What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I did a pour mid morning today which I almost never do but I've been working hard assembling another shelving unit to get all my bourbon together and out of closets etc... (post picture when I'm completely done) and was a little tired so decided to have a pour of Old Fitz 10yr 101 from SW - can't remember the exact dates but distilled somewhere around 1980.  This one is almost gone with maybe three pours left and I need to buy some Boston Rounds when I get around to finding a source so I can put away a final taste of this great bottle.

Now I'm doing a second pour of BT from a 375ml that I poured off into a new decanter that I got before Christmas but after pouring realized the stopper didn't seal well enough to suite me so I'll move through this one pretty quickly.  You know for the sake of the bourbon... :) 

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ah, one of the great sleeper bourbons ever, Steve.  I've loved every bottle I've had.  Though the slope shouldered OCPR remains my favorite from their line, there have been times I thought the 7 yr BIB may have been better.  

A sleeper then and still a sleeper today. Most patrons of this bar are looking for the big name LE's or the well marketed top shelf. This humble BIB with the screw cap gets passed over. They must think it's low quality due to the $8 per pour price. Same place has the slope shouldered OCPR which I've not spent enough time with so I will remedy that next week.

My first taste of Blanton's SFTB in a SBS with the US version. I appreciate Blanton's for its elegance, but it's usually a bit tame for me and leaves me wanting. I much prefer RHF or ETL unless I want to see how smooth a bourbon can be. Anyway, I was very interested in seeing how an amped up version would be. It did not disappoint. The first sip was heavenly, smooth but with a flavorful  kick if that makes sense. I had planned to add a little water after the first sip, but it was outstanding neat. On the second sip, however, the roof of my mouth started to get a little numb or tingly so I added a bit of water. After that, it was dialed in nicely and was very reminiscent of an antique collection whiskey. I understand why many of us in the states chase this one and I'll continue to do so to ensure I always have one on the shelf. 

IMG_2532.JPG

After going a good six months (or more), I've spend a bit of time with EC12 this week (to the tune of about 2/3 of the bottle).  My only regret is staying away from it for so long.  For me, while good, the NAS version does dot the i's and cross the t's, like its big brother does.   

Returned to one of the faves after being seduced by many of the fancier, more dynamic pours since before Thanksgiving... partly as a nod to visitors who expect 'special' Bourbons at the 'Nimrod Estate.

I re-organized the main shelves and put away some of the limited Bourbons into the bunker, making space again for regular pours.    In so doing I had to open a new (old) OGD BIB (orange top, from only a few years ago).    Damn, that is still a fine pour, so I had a couple...... just to allow some extra air into the bottle....... for the sake of the Bourbon......   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

22 minutes ago, Paddy said:

After going a good six months (or more), I've spend a bit of time with EC12 this week (to the tune of about 2/3 of the bottle).  My only regret is staying away from it for so long.  For me, while good, the NAS version does dot the i's and cross the t's, like its big brother does.   

There's no "t's" in Elijah Craig.  Or is there?  :lol:

JK, the brand resemble is very clear.  I am finding that I prefer the old NAS compared to EC12.  I have not bought one of the new fancy NAS bottles yet.  I do look at them when I see them but I still have some EC bunkered that I prefer to finish off first.

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

There's no "t's" in Elijah Craig.  Or is there?  :lol:

JK, the brand resemble is very clear.  I am finding that I prefer the old NAS compared to EC12.  I have not bought one of the new fancy NAS bottles yet.  I do look at them when I see them but I still have some EC bunkered that I prefer to finish off first.

I think that may depend on how many I've had!  :blink:

But seriously, I realize that many will prefer the NAS (which I will refer to a EC 'light').  My biggest concern is how quickly the profile seems to have shifted.  

On a positive note, the shelves are still full!   

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My biggest concern is how quickly the profile seems to have shifted.  

Yeah, what may be good today may drift into not so good in the future.  Of course, they are banking on if we continue to drink it, we won't notice the subtle changes over time.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Still working on this bottle, Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel BIB (100 Proof).:)

2 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Still working on this bottle, Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel BIB (100 Proof).:)

Me too!  It's been a while since I had a bottle.  I bottle one back in early December and decide to crack it a week or so ago.  As with my approach, I will work this bottle down before opening something else.  I love the cherry, baking spice notes on the palate.

34 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Me too!  It's been a while since I had a bottle.  I bottle one back in early December and decide to crack it a week or so ago.  As with my approach, I will work this bottle down before opening something else.  I love the cherry, baking spice notes on the palate.

Cool. I'm getting caramel/oak/some tobacco/vanilla.:)

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

But seriously, I realize that many will prefer the NAS (which I will refer to a EC 'light').  My biggest concern is how quickly the profile seems to have shifted.  

On a positive note, the shelves are still full!   

I currently have an NAS open that seems to be very similar to the 12 - even down to the oaky notes. It gives me hope for the brand. We'll see how it goes.

Having some black button bourbon cream with my morning coffee. I love this as part of my weekend morning routine. 

IMG_2533.JPG

I know this is probably a little weird, but I love smelling an unrinsed glass of bourbon the next morning. 

IMG_1158.JPG

8 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I know this is probably a little weird, but I love smelling an unrinsed glass of bourbon the next morning. 

IMG_1158.JPG

not weird at all

8 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

IMG_1158.JPG

Not weird at all. I do the same thing and notice a lot of sweetness that I don't get when the glass is full.

1 hour ago, emr454 said:

Not weird at all. I do the same thing and notice a lot of sweetness that I don't get when the glass is full.

+1

Add another one to the list. As dcbt stated above, the smell is phenomenal. 

Back on topic...... I had a small pour from a newly opened bottle of JTS Brown BIB alongside my cup of coffee this morning. 

My interest in BIB's is second only to my preference for wheaters. I love 'em both. I finished off some wheaters in the past few weeks, so I started opening a few BIB's. While at the liquor store yesterday, I saw JTS Brown BIB and Barton BIB. I figured why not buy a couple more BIB's to enjoy. :D  My open bottle shelf is now filled with mostly BIB's. :P

Cheers! Joe

bib.jpeg

After watching my Packer's get humiliated in the first half, decided to further punish myself by having a pour from a bottle I knew I shouldn't have bought (apparently I was mad at my money that day)......Lost Prophet. 

Today it's tasting better than I remembered, but perhaps that's only because I had such a bad taste in my mouth from watching the game

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.