What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting with (and maybe finishing with) RY10. This bourbon has it all. IMHO. 

Happy Saturday

IMG_1121.JPG

22 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Yes, it's in a cabinet. 

Sorry, i didn't mean to call your cabinet "shelve", i didn't see well on the picture and i was to busy watching your great bottles. Hope i don't piss you off.

Cheers! 

Will.

44 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Sorry, i didn't mean to call your cabinet "shelve", i didn't see well on the picture and i was to busy watching your great bottles. Hope i don't piss you off.

Cheers! 

Will.

Not at all, it's a small cabinet above my icebox. 

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Had a small pour of Stagg Jr neat, and now I'm having a 50/50 blend of OGD114 and WSR. I like the blend of those two bourbons much better than either separately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting blend. I will have to try this since I currently have both. Looking forward! 

In Brooklyn, NY babysitting the granddaughters (5 & 3) while daughter #2 and hubby are in Bali (all expenses paid, BTW) for a week - life is tough.  Glad the Cornell Hotel School education is paying off, eh?   :wub:

Trying the local craft bourbon scene for evening relaxation.  Really, not too bad - nice nose, smooth entry of caramel on the palate, medium finish with a touch of cinnamon and oak.  Not bad for FREE!   :lol:

20170423_101251_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Not at all, it's a small cabinet above my icebox. 

Ok, cool.

Started this afternoon with the last couple of pours of a lovely EC mingle (GBS EC14 + ECBP + EC18).  Felt like one more while prepping dinner, so opted for some HH6yrBIB.  While a cooler day, still delicious right from the fridge!

Started out with KC9 store pick and now working on OF1920.  Dark chocolate cherries are working their magic.  

Having some 1792 Full Proof store pick. This stuff is hot and mean. It drinks way hotter than many other barrel proofers at similar or higher proof.

Had some friends over for some ribs off the smoker, Chipotle rubbed and Bourbon & Black Pepper rubbed, with slaw, pasta salad and some Bush's Bourbon & Brown Sugar grilling beans, smoked in the smoker with the ribs, followed by some fresh fruit in EW Peach Bourbon over Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (wine with dinner) but then retired to the family room for a couple of pours (OGD 114 & MM 46, store select with 4 MM 46 staves, 1 French Spice stave and 5 French Mocha staves).  Very good Sunday evening.

Started with a K&L OESF that it is beginning to hit its stride after being open for a couple weeks now. I then progressed to bottle kill mode and ended up with a very large pour of a KCSB 11yr from Midway Liquors. Bottle successfully killed. I've been milking this one for a while now so it was time to end it. Finishing with some Pikesville. It always delivers. It's great as is but I do wonder what it would be like with two more years.......four more years......

Opened an ER10 in the hotel room tonight.  Been a while since I drank ER but really enjoying it

20 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

and some Bush's Bourbon & Brown Sugar grilling beans

Those are some outstanding beans. I wonder what bourbon they're using? :D

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Those are some outstanding beans. I wonder what bourbon they're using? :D

I looked and all it said was real bourbon flavoring (whatever that means).  Next time I'll probably pour a little extra bourbon in there.  Bourbon on the ribs, in the beans, on the fruit and as an after dinner drink.  Kind of had a theme going on there didn't I.:D

Inspired by someone's (I'm too lazy to look) recipe of Stagg Jr. and OC8 I'm having a SJR:Charter 101 (2:1) blend tonight. Really amped up the sweetness and cut the burn even though 101 isn't that much of a reduction. I like it!  I think the Stagg is batch 6.

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Inspired by someone's (I'm too lazy to look) recipe of Stagg Jr. and OC8 I'm having a SJR:Charter 101 (2:1) blend tonight. Really amped up the sweetness and cut the burn even though 101 isn't that much of a reduction. I like it!  I think the Stagg is batch 6.

That would be me. Never tried it with 101 because don't get that one out here but I imagine it would be pretty good.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

That would be me. Never tried it with 101 because don't get that one out here but I imagine it would be pretty good.

I have to go to Illinois to find it. I haven't seen any age stated OC8 in a long time but I admit I don't really go looking. The C101 is a little harsh on the finish for sipping neat but an ice cube smooths it out. Or..Stagg Jr. Is a better choice than an ice cube!

Can't recall if it was Hop or someone else but whoever recommended the Stagg Jr./OC8yr 2 to 1 ratio, thank you. It's the perfect ratio, takes off the heat of the Stagg and perfectly lowers the sweetness of the OC8yr.

86a1235f739996a5190d8bdf2e2969fe.jpg

41 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Can't recall if it was Hop or someone else but whoever recommended the Stagg Jr./OC8yr 2 to 1 ratio, thank you. It's the perfect ratio, takes off the heat of the Stagg and perfectly lowers the sweetness of the OC8yr.

86a1235f739996a5190d8bdf2e2969fe.jpg

As above, that would be me. Glad that you like it. Even better that you have the 8yr age stated. I do it with the OC"8" and it works.

As above, that would be me. Glad that you like it. Even better that you have the 8yr age stated. I do it with the OC"8" and it works.

Oops sorry, I think Hop was the one that found a stash of OC8yr.

Thanks again it's a good blend and I wouldn't of went so high on the Stagg Jr. If you didn't post it.

I've been buying up OC8yrs particularly the older ones with the diagonal age statement across the front.

Decided to open my bottle of OF Single Barrel last night.  Lighter on the proof but a good amount of flavor.  Wasn't really looking for anything high proof last night so it really fit the bill.  After that a pour of WSR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.