What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 minutes ago, Fort Knox said:

Started off the evening with a couple pours of OGD114, then moved to a couple pours of Booker's (Toogie's), now I'm having a bit of MWND for dessert.

I did it backwards. Had some Yippee Ki-Yay with a home made brownie my daughter made and now finishing off the night with some OGD114.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I did it backwards. Had some Yippee Ki-Yay with a home made brownie my daughter made and now finishing off the night with some OGD114.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

Ages range from 21 to Methuselah around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wondered what Squire's last name was. ;)

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I always wondered what Squire's last name was. ;)

LOL - great way to start off the morning :) 

I've wanted to have a pour alongside my weekend morning cup of coffee for quite a while now, but it seems my wife and I always have something to do that keeps this from happening. I said screw it this morning. Even though we have things to do, Mrs Fishnbowljoe can do the driving today! :rolleyes:

Continuing with my recent vatting escapades, I had a pour containing a mix of Lot B and ORVW 10, alongside my cup of coffee this morning. (In my sb coffee mug of course!) I agree with Will in that with fresh tastebuds, everything seems to taste a little bit better. :D

As I believe I've stated elsewhere, this bottle of Lot B isn't the best I've ever had. The last Lot B I had was thick and sweet. This one's a bit dry and tannic. That's why I've been experimenting with it. Adding the ORVW fixes things quite nicely. I noticed something a little different though. It seems with a number of things, I get a pecan nuttiness. Not so with my vatting this morning. A nutty smell and flavor was there, and I was thinking it might be walnut. I had my wife nose my glass. She immediately said almond extract. Bingo!  Almond, caramel and vanilla goodness in a glass. It don't git much bettern' that Vern. :P

Cheers! Joe

morning.jpeg

EWSB 2004 private store pick by Liquor Outlet Wine in Boonton, NJ.  Barrel #1100824 from 6th floor of S Warehouse.  10 YO.  At 86.6proof, wish it was BIB.  But what is there is stellar.  Nose is vanilla/butterscotch barrel notes.  Flavor follows the nose but add a touch of orange rind.  Little burn but surprising persistence.  If this were a barrel proofer, I'd put it up against ECSB or Stagg Jr. expecting a close contest.

I enjoyed a glass of this Four Roses private selection. A 10 years old OESO. 

Cheers! 

Will.

IMG_7968.JPG

2 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

I enjoyed a glass of this Four Roses private selection. A 10 years old OESO. 

Cheers! 

Will.

How is you like the FR OESO recipe? I run on U.S. Central here in Louisiana. It must be around 8 in Belgium right now. Y'all always get the jump on drinking whiskey! :D

Cheers, Jeff

43 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

How is you like the FR OESO recipe? I run on U.S. Central here in Louisiana. It must be around 8 in Belgium right now. Y'all always get the jump on drinking whiskey! :D

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff, 

It's quite nice, reminds a lot the 2016 smb.

a few drop of water makes it shine. 

Youre right it's 8pm, now, 9pm. 

I apologize in advance but I don't understand the meaning of your last sentence "y'all always get..." 

By the way, Lousianna is a beautiful state, my wife favorite. Great people, great food, awesome landscape. 

Now as a night cap, GTS 15 

Cheers! 

Will

IMG_7971.JPG

39 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Hi Jeff, 

It's quite nice, reminds a lot the 2016 smb.

a few drop of water makes it shine. 

Youre right it's 8pm, now, 9pm. 

I apologize in advance but I don't understand the meaning of your last sentence "y'all always get..." 

By the way, Lousianna is a beautiful state, my wife favorite. Great people, great food, awesome landscape. 

Now as a night cap, GTS 15 

Cheers! 

Will

Louisiana is wonderful. Work Hard & Play Harder. You all always get the jump on drinking whiskey. If you have a drink @ 5 p.m. then I read about it at 10 a.m. here. My wife would probably kick me out for drinking at 10 a.m. It's hard to convince them that it's always 5 o'clock somewhere! :D

Glad you are enjoying it Will.

Cheers, Jeff

26 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Louisiana is wonderful. Work Hard & Play Harder. You all always get the jump on drinking whiskey. If you have a drink @ 5 p.m. then I read about it at 10 a.m. here. My wife would probably kick me out for drinking at 10 a.m. It's hard to convince them that it's always 5 o'clock somewhere! :D

Glad you are enjoying it Will.

Cheers, Jeff

Now i get it. Thx.

Cheers!

Will

About 2 fingers worth of EC12 poured over a large chunk of ice then topped off with about a finger of OFSig.... Both are favorites of mine and the combo seems to work out just fine!

I had my wife pick a pour for me to taste blind. Turns out that when I don't know I'm drinking a Beam product, I don't pick up the Beam yeasty/funky taste. Long story short, I enjoyed some JB Double Oak more than usual.

Edited by emr454
Spelling

OF 1920.

Opened it earlier today and let it air out in the cabinet. Got to say, when he door was opened, a most inviting smell wafted out.

A small pour after tree trimming in the snow certainly is in order.

Cheers

B

15 minutes ago, BFerguson said:

OF 1920.

Opened it earlier today and let it air out in the cabinet. Got to say, when he door was opened, a most inviting smell wafted out.

A small pour after tree trimming in the snow certainly is in order.

Cheers

B

Having some of this now. I poured a glass then went and did some things around the house. Came back and it was a sweet, dark, chocolatey smell. This is definitely my favorite new release in a long time. Will be getting more of it. I have a small sample bottle poured for a coworker.

Vat of BT:OGD114 - nice watching the Falcons help the Seahawks implode!   :D

Out by the fire cooking some ribeyes tonight. 

Having a pour of HM 10y 

Life is good, for us LA boysimage.jpg

Edited by LCWoody

Having a nice pour of Old Forester Single Barrel while watching the Atlanta Falcons dismantle the Seatle Seahogs.    Figured the Seahogs weren't as good as the Detroit Lions made 'em look.     Oh, Well.

OK, enough Irish for today...for no other reason that I'm plowing through the Writer's Tears Red Head at such a rate that I might finish it...;)  So, on to Knob Creek! Such a nice strong oakiness that is in such contrast to the WTRH that it just leaps from the glass, and keeps a firm grasp while guiding the whiskey over the palate.  

Started the evening with OF Sig, then tried the same with a nice big ice cube (okay, but I prefer straight with a glass of ice water between sips).

Went to Evan Williams SIngle Barrel 20008, which was very nice and sweet and caramel-y, but light....  Followed with EC12 because I'm weighting a mass-purchase of ma & pa bottles.  Have to say, tonight it didn't appeal...sometimes the wood is all I taste with this bottle.  (Other times it seems like the best bottle ever.)  Right now, on an OF100 Paper Label dusty -- very much like the Sig, no doubt, but a tad sweeter and rounder.  For me, this is what capital B Bourbon tastes like.  The finish lasts forever, and reminds me of OWA -- but with a bigger, rounder bottom.

I'm gonna finish with the fishnet bottle: only way I know to top this all off right now... 

of1920.JPG

Edited by Steve L

21 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I need to pick up another bottle of Pikesville soon, some of my favorite whiskey.  I keep telling my friends even if they don't like ryes, or any other whiskies sides Bourbons and/or Scotches, to try PV and it could be a game changer.

Pikesville is one of my favorite whiskeys and, easily, among the favorite new introductions to the market in the last 5 years.  ECBP would be another.

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Now i get it. Thx.

Cheers!

Will

Yeah, I always get lost as to what time it is when I read your posts.  You are usually drinking when I am working. :lol:

Opened a PS SB 1792 and proceeded to kill it off tonight.  Very smooth, with some dried ripe fruit notes and little to no burn on the finish.  Also had  pour of CEHT rye and HHBIB to cap the evening off.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Started the evening with OF Sig, then tried the same with a nice big ice cube (okay, but I prefer straight with a glass of ice water between sips).

Went to Evan Williams SIngle Barrel 20008, which was very nice and sweet and caramel-y, but light....  Followed with EC12 because I'm weighting a mass-purchase of ma & pa bottles.  Have to say, tonight it didn't appeal...sometimes the wood is all I taste with this bottle.  (Other times it seems like the best bottle ever.)  Right now, on an OF100 Paper Label dusty -- very much like the Sig, no doubt, but a tad sweeter and rounder.  For me, this is what capital B Bourbon tastes like.  The finish lasts forever, and reminds me of OWA -- but with a bigger, rounder bottom.

I'm gonna finish with the fishnet bottle to top this all off.  Only way I know to top this all off right now... 

of1920.JPG

I know what you are saying about EC12.  I always liked it but sometimes it seemed too woody.  Others times it was perfect.  I found EC18 way too woody.  However, when I mixed it 50:50 with EC12, it was awesome.  I really enjoy the EC NAS more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.