What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, bourbs bro said:

wow finally!  really lucky to grab these today...

wellerz.jpg

Sweet! That OWA is a nice pour, and I'm willing to bet the W12 is great too.

41 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

wow finally!  really lucky to grab these today...

wellerz.jpg

Were they on the shelf or did you have to do some "finagling"?  Can I ask what you paid?

11 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Were they on the shelf or did you have to do some "finagling"?  Can I ask what you paid?

26.99 and 29.99

it's funny because i've been friendly with the guys at this store and they told me they "maybe get a bottle a month" of these when i asked about them.  He also said something about a lot of times one of the employees buys them right away.  

So I know they get shipments today and sometimes check at lunch.  I went in and glanced at the "fancy" behind the counter area and just caught the edge of the shape of weller bottle in the shadows.  I only saw one, and in the shadows I thought it might have been green special reserve neck label.  Honestly I wasn't even sure it was weller shape, but I could tell it was tucked and stashed.  I casually walk near the counter and catch the attention of this younger guy who doesn't know what's up and he thinks i have something in my hand and runs behind the counter like "you ready to check out"  I said oh I was looking at that, is that weller? and motion up to whatever it was tucked behind.  and he can't even see/doesn't know what i'm motioning towards, and finally gets it like oh way in the back...he goes, did you want both?  I was like oh there's two? are they teh same thing? (cause at this point I'm still thinking they may be SR).  and he pulls one out and I see the antique label (SCORE!) and then he starts to pull the other out and says did you want both, and I see the 12 label poke it's beautiful face out.  and I'm like uh yeah I'll take both.  then I rush to the counter to hurry up and pay feeling a little guilty that I'm probably getting a stasher's stash...although i don't know why I felt guilty...  Man I'm pumped though... I was feeling like I'd never see these.  

Edited by bourbs bro

Haven't bought anything since just after Christmas and was out today so I checked a few stores and made a few purchases

• WTRB mainly because it was an older release at the 108.2 proof (WT-03RB with the Austin Nichols name on the back) and we are now on 116.8 which I saw as well 
  • SAOS American Whiskey because of John's recommendation in the recent thread about SAOS
  • BirdDog 10yr because it is 10 yr old and was $38 and I have had a couple of people say it was a pretty good bourbon so I stepped back out on that limb.  Also the fact that its bottled in Bowling Green KY was a selling point since I'm from there

IMG_1063.JPG

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on that biddog.  I haven't seen much about it, but I found myself staring at it on the shelf the other day, but couldn't muster up the courage to "step out on that limb" haha

31 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on that biddog.  I haven't seen much about it, but I found myself staring at it on the shelf the other day, but couldn't muster up the courage to "step out on that limb" haha

Not ready to pass judgement as of yet since it was just a small pour and many times the first pour doesn't do the bottle justice.  Initial thoughts though are: not much of a nose to it, lots of bitter (oak) in the mid and back of the tongue that would go with the age of 10 years as well as some spice so it may be a fairly high rye content, and some fruit/sweet on the front.  Added a few drops of water and it opened up a bit more.  

2 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

26.99 and 29.99

it's funny because i've been friendly with the guys at this store and they told me they "maybe get a bottle a month" of these when i asked about them.  He also said something about a lot of times one of the employees buys them right away.  

So I know they get shipments today and sometimes check at lunch.  I went in and glanced at the "fancy" behind the counter area and just caught the edge of the shape of weller bottle in the shadows.  I only saw one, and in the shadows I thought it might have been green special reserve neck label.  Honestly I wasn't even sure it was weller shape, but I could tell it was tucked and stashed.  I casually walk near the counter and catch the attention of this younger guy who doesn't know what's up and he thinks i have something in my hand and runs behind the counter like "you ready to check out"  I said oh I was looking at that, is that weller? and motion up to whatever it was tucked behind.  and he can't even see/doesn't know what i'm motioning towards, and finally gets it like oh way in the back...he goes, did you want both?  I was like oh there's two? are they teh same thing? (cause at this point I'm still thinking they may be SR).  and he pulls one out and I see the antique label (SCORE!) and then he starts to pull the other out and says did you want both, and I see the 12 label poke it's beautiful face out.  and I'm like uh yeah I'll take both.  then I rush to the counter to hurry up and pay feeling a little guilty that I'm probably getting a stasher's stash...although i don't know why I felt guilty...  Man I'm pumped though... I was feeling like I'd never see these.  

Nice find.  I got an ECBP that way a few months ago.  Was looking behind the counterish and thought it might be a EC12.  Was glad to see the BP instead !

3 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

Bird Dog is just one of the Western Spirits labels along with Lexington and Calumet Farms. All crap as far as I'm concerned. As Western is an NDP that didn't exist until 2007 they didn't distill this stuff. Anyone have any idea who they've sourced from? I assume some is MGP and some is someplace in Kentucky because sometimes they say Kentucky and sometimes they just say American.

Well since you all are doing such a great job helping me keep the purchases down this new year :rolleyes:, I picked up a 1792 SmB, KC9, PS KCSB and a JBDO today.

Thanks for all yall's support! :P

1792 FP at $37.95.  Took two - left three on the shelf...and I am not even drinking for a month while I try this Zone diet.

Edited by El Vino

1 hour ago, El Vino said:

1792 FP at $37.95.  Took two - left three on the shelf...and I am not even drinking for a month while I try this Zone diet.

Lot's of this showing up recently - maybe they did a second release - that's a great price as well

I think you are right Hop.  I haven't seen this around for a while, so to see a well stocked shelf at a high volume store suggests a new drop.  Going to bring one to a Super Bowl party, so I can only hope that this release is of similar quality to the first release.  And please post your thoughts on the Smooth Ambler Wheated.  Nowhere near WV, so will live vicariously through your notes.  Cheers!

FedEx gal was good to me today !!  Super Bowl buffet is completed.  Never tried either, but love the single barrel . 

blanton's.jpg

11 hours ago, t-ball said:

FedEx gal was good to me today !!  Super Bowl buffet is completed.  Never tried either, but love the single barrel . 

blanton's.jpg

Very nice.

Purchased a bottle of Old Ezra 7yr 101.  Price was a little high at $21.99, but this was the first time I'd seen it in Maryland.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:07 AM, beasled said:

2 bottles of Weller 12 for the bunker. 

I would give anything to find Weller 12 

I found a W.L.WELLER special reserve and an Old Weller 107 sitting  on the shelf. Also picked up 2 ECBP

59 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Purchased a bottle of Old Ezra 7yr 101.  Price was a little high at $21.99, but this was the first time I'd seen it in Maryland.

It's $25 in NY so good price in my book, the 90 proof is $17 or so for a litre and that is all I ever see.

Good day for me but most came from a distillery trip - picked up some SAOS Wheated, and a couple of SB's one 10yr at 119.4 proof that is outstanding, and a 11yr 97 proof that I couldn't taste there and haven't opened yet.  

While in the area I checked a few liquor stores and have to say based on what I saw in 4 stores WV is a bourbon wasteland...

Coming back through VA I stopped in a couple of stores hoping to see one or more of the Joseph Magnus bottlings that I had seen late last year but alas no joy there, however I did pick up some 1792FP (laser coded 16 295 ) so if that's a julian date code it was bottled on the 295th day of 2016 and would indicate a second batch and as I checked another bottle I have it has 16 132 so it was much earlier in the year.  

Also got a 375ml of Eagle Rare just cause it was "cute" - hey... my wife can buy things because of that... so can I :) 

Got bit by the "beam bug" today while at the liqour store. Got a KC SiB, store pick for $40 and then a JB SiB, store pick for $29. The JB is a six year bottling and the KC bottle still has the age statement of 9yrs. Both un-passable in my opinion for the price. Looking forward to seeing what each of these has to offer!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On January 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Back to the buying less......so I lied. Sue me! :lol: What else can I say? I just can't help myself. :huh:

Well, here we go again. I acquired a bottle each of Stagg JR Batch #5 and Batch #6 today. :rolleyes:

I thought I had my Whiskirexia Nervosa under control, but I guess I don't. :unsure: For any of you newer members that are wondering about Whiskirexia Nervosa, below is a link to an old thread explaining it.

Good luck.<_<

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/10881-do-you-have-it/#comment-148621

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.