What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on EHTBP for $200 in Atlanta on Wednesday, but got a bottle locally tonight for $80. I also passed on ETL in a different store from where I bought the EHTBP. I was asking about allocated bourbons and the store owner came out and said he had some pappy, but only three bottles and that he was sorry he couldn't sell one to me. He apologized for the lack of availability. I stop in this store often and talk to the staff, but don't buy much as their selection doesn't stray far from the readily available whiskeys so i was not put off at all that they didn't have one for me. He told me he did have some ETL and offered one to me. I thanked him and said it was a rare find, but that I had some at home and that I would leave it for someone who didn't have any yet. It felt good and I'll continue to pop in there.

Edited by Charlutz

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

I don't know of any stores locally that we're doing an open Lottery this year. Everything was going to established customer lists or closed lotteries for select customers only.

The DC area has a lot of variety.  DC itself is a free for all.  Virginia has wait lists and lotteries.  Maryland allows counties to decide how they handle liquor, so we ended up with one county that has ABC stores.  The ABC county does an open lottery.  There are one or two other stores outside of the ABC county that do lotteries.  The rest run the gamut:  they sell to select customers, refuse shipments of rare bourbons due to them not being worth the trouble, mark up to a comically large amount, host tastings with all their bottles, donate to private charity auctions, etc.  

On October 21, 2016 at 7:53 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on OF1920 for $51.99 at Costco.  Passing on it isn't really noteworthy.  What was noteworthy is they had close to 10 cases of it.  Interesting that this Costco has a new release of a currently limited whiskey, much less in that quantity.  I passed because I already have a bottle.  

I saw the 1920 for $52 and looked down at the OGD 114 for $17 a bottle. 3 bottles for a buck less. I'll take the one proof difference any day.

I saw the 1920 for $52 and looked down at the OGD 114 for $17 a bottle. 3 bottles for a buck less. I'll take the one proof difference any day.

Is that the only difference between those two?

WLW & THH at the New Hampshire Liquor Outlet Store in Nashua - MSP, too.  The wife an I went up and had dinner at MT's Local Kitchen & Winebar before staying o-nite at the Courtyard last night.  NH Nashua superstore was advertising putting a "limited amount" of bottles of WLW and THH on sale - 2 bottles of each (4 bottles total)/per person.  So we stopped in at about 9:30pm to check out the store.  People were already lining up to stay overnight to get their BTAC bottles!  We went in and had a chat with the manager - turns out he only had enough of WLW and THH for about 36 people.  Figured we'd have to be in line by 4ish to have a chance (they opened at 8 this morning).  Took a look at the wife and said "It's going to be down in the 20s tonight - wanna' stand in line for 4 hours?"

We had a very nice leisurely breakfast at a local diner this morning before heading home at 8am.  The madness is stong in some people, I guess.   :P 

I don't post to this thread much because I pass on a lot on a regular basis. Today though I was offer an AECS for $205. Having tasted it I can say it is delicious but still not to Benjamin delicious.

Did a little shopping today. Similar to Rich, most of my passes aren't noteworthy.  I did pass on the new Booker Noes Special Bourbon Sampler.  It has four 750 ml bottles of Bookers in a nice wood box.  It was $250.  I ended up buying a bottle of store select KCSB instead.  I also passed on an opportunity to enter a lottery for the right to buy THH, FRSmB LE 2016, HHMWND.  You had to be present to win and there really wasn't much of a crowd waiting, maybe 30 people.  I was more interested in the 15% off sale and just picking up things I was interested in and getting out of there.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Saw some good prices but still decided to pass. The Whistle Pig 15 Vermont Oak at $160 and and a KCSB store select at $42. 

Found a guy selling AE Cask for 350$. just too high for me unfortunately, though I LOVE AE and enjoyed the cask when I tried it at Westport this past july

most everything.

I don't often go to liquor stores anymore, as I have quite a lot of bourbon that I acquired before bourbon got as crazy as it is today. These days I go in, see a lot of stuff I don't recognize, and am blown away at the price increases Ive seen. Most of the everyday stuff, however, is still easily available and hasn't changed a lot in price. More or less, I get on here to see when things are being discontinued, so I have a heads up if it is something that I do enjoy I can go buy some extras. Things like EC12, JBB8, VOB6 going away...... I didn't care much, as those weren't my thing. But, this site did give me a heads up to load up on SAOS BP Rye and now OGD114.

Dick

Edited by Whiskey Dick

On 11/17/2016 at 4:34 PM, Clueby said:

Re: Michter's...I visited the Pennsylvania distillery in the 80's sometime (prior to turning 21).  They claimed it was the oldest distillery in the country at the time.  They were also making their own charcoal onsite (a version of the Lincoln County process?  I don't remember).  It was a quaint place.  I assume they were actually MAKING whiskey there.  I even bought a bottle of their "original sour mash" at the gift shop.  I drank the whiskey but kept the bottle for a LONG time but I'm pretty sure it's gone now.  I still have the pamphlet from the visitor's center though.

Don't know if you're aware but that distillery closed in 1990 and has nothing to do with the current Michter's. The current company bought the name and has no connection with the old PA distiller.

Edited by mosugoji64

16 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Don't know if you're aware but that distillery closed in 1990 and has nothing to do with the current Michter's. The current company bought the name and has no connection with the old PA distiller.

I knew that distillery closed. It was probably 1986 or so when i was there. I wasn't sure about ownership of the brand but it makes sense.

12 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Saw another Parker's for $400. Easy pass. 

I paid close to $400 for my first car in 1978.  My guess is that it lasted longer than a Parker's would.  Of course, back then, a Parker's or anything with alcohol wouldn't have lasted the night at a high school party.  :lol:

I passed on the new fancy ECNAS bottle and a bunch of others.

Incidentally, I also passed up an entire shelf full of High West Midwinter Night's Dram 4.5 for $90, so if anyone in Maryland is looking for that, feel free to PM me.

Busy weekend...

On Friday of last week, I saw at noon that a local store posted on Facebook that they had a list of allocated whiskies for sale, first come first served.  I looked down the list and saw 2 bottle of EHT Seasoned Wood for $89.  I called immediately and asked them to hold a bottle so the woman took my name.  All excited, then I get a call back that they were already gone.  This was <15 minutes after it was posted on Facebook.  Crazy.  They had a bunch of other stuff but notable passes were PHC from this year @ $350, EHT BP @ $99, KC 2001 @ $150, WT Master's Keep @ $200, and OFBB '16 @ $99.  I usually make a trip there every week or so, so after work I stopped by and picked up a bottle of RHF for $70, which is $20 more than my last bottle several years ago.  Troubling times.

Also at Binny's this weekend I passed on several store select KCSB and OGD114 @ $28, which wasn't that difficult since I can get it cheaper.  Starting to wonder if the 3 bottles I have in the bunker are enough given the uncertain future of OGD114.

Jason

2 hours ago, jp_stargazer said:

Busy weekend...

On Friday of last week, I saw at noon that a local store posted on Facebook that they had a list of allocated whiskies for sale, first come first served.  I looked down the list and saw 2 bottle of EHT Seasoned Wood for $89.  I called immediately and asked them to hold a bottle so the woman took my name.  All excited, then I get a call back that they were already gone.  This was <15 minutes after it was posted on Facebook.  Crazy.  They had a bunch of other stuff but notable passes were PHC from this year @ $350, EHT BP @ $99, KC 2001 @ $150, WT Master's Keep @ $200, and OFBB '16 @ $99.  I usually make a trip there every week or so, so after work I stopped by and picked up a bottle of RHF for $70, which is $20 more than my last bottle several years ago.  Troubling times.

Also at Binny's this weekend I passed on several store select KCSB and OGD114 @ $28, which wasn't that difficult since I can get it cheaper.  Starting to wonder if the 3 bottles I have in the bunker are enough given the uncertain future of OGD114.

Jason

From what I've read the future of OGD114 is not uncertain.

Hello,

Came across my first bottle of Black Maple Hill.  Sadly, it was the rye and not the bourbon and for $110 I moved on. 

5 hours ago, BourbonHawk said:

Hello,

Came across my first bottle of Black Maple Hill.  Sadly, it was the rye and not the bourbon and for $110 I moved on. 

Not to worry. The bourbon sucks too. 

16 minutes ago, flahute said:

Not to worry. The bourbon sucks too. 

By this time, probably worse than the rye, I bet.

11 hours ago, jp_stargazer said:

Busy weekend...

Jason

I just bought 2 cases of OGD114 and am contemplating a 3rd.

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Passed on 4R Elliott's Select at $269 and ECBP at $60.

that's a good price for ECBP, you should go back and grab it!

6 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

that's a good price for ECBP, you should go back and grab it!

Yeah..that would have come home with me!  The last bottle I got was $65.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.