What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on this for $52.99 You all will think I'm crazy but I actually have a better source when I really want some.  Plus I have plenty of  ECBP  in the bunker.

20170428_115500.jpeg

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Batch 004 is a really solid Kentucky distilled Barrell bottling, I would have bought 3 at that price.

Are you thinking of Barrel Bourbon batch 004?  That's "barrel whiskey" in his picture.  I ask because the Barrel products threw me for a loop when I visited a Binny's recently.  We don't get them here in Indiana, so I was surprised by all the variations of bourbon and whiskey.

Edited by Nm0369

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

Are you thinking of Barrel Bourbon batch 004?  That's "barrel whiskey" in his picture.  I ask because the Barrel products threw me for a loop when I visited a Binny's recently.  We don't get them here in Indiana, so I was surprised by all the variations of bourbon and whiskey.

They have a rum also, but it's in a different aisle 

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

Yep wasn't looking closely enough...

10 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

They have a rum also, but it's in a different aisle 

The rum has been well reviewed I need to grab a bottle

Yep wasn't looking closely enough...

You're not the only one, it was with the bourbon, seemed slightly deceptive. They had one of the barrel bourbons at $80 I think 011.

Just now, HoustonNit said:

You're not the only one, it was with the bourbon, seemed slightly deceptive. They had one of the barrel bourbons at $80 I think 011.

I really like the Barrell Bourbons, obviously they are all pretty different, but the consistently bring something interesting to the table. Batch 006 and 004 have been my favorites but I have a 10 and an 8 that I haven't had yet. I'm a buyer at $70 still find it hard to buy at the $80 I see it at most commonly though I'll go there for 006 or 004 if they are still hanging around.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, ken_mays said:

People are officially insane.  WSR is a pass for me at any price.  Apart from anything else, Larceny blows it out of the water.

completely agree with this.  came across some new bottles of WSR for $27 today and didn't even take a second look at it.  

The only bottle of WSR I had was leaking from the cap when I got it home.  I hope that is the reason it was awful to my taste, but, I haven't bought another bottle since.

Not bourbon, but, I passed on the first bottle of WT101 rye that I have ever seen for $49.99 in the liter bottle.  

While in Bardstown last weekend, I passed on the new Basil Hayden's Rye. Price - $500. What in the Sam Hill?

17 minutes ago, flahute said:

While in Bardstown last weekend, I passed on the new Basil Hayden's Rye. Price - $500. What in the Sam Hill?

I think they added an extra zero by mistake. I passed on it at $50 and from what I've heard I'm glad I did.

Bottles of The Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Brandy Cask Finish made it to Sweden recently, and while a few are still available at ~$110, I think I'll pass. I haven't tried it, or any other in the MC series though. No use to start collecting them now either. Does it taste like $110?

7 minutes ago, Northern Bourbon said:

Bottles of The Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Brandy Cask Finish made it to Sweden recently, and while a few are still available at ~$110, I think I'll pass. I haven't tried it, or any other in the MC series though. No use to start collecting them now either. Does it taste like $110?

Sadly it does not, at least in my opinion. And as a general rule none of them ever have. Which is not to say that a few of them weren't good, or at least interesting. Just not $100 interesting. Although in that regard they are not alone! Lots of things fail to live up to the hype or cost. But it is hard to know for sure until you try them for yourself!

I should add that $110 is not much higher than the typical cost here in the States which has been $100, at least for the past few years.

Passed on three bottles of ECBP latest batch, might regret it but I have three already.

Passed on this 12yr SiB cask strength at Party Town in Florence, KY.  Some quick research suggests it's MGP juice, but $79.99....come on.  IMG_0640.thumb.JPG.cf9686049e2f60c6f251b654e32645e1.JPG

I agree with Bruce that these aren't really worth the price, but I like this one better than he does...there's no accounting for taste. [emoji6] Anyway, if there ever was one of these to try this is one of them...and once they are gone, they're gone.

And even though the WRMC Brandy Cask Finish may not be worth the price, I liked it well enough to buy four bottles since they are a one time limited edition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the WRBF, but I've passed on it for $99. It is unique and tasty

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

I think they added an extra zero by mistake. I passed on it at $50 and from what I've heard I'm glad I did.

No, they were quite serious. It was on the special shelf behind the counter with a handwritten price. 

At another store, I passed on the Michter's Barrel Strength Rye for $200. Jeeeze. I found the ones I have for $70 and that's the max I'd pay.

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

No, they were quite serious. It was on the special shelf behind the counter with a handwritten price. 

At another store, I passed on the Michter's Barrel Strength Rye for $200. Jeeeze. I found the ones I have for $70 and that's the max I'd pay.

Oh I'm sure they were serious.  Crazy, but serious.

38 minutes ago, flahute said:

And I thought they were crazy when someone quoted me $199.99 for a bottle. 

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

40 minutes ago, flahute said:

I tried the BH rye.  Overall it's good and easy to drink.  Negatively, it tastes like watered down OGD with less flavor and slightly more spice/heat.

It is very one dimensional and delicate.  Would not stand up to any cocktail ingredients without getting lost completely.

I don't think it's worth $50, when you can get OGD114 for much less.

I'll second the opinions that suggest it's overpriced. It also seems to have some TCA issues, though I've only seen it with one bottle personally. It keeps coming up in notes on Reddit, for what that's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.