What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Feel like in a few years a lot of people are gonna regret not buying ECBP at anywhere under $100. Including myself. And I have over 2 dozen in the bunker. Probably consumed at least that much over the last several years BTW. So it's warranted. It's always in my rotation!

I don't really think so. While $80 might become the new normal, I don't see it going over $100. I do think they are trying to see what the market will allow with incremental price increases to better position ECBP at a price that will also provide for the return of EC12 at a higher price point some day. With EC 1789 now taking the price position of the old EC12, they had to slowly move the price point of ECBP up to create a slot in the middle for the return of EC12. This is all just my speculation of course, but I think that is their long term plan. EC12 and ECBP were two of the best values in bourbon for quite some time, and EC12 was a screaming buy until its demise. ECBP is now getting close to a price point that has many more competitive alternatives, so for that reason, I don't see it going much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't really think so. While $80 might become the new normal, I don't see it going over $100. I do think they are trying to see what the market will allow with incremental price increases to better position ECBP at a price that will also provide for the return of EC12 at a higher price point some day. With EC 1789 now taking the price position of the old EC12, they had to slowly move the price point of ECBP up to create a slot in the middle for the return of EC12. This is all just my speculation of course, but I think that is their long term plan. EC12 and ECBP were two of the best values in bourbon for quite some time, and EC12 was a screaming buy until its demise. ECBP is now getting close to a price point that has many more competitive alternatives, so for that reason, I don't see it going much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before this year the cheapest I ever saw ECBP was in the $60-$65 range, not in the $40s like some of you, but I only go back about 3 or 4 years with it.  This year the only ones I've bought were at $69.99 (+tax right at $75). That included batch 12 and new batch A117.  Other than those everywhere I've seen it has been $99+.  I really enjoyed earlier batches, and while I do like A117 I think it's not as good as previous batches 7-12 and its value proposition has decreased for me.  I don't know if I'd be in for further batches at anything above $70 without trying them first.  If the quality came back to batch 12 level I could see moving that price point a bit higher.  It competes pretty well with a lot of LE's out there.  I do agree on the creation of a slot for pricing in EC12.  I have 4 or 5 age-stated EC12's so hopefully won't affect me for a long time.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:44 PM, lcpfratn said:

WSR is really not that special. I understand if you've never tried it, you want to scratch that itch, but there are much better bourbons at its price point in my opinion. Some of the WSR private selection single barrels are pretty good, but the standard version is usually a pass for me unless I'm just completely out of it since I do usually keep at least one bottle around for blending.

The Va ABC website doesn't even list any Wellers for sale.  I was down in NC last week and got excited because their website listed Weller (I forgot which one) but when I went in a store the sales clerk said they haven't had any BT products for a year and when they get them they go fast. I don't recall whether the DC Costco had any.  I'll have to cross the river into both DC and the Peoples Republic of Maryland. :P

It's just my opinion.  I think regular Makers Mark is a better wheated bourbon than WSR.  I would buy the other Wellrs if the price is ok.  I would pass on WSR; look for a sale price on MM.  

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I honestly didn't even factor retail into the equation. Heaven Hill will have to make that decision. My decision was based on demand for a high quality product.. I've actually done a SBS with GTS, WLW, THH, & ECBP. The Quality in ECBP is the same as the Quality in the BTAC. If the whiskey in a bottle of ECBP was put in a Buffalo Trace bottle people would go nuts & pay high money for it. It wouldn't be found on any shelf. I've been putting back for a while now, but what's happened in the last 6 months with ECBP has even made me uneasy about passing on them. I haven't tried the newest batch, so Quality hasn't been an issue for me. Also, can't speak for anyone else, but if I see an old bottle at under $80, it's coming home!

Cheers,

Jeff

There's really no accounting for different palettes/ preferences. I paid about $90 for a bottle of ECBP after reading all the glowing reviews and was disappointed, it was really hot even after letting it open up for a few months in a half full or so bottle, though it did improve a bit with time. Intense, but not particularly great flavor. I think if I paid $30-40 or whatever it was selling for 5 years ago I would have been happy with it.

I would rank ECBP a little worse or on par with Bookers which I can get for ~$60 without hassle any day of the week. I would put it significantly behind Stagg Jr which is about $55 here but not readily available, behind CEHT Barrel Proof as well (I think I managed to snag thet only bottle our entire city got for the year, at $80), and not on the same level as GTS or THH (I haven't tried any of the other BTAC bottles yet). I actually don't think GTS is much better than Stagg Jr after doing a side by side at a bar, so I wouldn't ever buy a bottle, but in any case both are, in my mind at least, significantly better than ECBP.

Edited by EarthQuake

^This so strange how everyone has a different palette/preference. I'm with Louisiana and find ECBP far superior to the other barrel proof/high proof options.

I did a SBS recently of ECBP latest batch to Bookers and OF1920.

ECBP blew the others away. Bookers was 2nd really good but not as complex as ECBP. I put OF1920 last. OF1920 is good but much less going on vs Bookers and definitely less than ECBP.

I have a bottle of Stagg Jr. And to me it's the worse of the four mentioned. Just heat and not much going on.

Yay ECBP.

fcc0f78a3c348b7c8282feb38ebf4c4f.jpg

^This so strange how everyone has a different palette/preference. I'm with Louisiana and find ECBP far superior to the other barrel proof/high proof options.

ECBP blew the others away. Bookers was 2nd really good but not as complex as ECBP. I put OF1920 last. OF1920 is good but much less going on vs Bookers and definitely less than ECBP.

I have a bottle of Stagg Jr. And to me it's the worse of the four mentioned. Just heat and not much going on.

Yay ECBP.

fcc0f78a3c348b7c8282feb38ebf4c4f.jpg

I thought we agreed to the turtle in every pic!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I thought we agreed to the turtle in every pic!!!

You're right it's in my atrium need to bring it back inside.

I call turtle violation.  Please forward a bottle of our favorite bourbon to each of us as soon as possible.

I call turtle violation.  Please forward a bottle of our favorite bourbon to each of us as soon as possible.

Brought it back inside, will hopefully have some new bottles to accompany it.

18 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

There's really no accounting for different palettes/ preferences. I paid about $90 for a bottle of ECBP after reading all the glowing reviews and was disappointed, it was really hot even after letting it open up for a few months in a half full or so bottle, though it did improve a bit with time. Intense, but not particularly great flavor. I think if I paid $30-40 or whatever it was selling for 5 years ago I would have been happy with it.

I would rank ECBP a little worse or on par with Bookers which I can get for ~$60 without hassle any day of the week. I would put it significantly behind Stagg Jr which is about $55 here but not readily available, behind CEHT Barrel Proof as well (I think I managed to snag thet only bottle our entire city got for the year, at $80), and not on the same level as GTS or THH (I haven't tried any of the other BTAC bottles yet). I actually don't think GTS is much better than Stagg Jr after doing a side by side at a bar, so I wouldn't ever buy a bottle, but in any case both are, in my mind at least, significantly better than ECBP.

I respect your opinion for two reasons.

1.) We all have different taste.

2.) Your not buying my ECBP.

Cheers,

Jeff

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Yay ECBP.

Thats what's up! You know them Louisiana & Texas boys know what taste good!

Cheers,

Jeff

Thats what's up! You know them Louisiana & Texas boys know what taste good!

Cheers,
Jeff

I wished I bought three when I had the chance instead of two am going to a little hunting today to see if I can procure another bottle.

Just corrected that error of leaving one ECBP, picked up the last bottle at TW down the street from an area I was in for a meeting.

59dedbc10910e0d313040058e41f8532.jpg

Guess it's in the wrong thread.

. $53

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

288434b0801a9af81919df8c13493fcc.jpg

Has anyone tried this? I've seen it a few times of late and have my doubts, especially at that price.

Has anyone tried this? I've seen it a few times of late and have my doubts, especially at that price.

What is the definition of "very small batch"??

4 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Whatever they want it to be 

11 hours ago, DeepCover said:

WOW!  A Total WIne Spirits Direct for $159.99 - ask for a taste before you waste a lot of "cheese" on one of their high-profit bottles of SD stuff.  They'll be pushing it hard when you ask, so let us know what you think.  I'll check around here to see if it came in and report back, if they give me a taste.   :wacko:

13 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Well their single barrel is only touted as "small batch"...

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

image.jpeg

Engrish is such a convoluted language - especially for some whiskey marketing folk, eh?   :wacko:

6 hours ago, DeepCover said:

image.jpeg

Well it's true it is a small batch, really the smallest, unless they are bottling only half a barrel!

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Saw these not in the market,

c632450d09664e5c5edc6cc4c94835c4.jpg

288434b0801a9af81919df8c13493fcc.jpg

Batch 004 is a really solid Kentucky distilled Barrell bottling, I would have bought 3 at that price.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Well it's true it is a small batch, really the smallest, unless they are bottling only half a barrel!

Yes, but check the previous post, where Bower Hill touts their barrel proof bottle as "very small batch". We're just poking fun at their marketing.

I'm sure the head of the investor group....I mean the master distiller...probably had a real good rea$on for putting the word "very" on the label.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.