What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Attended a charity event tonight at a local horse farm.  8 distillery's were represented along with 4 cigar shops.  I went with WRDO, WTRR, Blanton's and 4RSB.  It was a great evening full of great food, good bourbon and fine cigars.  All for a worthy cause! 

Doing a Booker's four way batch face-off tonight.  Two new contenders (Center Cut & Noe's Secret) versus two oldies (batch B95-C-31 & 2014-06).  This is gonna be interesting B)

Edited by Kepler
typo

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Doing a Booker's four way batch face-off tonight.  Two new contenders (Center Cut & Noe's Secret) versus two oldies (batch B95-C-31 & 2014-06).  This is gonna be interesting B)

Follow-up/conclusions:

Let me preface this by disclosing that I find my palate seems to change or be somewhat inconsistent from time to time. I  usually drink Bookers and most barrel proof whiskeys neat with not much problem. When doing comparison tests,  especially, I prefer to keep things on a level playing field by not adding water, and generally don't prefer bourbons with water added anyway. Sometimes I find some particular Booker's batches are better with water added however.

For whatever reason, tonight I found my palate was unusually sensitive to the burn of the high proof. Could it be the fantastic Tex-Mex dinner (garnished with unusually hot jalepenos) combined with 3 strong margaritas earlier at dinnertime? Probably. Having said all that, here are my conclusions from this particular tasting:

1.) The B95 batch has the least alcohol burn of the 4 batches when sampled neat. When neat, the B95 is the smoothest (if any neat Booker's can be described as smooth).  It was the most enjoyable to drink neat.  But not necessarily because of the actual taste on the palate.

2.) As far as nosing and tasting goes, comparing these 4 batches is basically an exercise in splitting hairs, whether neat or with 3 drops of water. These batches are remarkably similar and make me question whether comparing different batches of Booker's is a waste of time. However, most of these 4 batches are "Roundtable" batches which are supposedly selected by a panel of experts, so perhaps these are generally a cut above the other batches. Not sure. Since I can't afford to purchase every batch, I tend to purchase only the Roundtable batches  in order to maximize my individual value proposition. I also usually purchase a "dusty" Booker's when I come across them, just because I may never come across them again. The B95 batch falls under this category.

3.)  I ended up adding 3 drops of water to each of these due to my unexpected issues with extra burn tonight. My conclusions with water added: I preferred the taste of the 2014-06 and B95.  They both had a more prominent dark fruit/dark cherry flavor that I found especially appealing and interesting.  I really liked the "creaminess" and almost doughy texture of the Center Cut (sort of like a good wheater) , but overall I preferred the more complex dark fruit flavors of the 2 older batches. I found the Noe Secret batch to be an excellent representation of the Booker's bourbon taste profile in general (and therefore still recommended), but not particularly distinguished in comparison to the other 3 really excellent batches.

Therefore, my informal rankings with a few drops of water added:

1.  2014-06

2.  B95-C-31

3. Center Cut

4.  Noe Secret

The normal disclaimer applies: Your results may vary.

Plus, Booker's batches are surprisingly consistent. Which is a good thing!!

worked through a few pours of ER10 last night while binge watching the final season of Hell on Wheels

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

Attended a charity event tonight at a local horse farm.  8 distillery's were represented along with 4 cigar shops.  I went with WRDO, WTRR, Blanton's and 4RSB.  It was a great evening full of great food, good bourbon and fine cigars.  All for a worthy cause! 

Now that sounds fun. There's something special about a horse farm and when you combine it with bourbon - even better.

What did you think of the Double Oak? (Can't recall if you've posted about it before). When I'm in the right mood, it really hits the spot solidly. I have to be in the mood though. If I'm not, it comes off too woody.

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Therefore, my informal rankings with a few drops of water added:

1.  2014-06

2.  B95-C-31

3. Center Cut

4.  Noe Secret

The normal disclaimer applies: Your results may vary.

Plus, Booker's batches are surprisingly consistent. Which is a good thing!!

Kepler,

Thanks for your review-report.  I compliment you on the presentation with commentary on how palates can change from day to day.

As far as the results go, a little surprising to me, because of my prejudice, that an older bourbon of the same brand is typically better.  Especially when we are talking about a Booker Noe produced bourbon. 

Just goes to show, as with everything in life, leave the prejudices at the door!!!

Having a SBS of SAOS 7 year and SAOS 8 year store select!  Happy Sunday all!

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Now that sounds fun. There's something special about a horse farm and when you combine it with bourbon - even better.

What did you think of the Double Oak? (Can't recall if you've posted about it before). When I'm in the right mood, it really hits the spot solidly. I have to be in the mood though. If I'm not, it comes off too woody.

I usually enjoy the DO.  Surprisingly, I don't find any bitterness (that can be quite common in over oaked bourbons) in this brand, while I do find a nice and pleasant hint of molasses on the finish. 

I also sampled the Yellowstone Select last evening.  It's a high rye blend of 4 and 7 year old distillate.  I found it wanting, unbalanced and untamed by any sense of positive refinement or influence.

A long day, some work, some fun at a party (just drank a couple beers), then worked ups good sweat cutting the lawn.  Took a shower, a big glass of water, then poured a Rock Hill Farms and sat down in the easy chair.  Really hitting the spot.  I've been enjoying this one lately.  Had 3 in the bunker, hadn't drank it at all for probably a year and since I've opened it about six weeks ago I've drank about 3/4 of the bottle - quite a quick pace for me given how many open bottles I have.

Started with 1792 single barrel followed up by EWSB2007. EWSB is always solid. This 1792 is damn good though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Third night in a row with some ETL because I'm at the beach and only have one bottle to choose from. I'm batting 3-3 though as it's been a good choice 3 nights' running. 

7 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Having a SBS of SAOS 7 year and SAOS 8 year store select!  Happy Sunday all!

Verdict?

I had a pour of SAOS10 SB CS (103.6) and now I'm enjoying a nightcap of ECBP Batch 8.  Man, this stuff is awesome!

8 hours ago, Fort Knox said:

I'm enjoying a nightcap of ECBP Batch 8.  Man, this stuff is awesome!

It sure is!  I finished the last pour in my bottle last night while watching The Night Of.  Good show by the way.

20 hours ago, Fort Knox said:

Verdict?

I had a pour of SAOS10 SB CS (103.6) and now I'm enjoying a nightcap of ECBP Batch 8.  Man, this stuff is awesome!

Verdict--right off the bat the SAOS 7, but after waiting about 30 minutes perhaps the Store Select.  I will say, I would probably reach for the SAOS 7 more often.  ECBP is awesome!!  I think I'll have to have a pour of ECBP 138.8, and Barrel Bourbon 8 year store select.  

12 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Taking a dump, and sippin some OGD 114

Wow - TMI, but thanks for sharing!!!   So, tell me about the nose on your pour of OGD114?!?   :lol:

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Wow - TMI, but thanks for sharing!!!   So, tell me about the nose on your pour of OGD114?!?   :lol:

Notes of poop and wood rounds it out

Enjoying a quiet sunny evening with a pour of PVW 15 yo. 

Cheers ! 

Enjoying some age stated fighting cock along with pepper jack stuffed boudin. The Corn Crop is drying down, but received some much needed rain for the Soybeans & Cotton. Might finish the night off with a Single Barrel SAOS11 @ 102.4. Cheers!

Just finished sipping on the last pour from a SAOS10SB.  Got a taste that I haven't come across before, but that's not a bad thing.  Super Bubble bubble gum.

Now I've moved on to a fresh bottle of Contradiction.

Last night it was Buffalo Trace before dinner and ETL after whilesitting by the pool enjoying some nice weather on vacation.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.