What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First pour from my new bottle of Charter 101. It's a nice pour for what it is. I do get the honey flavor that was mentioned.  Never would have tried it if it wasn't for this board. Thanks for the tip. 

Revisiting a bottle of CEHTSB I opened some time ago and wasn't that impressed, felt the same after the first sip this time.  Just something off in the flavors but the finish was great so I kept at it for a few sips then added a bit of limestone water - that cleared up the flavor issue and the finish remained great so I'm back for a second pour.

Good pic Lloyd. I felt the need to represent the LA boys too. It 61 & the stars are bright tonight! Have the family, football, radio, & whiskey! Life is good my friend!

image.jpeg

Had some KCSB Louisville Bourbon Society selection while watching the epic Green Bay/Dallas game. What a pour and what a finish in that game.

4 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

I didn't even put what whiskey I was enjoying. SAOS7 Batch #184. Great Night!

After looking at all that beef on the grill I didn't care what whiskey you were drinking!   :D  

VOB BIB, here.  

Celebrating the Green Bay victory with some OF1920. Though the Seahawks and Browns are my teams, I grew up rooting for the Packers due to my mom being from Wisconsin and me being a Navy brat with no roots who lived someplace new every 2-3 years. 

Hoping the second game will be as good as the first. The night is young for us on the west coast so I have many pours left to ponder.

Started off with ETL, then a pour of Michter's 10yr and now Hibiki 12yr for a nightcap.  This second game will run way too late for me, getting ready for season premiere of Homeland.

2 hours ago, Louisiana said:

I didn't even put what whiskey I was enjoying. SAOS7 Batch #184. Great Night!

That's a very good batch (184), looks good. I took my left over ribeyes and made quesadillas today after church.

Enjoying a very nice glass of SAOS tonight.

13 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Very Nice! Still have a bottle myself opened.

Nice! Drink it up.

12 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Nice! I've  been searching for that one for a while now...

Hope you get one JT. I enjoy this release.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

After looking at all that beef on the grill I didn't care what whiskey you were drinking!   :D  

VOB BIB, here.  

It was as good as it looked. We are feeding out 5 steers right now. Some of that good ole corn feed beef! :)

54 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

That's a very good batch (184), looks good. I took my left over ribeyes and made quesadillas today after church.

Enjoying a very nice glass of SAOS tonight.

Your on the right track for sure. Enjoy those Ribeyes & that SAOS.

Edited by Louisiana

Did a blind SBS with diluted samples of WTRB, Bookers, and 1792 FP (all diluted to 107 - so barely for the WTRB).  My ol factory wasn't in great shape, so needs repeating - but on this particular given Sunday I found I preferred the Bookers (damn them!), followed by the 1792, with WTRB last (although all were fairly close).  The 1792 was the sweetest of the bunch, but the dilution left it feeling a bit thin, where the Bookers had the best balance between oak and sweetness, with a silky mouthfeel.  The WTRB was also more balanced than the 1792, but seemed muted (and being so close to the bottling proof - was a primary indicator that something was off; as I rarely find it muted when sipped neat from the bottle).  Also was disappointed that I couldn't pick out all three (pegged the 1792, but had the others flipped - perhaps wishful thinking of NOT wanting to like Bookers as much!)

perhaps wishful thinking of NOT wanting to like Bookers as much!

I feel the same (as I think many others do) in that Bookers is one great bourbon. If it wasn't widely appreciated as a Hallmark brand there wouldn't be hundreds of hate posts about the expected price increases.

After frying up some fresh Bluegill and homemade fries for lunch, I opted for a WTRRSiB Store Selection for the start of the Green Bay/Dallas game. Wow, I hadn't hit the RR in a few months and it was delicious. That seems to be my criteria for selecting a pour nowadays... I stand there and stare at all the open ones and try to decide if I really have a taste for a particular juice and / or which one I haven't had in a while... With 30 something open bottles the decision is almost always a difficult one. The hardship is almost unbearable... But thanks to you guys and this support group I think I'll pull through... :D

On 1/15/2017 at 9:45 AM, jeffrey r said:

El Vino, as usual, we share many of the same private selections from Liquor Outlet. I have a few bottles left from this barrel, and it is a nice one. Had a pour the other night.

acdd218c75ee9d886fdc5e793c029ec3.jpg

Jeffrey: To my regret, I only bought one. Did you happen to notice that the barrel number on the front label is different than the barrel number on the back label? Any idea why that would be?  EV

IMG_1434.JPG

I'm working down some more low fill bottles, so once again, my version of the SB Blend. A PS OWA and PS Weller SR:P

Cheers! Joe

23 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

First pour from my new bottle of Charter 101. It's a nice pour for what it is. I do get the honey flavor that was mentioned.  Never would have tried it if it wasn't for this board. Thanks for the tip. 

Trying this for the first time today too.  Really enjoying it.  A little heat there -- I definitely get all of that 101 proof.   But a surprisingly long and easy finish.  I get the honey, and a nice sustained cinnamon note too.

Revisiting an old friend today. OGDBIB. It's been a while. I usually only go to you when I'm having a bad palate today, like today, because you always come through when no other does. It's a disservice really. You should also be enjoyed on good palate days. I shall endeavor to do this.

Twas a MGPI night last night... Started with a Batch 12 8yo Backbone Uncut and followed with a SAOS SiB. I enjoyed both...

Edited by JTaylor

dSculptor blend last night - ER10:BT:StaggJr, 2:1:1.  Delicious, as always, thank you very much.    :)

Its tax time and looks like I might owe again :angry: so I'm reaching for something strong :blink:

Some EW BIB sounds like a good start, maybe OGD 114 after that

Edited by emr454
Forgot to add bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.