What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Larceny is an every day pour for me, but sometimes it does taste harsh. Not often.

ETL at $100 is very high, but I don't think they lose many customers between pricing it at $60 or $100. They get so little of it, it can't affect their bottom line much either way. I don't care whether I miss it at $35 or whether I pass at $60+

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On the way to a birthday party with the 5 year old granddaughter and stopped in at a Park Slope liquor shop in Brooklyn.  Passed on the following:

ECBP Batch #9 (135.6pf) - $ 100

2016 Elliot's Select - $300

PH24 - $400

Yamazaki 18 - $475 (yeah, I know it's not bourbon!)

Yamazaki 2016 Sherry Cask - $2000 (yeah, I know it's not bourbon, too!)

YIKES!   :ph34r:

And that's before 8.75% NY sales tax.  But at least they have them on the shelf, along with VWFRR (which I didn't even ask about price).  :P

I passed on a Jefferson's Reserve ocean aged today for $83.99. I have never tried it, but am curious. Is it worth the money?

56 minutes ago, Dgriffin said:

I passed on a Jefferson's Reserve ocean aged today for $83.99. I have never tried it, but am curious. Is it worth the money?

It sounds gimmicky but that's part of the fun. If you like Jeffersons you'll like Ocean. Earlier voyages may have been better but I still enjoy it! 

It was tough, but I passed on a Blanton's (regular release) for a mere $124.99 in Charleston, SC.

On 4/22/2017 at 10:08 AM, Rounderegg said:

Not sure if it was a big "pass" but Willet 3 year rye and VOB bib yesterday. 

I rather enjoyed the WFE 3 year rye, much more than I expected. At the typical $37 here, I think it's worth it. Will enjoy seeing how this ages.

VOBBIB, on the other hand, I just can't undertand it. I get a 'beery' hint out of it, and not liking beer, I don't care for VOBBIB. It seems moderately liked here though. I bought a family sized one a month or so ago, cause I needed a BIB and it was $22 and there were no HHBIB's on the shelf. It'll be quite some time before I do that again.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, HoustonNit said:

Good think I read it looks they are 375ML bottles, local place just got them in and are selling them for $46. At $99 they seem like a good deal. They appear to be age stated at 11yrs didn't catch the proof though. All appear to have unique mashbills. If they are over 80 proof I'd definitely consider.

They are 90 proof each. For $100 for the set if includes all 6 it is a pretty good deal to me. One is missing from the picture. Rolled Oats I think. If I didn't already have them that is!

That is basically 3 bottles of 750ml 11yo whiskey for $33 a bottle. Fairly decent deal these days. Plus you get to experiment with the different types of grain. Not all may be winners but as I recall they were all pretty decent and several were quite good. But it has been a while since I had them.

They are 90 proof each. For $100 for the set if includes all 6 it is a pretty good deal to me. One is missing from the picture. Rolled Oats I think. If I didn't already have them that is!

That is basically 3 bottles of 750ml 11yo whiskey for $33 a bottle. Fairly decent deal these days. Plus you get to experiment with the different types of grain. Not all may be winners but as I recall they were all pretty decent and several were quite good. But it has been a while since I had them.

My feelings exactly minus the poor grammar in my response above.

23 hours ago, Rounderegg said:

Passed on Weller Special Reserve

Oh to have that option.

Oh to have that option.

WSR is really not that special. I understand if you've never tried it, you want to scratch that itch, but there are much better bourbons at its price point in my opinion. Some of the WSR private selection single barrels are pretty good, but the standard version is usually a pass for me unless I'm just completely out of it since I do usually keep at least one bottle around for blending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh to have that option.

Where do you live Canada or something? I passed on a shelf full of WSR fifths for $18 and handles for $27 but I'm sure there's something you see on the shelf often that I can't find in Houston.

47 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Where do you live Canada or something? I passed on a shelf full of WSR fifths for $18 and handles for $27 but I'm sure there's something you see on the shelf often that I can't find in Houston.

He lives in Northern Virginia. Some places just don't get any Weller with any kind of regularity. Texas is a place that does (though maybe not Weller 12 anymore).

Basil Hayden Rye at $199.99 (also posted in Liquor Store Huh Moments thread).

14 hours ago, flahute said:

He lives in Northern Virginia. Some places just don't get any Weller with any kind of regularity. Texas is a place that does (though maybe not Weller 12 anymore).

In NJ I have only ever seen OWA and in NY I think I have only seen WSR so markets can be really weird.f

Basil Hayden Rye at $199.99 (also posted in Liquor Store Huh Moments thread).

Someone got bh rye confused with bookers rye...

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

In NJ I have only ever seen OWA and in NY I think I have only seen WSR so markets can be really weird.f

NJ used to be flush with OWA, but I haven't seen it on a shelf in years.  Warehouse Wines in NYC used to be flush with W12 and WSR, but that ship has sailed as well.  Fortunately, I stocked up amply back in the day, or else I would be SOL as to any of these right now.

Just now, jeffrey r said:

NJ used to be flush with OWA, but I haven't seen it on a shelf in years.  Warehouse Wines in NYC used to be flush with W12 and WSR, but that ship has sailed as well.  Fortunately, I stocked up amply back in the day, or else I would be SOL as to any of these right now.

Well if you want OWA and you are in Northern NJ there is a shelf full at Mason's Liquors in Rutherford as recently as yesterday, I have bought 9 bottles in the last 6 months for myself and others, and it is $22.99. 

19 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Someone got bh rye confused with bookers rye...

Tell me about it.  Luckily I hadn't eaten recently or I would have pooped my pants when she told me the price.

Passed on the first ECBP I've seen since December. It was in the new bottle and priced at $79.99. This store tends to be a little high sometimes on some LE stuff, so I'm not sure if this is the new general price in my area or not, but that's $15 more than the most I've paid for any of the bottles in my bunker. They also had a space nearby with a price tag of $78 for Rebel Yell 10yr Single Barrel, which is the same price I passed on at another store a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2017 at 3:44 PM, Dgriffin said:

IMO I don't believe it is. 

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on the first ECBP I've seen since December. It was in the new bottle and priced at $79.99. This store tends to be a little high sometimes on some LE stuff, so I'm not sure if this is the new general price in my area or not, but that's $15 more than the most I've paid for any of the bottles in my bunker. They also had a space nearby with a price tag of $78 for Rebel Yell 10yr Single Barrel, which is the same price I passed on at another store a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is KY the ECBP had been higher than that ($99.00 - $109.99) which I passed on.  I found a bottle at our local Kroger Wine & Spirits a couple of weeks ago as a "Manager's Special" for $60.94.  At that price I pulled the trigger and got a bottle.  KYjd75 grabbed the last bottle they had.

Feel like in a few years a lot of people are gonna regret not buying ECBP at anywhere under $100. Including myself. And I have over 2 dozen in the bunker. Probably consumed at least that much over the last several years BTW. So it's warranted. It's always in my rotation!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.