What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a bottle of Woodford Brandy Finish.  Haven't cared for Masters Collection items in the past.  At $100 a bottle for the brandy cask finish, I passed it up.  On a different note, I really enjoy Woodford Reserve, Distiller's Select as an everyday bourbon.  I'll leave the masters collection stuff to the trendsetters-----too oldschool to fool with it anymore.

Passed on a bottle of Woodford Brandy Finish.  Haven't cared for Masters Collection items in the past.  At $100 a bottle for the brandy cask finish, I passed it up.  On a different note, I really enjoy Woodford Reserve, Distiller's Select as an everyday bourbon.  I'll leave the masters collection stuff to the trendsetters-----too oldschool to fool with it anymore.

I never tried any of the others, but I've read that a lot of them weren't that good, especially for the money. I did read a couple of good comments about this one though before I found it at my local store and decided to give it a go since I like good brandy/cognac too. Anyway, I really like this one. It won't be a daily pour at that price, but it was good enough that I bought another bottle for the bunker when I found it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ICPFRATN:  Wouldn't you know it?!  The one masters collection I decided not to try and I hear it is pretty good.  I may have to bend my stiff neck and try it after all.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  As for me----------we'll see :)

Passed on OF1920, WR Distillers Collection - because I wan't interested

Passed on THH, Lot B, ETL because my number wasn't drawn in the lottery - but I still had fun...

ICPFRATN:  Wouldn't you know it?!  The one masters collection I decided not to try and I hear it is pretty good.  I may have to bend my stiff neck and try it after all.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  As for me----------we'll see [emoji4]

I really think you should reconsider and give it a try. I'm not the only one who thinks it's pretty good.

Wouldn't you know it?!  The one masters collection I decided not to try and I hear it is pretty good.  I may have to bend my stiff neck and try it after all.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  As for me----------we'll see [emoji4]

Well after you have paid $100+ for a bottle you want it to be good so bad you can convince yourself it is good. If I have a chance to try a pour I will but won't buy a bottle until I do.

I think the Meijer's grocery store close to my house is toying with me. For months they've had Blanton's "on sale" for $54.99 instead of their usual $60something. I bought one in September, but since I've got a half dozen stashed away I keep passing them up. But the urge is always there.........

Then today, I notice they've marked them down to $53.99. Maybe I just need to wait a few more years to see how low they'll go? :D

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I think the Meijer's grocery store close to my house is toying with me. For months they've had Blanton's "on sale" for $54.99 instead of their usual $60something. I bought one in September, but since I've got a half dozen stashed away I keep passing them up. But the urge is always there.........

Then today, I notice they've marked them down to $53.99. Maybe I just need to wait a few more years to see how low they'll go? :D

Maybe you should have went to Schnuck's. It appears the bourbon from their St. Louis based stores has made it to Rockford. . ^_^  Both are bottled by Luxco. E. B. Schnucks is the 90 proof version, and Schnuck's Private Reserve is the BIB version. Prices weren't bad, but I passed.

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The Meijers in the indy area occasionally carried Blanton's for 49.99 but it sold out quickly .  The regular price was supposedly 64.99 but it was always on sale. Recently it was 54.99 on sale with a regular price of 69.99 but is generally sold out. Basically ,  a $5 bump. Most liquor stores sell it for $57.99 to 64.99 when they have it.

33 minutes ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Van Winkle 12 at $140.

Ditto.

More post like this and equilibrium will happen sooner instead of later.

Ditto.

More post like this and equilibrium will happen sooner instead of later.

I think we are getting closer to the breaking point regarding price, quality and availability for the annual and allocated releases than most might think. I know I wouldn't touch any of the 2016 BTAC series above MSRP except for maybe WLW, and even then, I'd probably only go up to $100.

A small local shop posted on Instagram that they received some Four Roses Elliott's Select. I stopped in and I decided to pass at the low, low price of $348.

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I think we are getting closer to the breaking point regarding price, quality and availability for the annual and allocated releases than most might think. I know I wouldn't touch any of the 2016 BTAC series above MSRP except for maybe WLW, and even then, I'd probably only go up to $100.

Haha.  If only.

6 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Van Winkle 12 at $140.

lottery this eve would had 300 folks ready to pay about that tonight.  SC free market pricing.....

For the "lucky" 12 or so people of the 300:

VW-

10 yr old 91.99

12 Spec Reserve 115.99

13yr Rye 170.99

15yr old   175.99

Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr 300.99

Pappy Van Winkle 23yr 529.99

10 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

lottery this eve would had 300 folks ready to pay about that tonight.  SC free market pricing.....

VW-

10 yr old 91.99

12 Spec Reserve 115.99

13yr Rye 170.99

15yr old   175.99

What's the "value play" here? The Rye?

20 minutes ago, RocAFella1 said:

What's the "value play" here? The Rye?

Of all those, it's probably the rye, considering that this is the last year of the tanked 19-year-old Bernheim/Medley blend. Next year it will presumably be 13-year-old BT distillate.  

8 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

A small local shop posted on Instagram that they received some Four Roses Elliott's Select. I stopped in and I decided to pass at the low, low price of $348.

That might win the award for most inflated price ever.  Don't know if I've ever seen 2x secondary at a retail shop before.

Saw a Lot 40 rye on the shelf of the store near where I work. Sadly my booze budget has to be on hold. Stupid holidays and buying other people things...

9 minutes ago, TehMik said:

Saw a Lot 40 rye on the shelf of the store near where I work. Sadly my booze budget has to be on hold. Stupid holidays and buying other people things...

I don't know if you had the previous release, but I'd say this release is even better...for whatever reason. It is certainly much cheaper. Last time it was in the $55 range around here. This time it was $29.99. They went fast!

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

That might win the award for most inflated price ever.  Don't know if I've ever seen 2x secondary at a retail shop before.

Randall's and Hi-Time come to mind.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:51 AM, Knocksville10 said:

Passed on W12 for $100. Guy tried to feel me that was a good price for our area. Granted, I've yet to find it on shelves in E. TN, but couldn't justify that price. Please tell me I didn't make a horrible mistake?

Grocery stores carrying liquor?  Never seen such a thing...  I'll take your word for it, though. 

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Grocery stores carrying liquor?  Never seen such a thing...  I'll take your word for it, though. 

No... it was a run of the mill LS.

17 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

VW-

10 yr old 91.99

12 Spec Reserve 115.99

13yr Rye 170.99

15yr old   175.99

I usually go to this one but last year he didn't publish what he had or prices - couldn't fit into the store even after getting there a 1/2 hour early and after I heard the price for EC18 was $185 before tax I left immediately - this year I didn't even register

Funniest thing was that of the "consolation" items several were available at the store within 1/4 mile for much less and sitting on the shelf... :) I just laughed and poured more RHF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.