What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, bourbs bro said:

thanks for nothing everyone ;)

You're welcome. That's why we're here. :D

Cheers! Joe

8 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

it's funny I have an almost full bottle of RR10yr that I bought blind and tried once and was like meh....and now when I stare at all my bourbs to make a selection, I always ignore this one...it's almost like a blind spot....but then there has been so much discussion about it recently here, I guess I'm gonna have to crack it back open and revisit.

We didn't give you nothing.  We gave you everything by enabling you and encouraging you to revisit RR10.  Any time you want to revisit or try something come here and we will encourage you.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

it's funny I have an almost full bottle of RR10yr that I bought blind and tried once and was like meh....and now when I stare at all my bourbs to make a selection, I always ignore this one...it's almost like a blind spot....but then there has been so much discussion about it recently here, I guess I'm gonna have to crack it back open and revisit.

Well, your experience is like mine.  I bought the RR10yr over a year ago and had one two ounce pour and found it average at best.  It just sat there until a couple of days ago when you, or somebody, on an other thread mentioned it.  So, I pulled it down and poured some.  Aaahhhhaaaaa!

I cannot tell you - because I didn't keep count - the number and name of bourbons I have opened and found lacking on first sip only to revisit them months or years later and found them MORE than palatable.  They FAR outnumber the bourbons I have opened and found lacking and then revisited months or years later and STILL found lacking.  The latter I can count on one hand, and the timespan is scores of years, not decades.

In sum (well, for ME this is short) --  If you don't like it on the first taste, leave the cork out/top off overnight then plug it up and then try it a month or so later.  Well, sometimes, it just takes minutes or hours of exposure to air rather than days or weeks or months to open up, so be sure to test regularly and often.

22 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, your experience is like mine.  I bought the RR10yr over a year ago and had one two ounce pour and found it average at best.  It just sat there until a couple of days ago when you, or somebody, on an other thread mentioned it.  So, I pulled it down and poured some.  Aaahhhhaaaaa!

I cannot tell you - because I didn't keep count - the number and name of bourbons I have opened and found lacking on first sip only to revisit them months or years later and found them MORE than palatable.  They FAR outnumber the bourbons I have opened and found lacking and then revisited months or years later and STILL found lacking.  The latter I can count on one hand, and the timespan is scores of years, not decades.

In sum (well, for ME this is short) --  If you don't like it on the first taste, leave the cork out/top off overnight then plug it up and then try it a month or so later.  Well, sometimes, it just takes minutes or hours of exposure to air rather than days or weeks or months to open up, so be sure to test regularly and often.

wise advice.  one of the first bourbons I bought when getting into it was regular ol' buffalo trace.  had never heard of it, but everyone mentioned it as a gold standard value.  So I grabbed it...didn't get it.  drank like 1/3 of the bottle over a weekend. still didn't get it.  put it away and went on to other stuff...after I tasted plenty of other stuff I circled back around...and had much more to compare it to and understood the high praise better.  So whether it's "opening up", my having a bad palate day, or just developing my palate and tasted more things to compare with,  I always plan to circle back around as a general rule.  

this RR10 though is funny because I bought it on a whim and just couldn't bring myself to revisit...just always felt like there was something better to sip...it was really weird the way it was a blank spot on my shelf.  So in that sense, you did it everyone! you pierced the blind spot!  I'm going to revist now!

5 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

. . . one of the first bourbons I bought when getting into it was regular ol' buffalo trace.  had never heard of it, but everyone mentioned it as a gold standard value . . .  

Basic BT at 90 proof is a favorite of mine if it has been open awhile.  I've even encouraged the restaurants we regularly visit to carry it.  Its candy apple/cinnamon finish (well, what I get) satisfies me, and that sweetness substitutes for dessert.  I try not to keep it around, opened, at home, except during Holidays - at 90 proof and its sweetness, it is easy for me to hit on it too often.  Just saying.   

Because we've been talking about it today, RR10yr. It continues to punch above its weight for me right now. Following with ECNAS which is really surprising me with its complexity - a balanced mix of caramel sweetness and oak driven spice. 

i resampled 4R small batch and 4R single barrel today.   I just don't think I'm a 4R guy...not bad, but just doesn't speak to me.  single > small though.

resampled RR10, ok.  I'm not sure how I feel about WT stuff.  I've only had a minibar bottle of WT101 once.  I'm going to have to give WT a better, more honest chance and sampling of it's offerings. but right now with RR10 its still kinda meh. it's very easy to drink, but i dunno...

I got a bottle of ETL early on in my bourbs hunt.  only had a few samples when I cracked it open.  didn't wow me, but I didn't now any better.  Just sampled again now after developing a bit more.  Thought it was quite good.  too bad this is so hard to find these days.

EC12, ER10, and ETL  are the gold standards in the 25-35 range for me.  I know some places gouge for these or they are hard to get now, but these are waht I'm measuring things against in these price ranges.

I really need to try NAS EC though.  hopefully it's still a strong contender as a standards bearer in this price range.

To prove I'm no quitter I finished off the bottle of CEHT SB on the first pour of the evening - cut it with a little Old Limestone and now on to a pour of Wm Heavenhill BIB from 2015

polished off a Booker's 'off your rocker', now sipping a SAOS 8 year 120 proofer. definitely prefer the saos, and I do like Booker's......

Starting with a FRSB Store Select 9years 7months OBSV, then Wild Turkey 101, and Kentucky Spirit.  

A little pikesville and baby Saz trying to figure out which one i want  to stock up on. Finishing the evening with a nice pour of EC12 while rewatching all the seasons of Justified

had a friend over Saturday night and had a few sips of several whiskies and whiskeys 

dd9fc437-8dfc-4da5-8e77-eb7cc089a7bd_zps

our favorites were

1a525d60-caec-4bf8-9ff5-18c93bed9f4d_zps

this was also quite good; just opened it

7416d859-7f33-4abb-b663-15ba0d212521_zps

Edited by bigtoys

Enjoying a bit of Old Fitz BIB tonight.  I'd been a while and it's really hitting the spot.  I've also been working on a PS KCSB (13 year old) the last couple of evenings.  This one has been very closed and woody, at least until the last couple of pours.  I think it drinks better at about 110 proof, and I seem to have it dialed in about as good as it's gonna get.  Final conclusion, it's just an average (at best) store pick, IMO. 

Some EC12 before bed. I poured the last of a decanter and there was more than I thought in there! Guess I'll sleep well.

For no good reason I declared it to be a wheater night. Starting with RR10yr SiB and I have a good barrel here. 2 drops of water really makes it sing. I will follow with the old standby, OWA.

Started last night with a 50/50 blend of OWA and W12.    Had a second pour of EWSB2004.  Both really good. 

Just caught a taste of a little woody flavor on the finish of EWSB2004, really got my attention.  Not bad for an under $30 pour.

14 hours ago, km1589 said:

A little pikesville and baby Saz trying to figure out which one i want  to stock up on. Finishing the evening with a nice pour of EC12 while rewatching all the seasons of Justified

So interesting having many appreciators on one site. No matter what you might be enjoying BIG chance someone else on this board is doing the exact same. A couple nights back me and a friend did a blind SBS with Pikesville, Baby Saz, and a new one Pendleton 1910. As usual my score card was all backwards! And I found that my taste and my buddy's taste were different. The Pendleton in my opinion is sure worth a try.

2 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Very nice. What kind of food is that?

Fried Deer Backstrap. It hit the spot!

Cheers, Jeff

1 minute ago, Louisiana said:

Fried Deer Backstrap. It hit the spot!

Cheers, Jeff

I've had venison, elk.

56 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

My first bottle of MMCS, I'll not be the last, pretty tasty. 

Cheers! 

IMG_8052.JPG

Got one of those for Christmas.  Haven't cracked it open yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.