What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a bourbon, but passed on the Basil Hayden Rye at $50. I was interested, but at $50 it was an easy pass.

For those heading into the state next week, things look pretty decent on the aisles.  AA, BT, Blanton's, ER10, Old Fitz BIB (750's and handles), OGD BIB and 114 all have been fully stocked this week (at least in the stores I've been in).  I'm also seeing a lot of Michter's (even saw some fresh 10 yr old stock), some straggling age stated KC's and all the HH BIB lineup stocked up to the end of the rows.  Speaking of KC, most stores I've been in have their own PS KCSB's in stock (and they're all good!).  Wild Turkey aisle spaces are full (including all the RR bourbon and rye brands).  I also observed several SA products (10 and 11 year old BP's, the 100 proof and Contradiction is still to be found).  Of course, all the cats and dogs are equally represented as well. 

In case you were wondering, no RHF to be found anywhere, and little to no Weller (except in the back rooms;)).  Speaking of RHF, we are due a drop here in Ky.  Unfortunately, whatever we get won't take up any shelf space, as it will be gone in a day or two.   

10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

For those heading into the state next week, things look pretty decent on the aisles.  AA, BT, Blanton's, ER10, Old Fitz BIB (750's and handles), OGD BIB and 114 all have been fully stocked this week (at least in the stores I've been in).  I'm also seeing a lot of Michter's (even saw some fresh 10 yr old stock), some straggling age stated KC's and all the HH BIB lineup stocked up to the end of the rows.  Speaking of KC, most stores I've been in have their own PS KCSB's in stock (and they're all good!).  Wild Turkey aisle spaces are full (including all the RR bourbon and rye brands).  I also observed several SA products (10 and 11 year old BP's, the 100 proof and Contradiction is still to be found).  Of course, all the cats and dogs are equally represented as well. 

You should get a job in the Bureau of Kentucky Tourism. You use did more to bring in tourists than any ad campaign in the last ten years

Thanks for the heads up Pat. Not too concerned about much except for the HHBIB. I plan on bringing home at least a few bottles. :rolleyes:

Cheers! Joe

Passed on several iterations of 10 and 11 year SAOS SBs at approx $60 and ECBP batch 12 for $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, HoustonNit said:

Did the bottle like this?

e85ad0567789a9211daa13c8fa655b8b.jpg

Alas, no. LOL. Though to be fair, I'd also have a dumbfounded look on my face if it did look like that.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, lcpfratn said:

emoji15.pngemoji15.pngemoji15.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
That is absolute insanity. WSR is hardly worth $20-$25 to me except for the occasional store picks. It's readily available in my area and is generally priced anywhere from $19 to $25. The store picks are sometimes a bit more.

Welp, I'm clearly living in the wrong part of the country.

Out & about today and passed on Elijah Craig 18 for 199.99.

Also walked out of another store laughing at Weller 12 for 129.99 and ETL for 99.99. Before I walked out I poked the attendant with a "Weller Special for over 100+ dollars. Wow."

30 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Out & about today and passed on Elijah Craig 18 for 199.99.

Also walked out of another store laughing at Weller 12 for 129.99 and ETL for 99.99. Before I walked out I poked the attendant with a "Weller Special for over 100+ dollars. Wow."

They only wanted $199.99 for the EC 18.  I was quoted $250.  ETL, when you can find it around here is always $100.

52 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

They only wanted $199.99 for the EC 18.  I was quoted $250.  ETL, when you can find it around here is always $100.

Well on the plus side ETL isn't worth half that so at least the decision is easy.

55 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I wasn't discouraged on the EC18. ETL, however, was way out of line. $100 dollars is just highway robbery. I like how stores always try to reason with it to. "Well, we had to sell X amount of cases just to get a few of those. We have to make our money too." LOL. Their distorted economics. 

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well on the plus side ETL isn't worth half that so at least the decision is easy.

Exactly.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

13 hours ago, Government Beard said:

I wasn't discouraged on the EC18. ETL, however, was way out of line. $100 dollars is just highway robbery. I like how stores always try to reason with it to. "Well, we had to sell X amount of cases just to get a few of those. We have to make our money too." LOL. Their distorted economics. 

Exactly.

Yeah, i don't mind the stores making some money off of each sale but I don't want them making it all off me.  The last store that I went in that had ETL had about 8 bottles at $100.  I guess they're just waiting for some guy with more money than sense to walk in the door.  The EC18 at retail or maybe a little above would have been a buy for me but double retail.  NO THANKS!

Dont fret it CaB. I purchased several of the newer releases. They were good & unique. Just wish they would up the proof or something. Maybe 100-110. Then you would have something. The younger stronger brother (ECBP) puts EC18 to shame IMO.

I am not much on Jim Beam, but I thought these looked interesting.
3a00a3175f2d794a4b57a45616d4e9fd.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Dont fret it CaB. I purchased several of the newer releases. They were good & unique. Just wish they would up the proof or something. Maybe 100-110. Then you would have something. The younger stronger brother (ECBP) puts EC18 to shame IMO.

That's good to hear since I picked up a bottle of ECBP A117 recently.

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I've always thought they looked interesting as well but the price always cooled my interest. I've heard some stores have been discounting them to under $20. One store with a big online shop was running a sale for all 6 varieties for $99. With shipping it put it right around $125.  I ALMOST jumped. 

Edit: I just looked at their website and they still have the 6 pack for $100 or individual bottles for $20.

Edited by Clueby

I've always thought they looked interesting as well but the price always cooled my interest. I've heard some stores have been discounting them to under $20. One store with a big online shop was running a sale for all 6 varieties for $99. With shipping it put it right around $125.  I ALMOST jumped. 
Edit: I just looked at their website and they still have the 6 pack for $100 or individual bottles for $20.

I'd get them all for $100.

Good think I read it looks they are 375ML bottles, local place just got them in and are selling them for $46. At $99 they seem like a good deal. They appear to be age stated at 11yrs didn't catch the proof though. All appear to have unique mashbills. If they are over 80 proof I'd definitely consider.

Passed up Baby Saz everywhere.  Maybe it's alwAys been sitting there and it's just on my mind because of Brockmire :wacko:

People are officially insane.  WSR is a pass for me at any price.  Apart from anything else, Larceny blows it out of the water.

15 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

People are officially insane.  WSR is a pass for me at any price.  Apart from anything else, Larceny blows it out of the water.

Opinions, options, and different palates are a wonderful thing. I agree that people go crazy over WSR but I still enjoy it and will pick it up when I find it under $20 which is still pretty often. I saw a ton of it today for low $20s. On the other hand I don't agree that Larceny "blows it out of the water". I actually find the opposite to be true. I dislike Larceny to the point where I wouldn't purchase it again regardless of the price. I tried it more than a few times thinking I just got an off bottle or was having a bad palate. Nope..just don't like it. Tastes like nail polish remover to me.

14 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

May look interesting but they are not - easy pass at any price for me

Opinions, options, and different palates are a wonderful thing. I agree that people go crazy over WSR but I still enjoy it and will pick it up when I find it under $20 which is still pretty often. I saw a ton of it today for low $20s. On the other hand I don't agree that Larceny "blows it out of the water". I actually find the opposite to be true. I dislike Larceny to the point where I wouldn't purchase it again regardless of the price. I tried it more than a few times thinking I just got an off bottle or was having a bad palate. Nope..just don't like it. Tastes like nail polish remover to me.

I couldn't agree more, Larceny does nothing for me. I am not a huge fan of WSR but would buy it over Larceny. OWA and W12 are even better.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

May look interesting but they are not - easy pass at any price for me

Have you tried them? Are they not very tasty? The triticale interests me the most.

I've tried some not all but it was enough to make me keep the rest of my money in my pocket as far as these are concerned. I've seen them marked down to $19.95 and still passed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.