What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I just bought 2 cases of OGD114 and am contemplating a 3rd.

Have a total of 16 bottles of OGD 114 in the bunker. Bought the last 10 bottles for $10.99 a bottle. Will continue to buy if it stays at that price till it is all gone.

I had HWMWND in my hands with a $10 coupon for $80 net. Held it for ten minutes but ultimately put it back on the shelf. Just couldn't do it. I'm not a big fan of finished whiskeys yet as I find the finish offputting with the exception of 1792PF. The comments here were the only thing that made me consider it but I'm going to need to try it first. 

46 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I had HWMWND in my hands with a $10 coupon for $80 net. Held it for ten minutes but ultimately put it back on the shelf. Just couldn't do it. I'm not a big fan of finished whiskeys yet as I find the finish offputting with the exception of 1792PF. The comments here were the only thing that made me consider it but I'm going to need to try it first. 

I felt that way about Yippee Ki-Yay but tried it anyway.  I wasn't a big fan of it on first try but the vermouthy-ness has subsided somewhat and its growing on me.  It was "only" $60.  

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I felt that way about Yippee Ki-Yay but tried it anyway.  I wasn't a big fan of it on first try but the vermouthy-ness has subsided somewhat and its growing on me.  It was "only" $60.  

MWND is more balanced than Yippee Ki-Yay. The vermouth was so strong in the YKY that I ended up mostly pouring it on ice and adding a dash of bitters.

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Are you a rye fan?  If so, and I had to guess one way or the other, I would guess that you'd like HWMWND.  I love the stuff.  Most people love the stuff.  There's gotta be something to it.  And we are getting into peak and prime HWMWND season right now!  Getting colder, the holidays coming up.  It's your money and all, but I would pick that up if I were you.  Just my .02 cents.

29 minutes ago, amg said:

MWND is more balanced than Yippee Ki-Yay. The vermouth was so strong in the YKY that I ended up mostly pouring it on ice and adding a dash of bitters.

I did try it (YKY) with scotch rocks vs. ice. It benefitted from the cold.  The vermouth has subsided some after being open for a month or so but its still pretty present.  I didnt't try hitting it with some bitters.  Right out of the bottle I thought it tasted like an extra strong Manhattan.  Weirdly, I shared some with a co-worker and he said he really didn't get any vermouth from it at all and just thought it was a nice rye. ?!

I passed on a bottle of MWND last year at $99.  I have yet to find it any cheaper or try it.

Stopped by Binnys today for a bottle of wine, no bourbon really popped out.  However, I did see Old Ezra 7/101 for the first time.  I was tempted, but $24.99 seemed high based on the prices everyone here gets it for.  My budget bourbon will continue to be JW Dant BIB.  Can't beat it IMO for $23/L.

Edited by Golzee

Today was my first sighting of the non-age stated KC.  Pretty easy pass @ $26.99, as the age stated handle beside it was only $56.99.:P

So, as I relish this brief moment... 

Have a total of 16 bottles of OGD 114 in the bunker. Bought the last 10 bottles for $10.99 a bottle. Will continue to buy if it stays at that price till it is all gone.

Wow, I wish I could buy it at even twice that price. OGD114 ranges from $25 to $30+ in west Tennessee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow, I wish I could buy it at even twice that price. OGD114 ranges from $25 to $30+ in west Tennessee.

I see the same prices on my travels through MD, DE, NJ. PA stopped carrying it, and now I buy any bottle I see under$26.

I would pick up HWMWD all day long, it comes and goes very quickly in CO, one minute its there and you think"let me think about it" then you go back and its gone, its a perfect after dinner, desert, cold night kind of pour. Its not an every day drink but right now Winter is starting to arrive in CO and HWMWD is in the rotation.

13 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

that's a good price for ECBP, you should go back and grab it!

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

Yeah..that would have come home with me!  The last bottle I got was $65.

Well, I have some bunkered for less.  I don't really like to pay a dealer's 30% markup over MSRP for something that's somewhat available at least.  A once per year limited release? Sure.  But not this one.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Well, I have some bunkered for less.  I don't really like to pay a dealer's 30% markup over MSRP for something that's somewhat available at least.  A once per year limited release? Sure.  But not this one.

wow, then lucky you!  I've only seen it at the lowest, $60 around these parts, which I thought was MSRP

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

If $45-$46 is your normal price for ECBP than you are living in some rarified air. It's $55 - $60 if not more for most of the country.

If $45-$46 is your normal price for ECBP than you are living in some rarified air. It's $55 - $60 if not more for most of the country.

It's $60-$70 in my neck of the woods. I jump on it when I find it for $60.

HWYKY is $54.99 and HWMWND is $64.99 OTD around these parts.  Waiting for MWND Act 4, Scene 4 to show up at my back door now.   Act 4.1 & 4.3 have already hit the big green bin, tho'.  YMMV!   :wub:

Haven't seen the 136 pf ECBP, tho'.  Waiting patiently . . . . . . .  :D

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling corrections

13 hours ago, Tanger11 said:

I see the same prices on my travels through MD, DE, NJ. PA stopped carrying it, and now I buy any bottle I see under$26.

Wow... I'd drink a lot more OGD114 at those prices... Michigan state minimum shelf price is $32.99!

Edited by JTaylor

52 minutes ago, Pjcowboy said:

ETL for $199 at 2 different stores

ECBP for $249

RHF for $100

Unreal out there.

That's some crazy shit right there!

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Re: ECBP Yeah..I agree with others.  The ONE AND ONLY bottle I've ever seen on a shelf in over 2 years was priced at $65 and I bought it. It didn't even have a pricing spot on the shelf or a sticker so i had to take it to the register to find out how much. I thought $59.99 was the new MSRP for it.  I don't see it being "somewhat available" at all and it is only twice a year release, correct?

As for HWYKY, it was $54.99+tax when I bought it although I've seen it for more.  The only time I've ever seen MWND on a shelf it was $99.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Re: ECBP Yeah..I agree with others.  The ONE AND ONLY bottle I've ever seen on a shelf in over 2 years was priced at $65 and I bought it. It didn't even have a pricing spot on the shelf or a sticker so i had to take it to the register to find out how much. I thought $59.99 was the new MSRP for it.  I don't see it being "somewhat available" at all and it is only twice a year release, correct?

As for HWYKY, it was $54.99+tax when I bought it although I've seen it for more.  The only time I've ever seen MWND on a shelf it was $99.

ECBP is still $49.99 at Virginia ABC stores so I think that's likely MSRP. I think they usually release 3-4 per year (I think 10-12 all came out this year).

I was at my local store last night and the Sazerac stuff must have been delivered yesterday.  There was a case of ER10, Blanton's, EHTSmB, and two cases of BT and BT Bourbon Cream sitting on the floor.  The devil on my shoulder kept telling me to buy the ER10 or EHTSmB case ($32.50 and $40 per bottle, respectively, in a 6 bottle case) since both are favorites of mine.  I did not ask if there was a case discount because an affirmative answer probably would have been the tipping point.  All of the BT products I listed are almost always available around me but who knows how long that will last.

Jason

Bottle's of Old "Rip Off" Van Winkle 10 year came in....$300 each at local store.  I've had the ORVW10, and I just couldn't justify spending that much on a 10 year old bottle of brown water.  Some joker with more money than sense bought six bottles after I passed.  Since I doubt he could "flip" those for much higher than he bought them, and since there are much cheaper, equally good (if not better) 10 yr old wheaters available (I'm looking at YOU, Rebel Yell Single Barrel!), I can only assume he bought them for the admiration he'll get from his buddies when they see the Old Rip Van Pimple bottles on his bar.  External validation makes people do stupid things.

The good news was the store also received case of ETL at $39ea, so bought a couple for the bunker. :D

Edited by starhopper

On 11/22/2016 at 1:32 PM, Ryber70 said:

That is a great deal!  Everyone has favorites that they want to stock up on when they are going to be discontinued.  I wish I would have done so with OC10 and the old WTR101.  While I like OGD114, I prefer OGD BIB.  However, at $10.99 a bottle, I would buy as many as I could of either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.