What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sadly it does not, at least in my opinion. And as a general rule none of them ever have. Which is not to say that a few of them weren't good, or at least interesting. Just not $100 interesting. Although in that regard they are not alone! Lots of things fail to live up to the hype or cost. But it is hard to know for sure until you try them for yourself!

21 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I agree with Bruce that these aren't really worth the price, but I like this one better than he does...there's no accounting for taste. emoji6.png Anyway, if there ever was one of these to try this is one of them...and once they are gone, they're gone.

16 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I liked the WRBF, but I've passed on it for $99. It is unique and tasty

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TexanBrad said:

I'll second the opinions that suggest it's overpriced. It also seems to have some TCA issues, though I've only seen it with one bottle personally. It keeps coming up in notes on Reddit, for what that's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the opinions guys!

I'm still early enough in the bourbon game to feel OK about passing up LE bottles and instead focusing my mind and wallet on testing easier-to-acquire bourbon out there yet to be tasted!

Passed on rhetoric 23 at $92 and forged oak at $57. They sold the only bottle of barter house they got in the shipment for $82. I also passed on some ecbp of the new batch that's 127. I think we're starting to see more of this out there due to the removal of the age statement on the small batch. I also picked up a mckenna, but set it back down. Moving soon so trying to manage the bunker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed on rhetoric 23 at $92 and forged oak at $57. They sold the only bottle of barter house they got in the shipment for $82. I also passed on some ecbp of the new batch that's 127. I think we're starting to see more of this out there due to the removal of the age statement on the small batch. I also picked up a mckenna, but set it back down. Moving soon so trying to manage the bunker.

Those are decent prices on the first two OB although the BH is a tad high. What was the $ on ECBP? You think the shift from EC12 to NAS is having a negative effect on the sales of current ECBP?  Interesting. I have to admit I've seen more of this current batch than previous ones but at typically higher prices.

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You think the shift from EC12 to NAS is having a negative effect on the sales of current ECBP?  Interesting. I have to admit I've seen more of this current batch than previous ones but at typically higher prices.

It's possible that rather than a "negative effect " on sales of ECBP, I might guess that more 12 year whiskey that previously went towards regular EC12 might be going to increased ECBP bottles (at 12 yr.).  Thus, more ECBP being released....and therefore, more available.  Pure conjecture, though...

It's possible that rather than a "negative effect " on sales of ECBP, I might guess that more 12 year whiskey that previously went towards regular EC12 might be going to increased ECBP bottles (at 12 yr.).  Thus, more ECBP being released....and therefore, more available.  Pure conjecture, though...

That's the way I read it. Interesting but I think even now the BP is such a small amount of the HH juice that adding more to the BP bottles wouldn't be enough to single handily require the age statement removal on the standard EC.

58 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That's the way I read it. Interesting but I think even now the BP is such a small amount of the HH juice that adding more to the BP bottles wouldn't be enough to single handily require the age statement removal on the standard EC.

That's not why they removed the age statement. It was only a side benefit of it.

Do the new style bottles of ECBP still have the 12 age statement on them?  

10 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Do the new style bottles of ECBP still have the 12 age statement on them?  

Yes.  I think it's written on the back somewhere.  I'd check for sure but it's too early to walk over to it right now hah.  Need more coffee.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

That's not why they removed the age statement. It was only a side benefit of it.

^^^* This.

^^^* This.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarity. I figured it had something to do with it, but not the primary driver. Or at least a nice side effect.

Nice catch on the age statement.  I bought a bottle and since it wasn't stated on the front and there is no back label then I just figured it was no longer age stated.

I suppose we won't know until another batch is released but I wonder if releasing more of the ECBP has impacted the quality of what is released because more barrels that might not have made the grade in the past are now being used in the bigger batches because fewer 12+yo barrels are available. Presuming the most recent batch in the new style bottle is made from a greater number of barrels of barrels of course. I would think HH has enough barrels to pull from that this latest batch, which did not seem to be up to the same quality to my palate as previous batches, was not a question of the quality of barrels available but a deliberate decision on profile by the distillery for this particular release.

Whatever it was I hope they head back in the direction of the earlier batches with the next batch they release!

Does anyone know for sure that the latest release of ECBP is larger than the previous releases? Talked to a rep for a distributor and he said they only had 30 bottles total left in there stock.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I suppose we won't know until another batch is released but I wonder if releasing more of the ECBP has impacted the quality of what is released because more barrels that might not have made the grade in the past are now being used in the bigger batches because fewer 12+yo barrels are available. Presuming the most recent batch in the new style bottle is made from a greater number of barrels of barrels of course. I would think HH has enough barrels to pull from that this latest batch, which did not seem to be up to the same quality to my palate as previous batches, was not a question of the quality of barrels available but a deliberate decision on profile by the distillery for this particular release.

Whatever it was I hope they head back in the direction of the earlier batches with the next batch they release!

I said this on SB.com at Batch 8.  Batch 11 & 12 blew my socks off! So who knows?

Passed on a whole row of Barrell Bourbon batch #011 today at $89, but I may have to go back and get a bottle since I'm kinda regretting not picking one up. At less than 7 years old, I think it's kinda pricey. The others I've bought have been considerably older and cost less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I passed this up. The reviews here are mixed but, I'm weary at getting anything from the Barton distillery after my personal dislike of VOB BiB.

8a73f8a40692de0823c5147dbcafa2b6.jpg

0cdc88126f83c1ec7bebb4735d1ca02c.jpg

WOW!    I'd be tempted to grab a LARGE number of these (1792 FP) @ $40 a throw.    That my friend is what we in the business (I'm not actually 'in the business') call a bargain on some very good Bourbon!   ...Just sayin'.....

^^^What he said!  Ask to sample it...they should have an open bottle.  The PS bottles I have were hot and mediocre at first, but they became very tasty with air time.

I passed this up. The reviews here are mixed but, I'm weary at getting anything from the Barton distillery after my personal dislike of VOB BiB.

It's worth the $40 to try it in my humble opinion. I do not think u will br disappointed

It's worth the $40 to try it in my humble opinion. I do not think u will br disappointed

You guys twisted my arm guess I need to buy another bottle. Might need to head back soon. I was there about a month ago and they had cases, this might be there last four bottles. This is the liquor store next to Costco here in Houston not technically part of Costco in Texas but unofficially affiliated. Went in looking for some Russell Reserve like OldFitz found at Costco in Louisville for $22 a bottle. Very slim pickings, this was the only thing that caught my eye.

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

You guys twisted my arm guess I need to buy another bottle. Might need to head back soon. I was there about a month ago and they had cases, this might be there last four bottles. This is the liquor store next to Costco here in Houston not technically part of Costco in Texas but unofficially affiliated. Went in looking for some Russell Reserve like OldFitz found at Costco in Louisville for $22 a bottle. Very slim pickings, this was the only thing that caught my eye.

Definitely go back and get one.....for me!

ha ha ha.

Seriously.  Well worth $40.

Quit reading this and get back in the car...

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I agree with you on disliking VOB. But, at that price, I'd take the chance.

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

For the sake of comparison the Va ABC has the 1792 for $48 and Stranahans for $60.

I had some things to take care of after work yesterday. On my way home, I stopped at one liquor store that I don't visit too often. I passed on OWA for $39.99. I paid $29.99 for one I bought at another place just a few weeks ago. :mellow:

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.