Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished off an ECBP 136 batch 12 tonight. I've got at least one more backup. Maybe 2. I know there's some batch 11 and A117 in there too.  This one is probably my favorite though.

20171006_231655-756x1008.jpg

This 375 went down the other night. Initially, I didn't care for it. The flavors were there, but the nose was way rank. It  did settle down with some time, though. Is this typical of wheaters? I know I'm new, so that must play a big part. Ok, who's next?

Peace!

20171006_195023.jpg

On 9/27/2017 at 1:41 AM, chappy6107 said:

One of my favorites and also what I finished off tonight!

IMAG1780.jpg

Hope you have a backup??

4 minutes ago, Dango said:

Hope you have a backup??

Unfortunately no backup.  However I called and found 3 stores just outside of my area that have them.  Hoping they are still there when I can get to one of these stores

Always interesting to see what is hard to find in different areas. Every LS here has a row 5 deep of CEHT SmB whenever time I visit. No Weller to be found though.

1 minute ago, EarthQuake said:

Always interesting to see what is hard to find in different areas. Every LS here has a row 5 deep of CEHT SmB whenever time I visit. No Weller to be found though.

I agree, I can get CEHT SmB and SgB all day long here.

2 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

This 375 went down the other night. Initially, I didn't care for it. The flavors were there, but the nose was way rank. It  did settle down with some time, though. Is this typical of wheaters? I know I'm new, so that must play a big part.

Try it again in a few months, it is easy to find in bars even with no real bourbon selection.

I also emptied a halfie a few weeks back, and had the exact same thoughts. Well, I've been buying various MM products in 375s for many years hoping that one day my palate would be mature enough to appreciate them, but that never happened. I have a feeling you are simply not a MM person, like myself :)

While I am not crazy about wheaters in general, my experience with Wellers are entirely different, those always hit the spot. I enjoy Larceny too. Parker's Wheat whiskey was also nice (but not stellar). So MM is not necessarily the benchmark here.

Thanks, Kane, for your input! At this stage, I'm like a sponge, soaking in as much info (and bourbon, too!) that I can. I should have another bottle ready for this thread before long. 

Peace

I limited out on Turkey's tonight. I'm going to miss this 2013 WTKS a lot as it was the last of it that I had on hand. The Forgiven is fine, but at $50 around here I'd rather make my own with WTRB and WT Rye.

20171007_Farewell.JPG

Polished this off last night. Seems to agree with me just fine, although a bit pricey. On to the next. 

Peace

20171007_195018.jpg

20 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

This 375 went down the other night. Initially, I didn't care for it. The flavors were there, but the nose was way rank. It  did settle down with some time, though. Is this typical of wheaters? I know I'm new, so that must play a big part. Ok, who's next?

Peace!

20171006_195023.jpg

I know with the 46 that I got, the first half wasn't much but after being open for a while (and reading some reviews and looked for what others had found) I really enjoyed the second half of the bottle. Make another run at it in a couple months. For me it went from 'dont buy again' to seeking out cask strength versions. 

• I like it 1

Took me a while to work through this one. A solid bourbon at every turn but doesn't stand out to me. I have 2 more AS for the bunker and look forward to the KCSB my total wine has lined up. Maybe the higher proof and age will do it for me. 

IMG_3292.JPG

This was such good stuff, good thing I still have 3 in my bunker... Working on polishing off a Weller 12 and a KCSB... Once those are gone, I'll go back out to replenish my cabinet (maybe my bunker) - depending if I find something bunker worthy.

Happy bourboning!

Cheers!

IMG_1152.JPG

Finished an OWA in the old style bottle. This one got better with a couple months at about 1/4th full, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

18 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Finished an OWA in the old style bottle. This one got better with a couple months at about 1/4th full, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

Any other OWA you have laying around, let me know. 

• I like it 1

Good news, bad news, good news story. 

Good News:         A very enjoyable bottle from start to finish. My first of WT101 from a few years back. 

Bad News:  now empty:-(

Good news:  I have another waiting in the wings :-))

IMG_1815.JPG

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Jealous of the older 'Turkey. Need to get my hands on some. 

Yes, WT101 is worth the effort.   However, some of the older bottles have a "musty" note.  But if I come across another, I will not leave it on the shelf.  ;-)

• I like it 1

On October 3, 2017 at 11:02 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Gone are bottles of OWA, Weller Sr and Weller 12. 

Joe

Well, I screwed up. I was excited and happy about making another batch of my Weller Blend, and creating some room on my open shelf. In my happiness and haste, I forgot that I was gonna keep the empty Weller 12 to decant the 1.75 of it that I have. :unsure: I have an empty VOB BIB, but I feel that putting Weller 12 in it would be somewhat sacrilegious. ;) My plans were to decant the Weller 12 1.75, and use that empty bottle for the next large batch of my Weller Blend. I've been using the same empty (Old Forester BIB) 1.75 for the Weller Blends I've brought to Bardstown  for the last 5 years now. I thought a change of bottles to an actual Weller handle was about due. It could still happen. Time for Plan B I guess. Although I'm not sure what Plan B is yet. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

On 10/7/2017 at 11:31 AM, Galvin0791 said:

Peace!

20171006_195023.jpg

I don't care for any of the Maker's products I have tried (regular, cask strength and Maker's 46).  Just doesn't agree with my palate.  As far as wheaters go, Weller products are much better in my opinion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.