What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a healthy pour of OF1920 while watching some college basketball. Getting maple and butterscotch on the nose with that butterscotch to start my mouthful then LOTS of chocolate through the middle and ending with something cinnamon-y and long warm finish.... I'm an Old Forester guy and I'm enjoying my evening!

Started with the last pour of a MM46 cask strength. I don't know what it is with this bourbon and it's MM46 little brother, but I tussle with it. Some days I think it's divine, other days I can hardly stomach it. It's something with those finishing staves I guess. No other bourbon is this bipolar to me. Tonight's pour was the latter and I was actually getting a stomach ache so I made the tough call to pour it down the drain. I just don't get it. Well, the good news is that there's one I don't need to worry about purchasing and bunkering if it ever runs into supply problems.

Following with 4RSiB and all is good in the world again.

After a great Whiskey Wednesday tasting at the Loch & K(e)y Society (lots of old dusties and a couple of newly availables), headed over to the "Whiskey Den" for a wee dram of RHF, followed by a generous pour of '14 WLW last night (had to drive home after a snow squall).  Nice to have great friends, eh?   :D

Finished the night with a couple pours from a 375 of OC10 which I enjoyed very much - in regards to the comments earlier in the thread about OC101 that's another I enjoy neat as well but only seem to find it in SC or TN 

13 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I'm enjoying some WT101, though the vehicle is not the usual... My sick wife took her time at home to make my favorite dessert, bread pudding and bourbon sauce. 

IMG_2527.JPG

That was very nice of her.

22 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Is that the black label bottle?

No.  I think it was white.

Still working on this bottle of ETL.

IMG_0416_zpsxlc9kr82.jpg

Edited by MTNBourbon

^I'll copy ya^

Opened a B15 ETL on new years and it's quite nice so far, the spice is a lot deeper than my last and less fruity.

50 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Still working on this bottle of ETL.

IMG_0416_zpsxlc9kr82.jpg

Just finished a pour of ETL myself and it really hit the spot tonight. I really should start checking around for my next bottle, I seemed to have been at the right place at the right time when I got my current bottle.

21 minutes ago, Agalloch said:

Just finished a pour of ETL myself and it really hit the spot tonight. I really should start checking around for my next bottle, I seemed to have been at the right place at the right time when I got my current bottle.

I still have another bottle in the bunker.:)

Booker's, followed by some SAOS 7 year rye

I've really become quite the MGP rye whore

Started the evening with a healthy pour of SAOS10 SiB.  

Now I am having a smaller pour of RY10SB, I really like this bottle.

Canada and USA tied 4-4 at World Juniors Ice Hockey.  Let's go USA.

After all the recent talk, I couldn't resist pulling out my bottle and diving in.

I think it tastes like  Eagle Rare 10's little brother, with honey. Nice vanilla and cherry flavors as well....and that familiar Buffalo Trace mustiness.

The 101 proof really helps hide its youth.

What a fantastic pour at a bargain price.

IMAG1731[2].jpg

Edited by 0895

I've been fighting a head cold, so my first pour since Saturday turned out to be a bottle kill, one finger dab of EC NAS.  That didn't hurt too bad, so I cracked a KCSB (13 year old/PS) for a two finger spin. 

Neat, this has a great nose with a thick, chewy mouthfeel.  The force is strong here with leather and tobacco dominating.  There is little to no burn on entry, but the proof/heat does reveal itself (albeit rather gently) coming back up on the finish, which is lengthy.  As the finish slowly wanes, I'm left with a mouth coating of oaked caramel, and a bit of cinnamon.  

The 120 proof is hidden very well here, while the time in the barrel pushes forward to grab the most attention.  Even neat, this is smooth, easy drinking, but I look forward to exploring with this one a bit at various proofs.  My goal will be to find a bit more balance, and fruit, without harming the finish.  I'm guessing this thing will sing at around 108-112 proof!      

^^^^^Nice. Well done.

Sipping on some RR6yr Rye followed by 4RSiB. After my holiday extravaganza which primarily consisted of barrel proofers, it's good to downshift into some regular pours that don't need any adjustment and that don't burn out my palate. 

12 hours ago, stoopsie said:

e3ccad5796c3b7d5c60d404973b70781.jpg

Having one of my new favorites tonight. Old Forester single barrel from Montgomery County.

That would be a nice one to try.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, MOwhisky4me said:

Having a healthy pour of OF1920 while watching some college basketball. Getting maple and butterscotch on the nose with that butterscotch to start my mouthful then LOTS of chocolate through the middle and ending with something cinnamon-y and long warm finish.... I'm an Old Forester guy and I'm enjoying my evening!

I just bought this myself and am shockingly impressed! It's better than OFBB in my mind, and is priced within reason around $55. I've never understood why the love for OFBB. On paper it should be OK at 12yr but to me it's always had faults.

2 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

That would be a nice one to try.

The only problem I have with it is that it's 90 proof, $50 and I THINK (could be wrong, didn't read the label too closely) NAS. I passed this up earlier in the week in MoCo but may go back for one eventually due to curiousity getting the better of me.

6 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

The only problem I have with it is that it's 90 proof, $50 and I THINK (could be wrong, didn't read the label too closely) NAS. I passed this up earlier in the week in MoCo but may go back for one eventually due to curiousity getting the better of me.

Yeah, $50 a little steep, not knowing age, but single barrel at least, 90 proof.

15 hours ago, Hop said:

OE7 101 simply amazing and not just for the price

Good to hear.  I have one in the bunker that I picked up on a trip to PA.  I haven't seen it locally. May have to give it a try soon.

15 hours ago, stoopsie said:

e3ccad5796c3b7d5c60d404973b70781.jpg

Having one of my new favorites tonight. Old Forester single barrel from Montgomery County.

Have you tried their single barrels of WR?

My first pour of 2017 was FR SmB 2016, another great batch by FR. I've  planned to open the McKenna 10 BIB but finally I've decided that I have too many open bottles. I'm gonna kill a few before opening something new. 

Cheers ! 

Will 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.