What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been on the rye train all week. Finally deviated with some ECNAS. I have to say that I'm impressed with this particular NAS bottle. Sometimes, I taste the oak at levels that would make me think this is all 12yrs or older in the bottle. Other times, it's simply an oak backbone that's carrying a caramel creme flavor that coats the mouth. If HH can keep it going like this, we are in good shape.

Finished off a bottle of WTR 101 and opened a new bottle of CEHT SmB.  Its been a while on the small batch.  The first taste revealed the hint of cherry that I really enjoy.  I did a little Googling just to determine the age.  It appears the consensus is 7 to 8 years old.  While the proof is higher than BT, the flavor profile is more complex.  Given they are the same age, it is difficult to believe they are from the same mashbill distilled by the same producer.

25 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

Small shot of WT101, sipped neat and slowly.  Tasty.

Im having a pour of WT101 myself, a sip of the stuff has never dissappointed me.

Edited by Agalloch

Enjoyed some HMcK BiB tonight as a mixer during the football games.  NFL can't be happy with 'non-competitive games'.  At least the refreshments were good.

6 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, I always get lost as to what time it is when I read your posts.  You are usually drinking when I am working. :lol:

We are not so much from overseas in this forum. Usually, when I read most of the post, I'm at work too. ;)

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Finished off a bottle of WTR 101 and opened a new bottle of CEHT SmB.  Its been a while on the small batch.  The first taste revealed the hint of cherry that I really enjoy.  I did a little Googling just to determine the age.  It appears the consensus is 7 to 8 years old.  While the proof is higher than BT, the flavor profile is more complex.  Given they are the same age, it is difficult to believe they are from the same mashbill distilled by the same producer.

Location, location, location... :)

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've wanted to have a pour alongside my weekend morning cup of coffee for quite a while now, but it seems my wife and I always have something to do that keeps this from happening. I said screw it this morning. Even though we have things to do, Mrs Fishnbowljoe can do the driving today! :rolleyes:

Continuing with my recent vatting escapades, I had a pour containing a mix of Lot B and ORVW 10, alongside my cup of coffee this morning. (In my sb coffee mug of course!) I agree with Will in that with fresh tastebuds, everything seems to taste a little bit better. :D

As I believe I've stated elsewhere, this bottle of Lot B isn't the best I've ever had. The last Lot B I had was thick and sweet. This one's a bit dry and tannic. That's why I've been experimenting with it. Adding the ORVW fixes things quite nicely. I noticed something a little different though. It seems with a number of things, I get a pecan nuttiness. Not so with my vatting this morning. A nutty smell and flavor was there, and I was thinking it might be walnut. I had my wife nose my glass. She immediately said almond extract. Bingo!  Almond, caramel and vanilla goodness in a glass. It don't git much bettern' that Vern. :P

Cheers! Joe

morning.jpeg

Very Nice!

15 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Haven't had this one in a while. It's definitely as good as I remember!

IMG_0495.JPG

Very Nice! Still have a bottle myself opened.

EWSB 2004 private store pick by Liquor Outlet Wine in Boonton, NJ.  Barrel #1100824 from 6th floor of S Warehouse.  10 YO.  At 86.6proof, wish it was BIB.  But what is there is stellar.  Nose is vanilla/butterscotch barrel notes.  Flavor follows the nose but add a touch of orange rind.  Little burn but surprising persistence.  If this were a barrel proofer, I'd put it up against ECSB or Stagg Jr. expecting a close contest.

El Vino, as usual, we share many of the same private selections from Liquor Outlet. I have a few bottles left from this barrel, and it is a nice one. Had a pour the other night.

acdd218c75ee9d886fdc5e793c029ec3.jpg

15 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Haven't had this one in a while. It's definitely as good as I remember!

IMG_0495.JPG

Nice! I've  been searching for that one for a while now...

Went to a local theater last night with my wife, son, and his GF that has seating with tables and serves food.  First time there and it was pretty enjoyable with the exception that they serve beer and wine as their only AB's.  I forgot to load the flask and bring my own glass for this trip but will remember next time 

Just finished a pour of the 2016 Michter's 20 a friend offered me. It was spicier than I expected, and there was nothing about it that would suggest there is any S-W in it at this point. Still good whiskey but not worth the secondary market hype

26 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Just finished a pour of the 2016 Michter's 20 a friend offered me. It was spicier than I expected, and there was nothing about it that would suggest there is any S-W in it at this point. Still good whiskey but not worth the secondary market hype

Likewise the 2015. Think whatever access they had to S-W distillate is used up. That ship has sailed but the price continues to require major puckering of the sphincter.   

29 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

And not worth the primary market price.

Did a blind tasting tonight with a few friends. There were mixed reviews but my rankings were: FRSiB, OF1920, ORVW '16, Michters10. I was surprised, but pleased that the cheapest out of the 4 won out. Most surprised at how flat the Michters10 fell. It was boring compared to the other 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loch & K(e)y Society store pick Blanton's to celebrate Pat's victory (?!?) last night.  Gonna' need much mo' betta' next weekend to get to SuperBowl LI!   :D

Buffalo Trace is doing a really nice job. Little advice, stay away from the special reserve , its not that special at all. 

I had a little pour 2015 SmB FR while watching the scotch test dummies live steam. 

Cheers ! 

Will 

3 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Buffalo Trace is doing a really nice job. Little advice, stay away from the special reserve , its not that special at all. 

I've got this and some Straight From The Barrel. No plans to get the reserve but I'd like to try the Gold! 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

And not worth the primary market price.

Agreed. Glad I tried this because I will not have any temptation to buy it if I see it at MSRP again. I'm in the camp that is willing to pay up for good bottles too, but this isn't special and certainly is priced like it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.