers Small Batch. As usual, the last pour of a bottle I'm not sure about is amazing. Enough to tempt me to go right out and get another. I will stay strong however and remember all the so-so pours. Regular BT satisfies nicely so there's no need to pay $10 more per bottle for this one.

Met up with a couple of friends at the cigar bar and had a few pours of KC. Not much beats friends, bourbon, and cigars! Had a BT night cap after getting home. A good evening indeed!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!