What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couple of newbies to the doomsday shelter. One more OWA and a Willett Rye 7 Year.

Huzzah

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.65d3f6d56286602c36a27b56878bcce7.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, FasterHorses said:

I ran into a shelf of 2005 today and didn't pull the trigger. . Was 2004 the last good year?

I've had some very good 2006 bottles.  2004 has been Jekyll-Hyde for me.  Have some 2005 that I've never opened for no reason. 

Tried a few 2007 & 2008 and was not impressed, so I have given up on this SKU.   2002-03 were excellent but that quality is long gone.  Best to spend a little more for EC or HMcK10 these days.

Edited by Kepler

4 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Couple of newbies to the doomsday shelter. One more OWA and a Willett Rye 7 Year.

Huzzah

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.65d3f6d56286602c36a27b56878bcce7.JPG

I have to ask about the OWA.  Did they go back to the old label?  The last bottle I purchased several months ago was the new red label that just said Weller. 

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Cleared the shelf of HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 (save one, bad karma ya' know) before leaving Rhode Island last night.  But to no avail since I didn't get a call from my go-to store lottery of PVW/BTAC - I though sure I was gonna' get SOMETHING, but no joy in Mudville today.   :huh:

Oh yee of little faith - I need to check my phone messages more often!  I DID win something in the lottery this weekend - 2017 GTS!  Yea.   :D

• I like it 4

Traveling, and I bought a store pick 1792 single barrel.  Have already drank a half a bottle of this so I know it's really good.  Might grab another before I head back home.

5 hours ago, Canarse said:

I have to ask about the OWA.  Did they go back to the old label?  The last bottle I purchased several months ago was the new red label that just said Weller. 

No I wouldn't think they'd do back to the old label. I found these two in a shop out of the way. I am seeing less and less old labels and more new ones. 

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Oh yee of little faith - I need to check my phone messages more often!  I DID win something in the lottery this weekend - 2017 GTS!  Yea.   :D

Congrats. A buddy opened his bottle of '17 GTS a couple nights ago & its fabulous.

Was in the local Liquor Barn to get a bottle of port for Christmas Eve and saw that they had a Single Barrel selection of BT.  Since I had one hand free I picked one up.

I continue to keep an eye out for any LE potential in the St. Louis area, but not holding my breath. Still got plenty of good bourbon to get my hands on though. Had a couple of ER10 Picks and an RHF show up today just in time for a little Thanksgiving cheer. Hope you all have a good one.

• I like it 1

Managed to score a 13-year-old Knob Creek store pick while visiting the girlfriend's family for Thanksgiving...can't wait to crack it!

Haven't posted in a long time, mostly because the hype is annoying and I've stuck with EWBIB and HMcK BIB, but walked into a shop that changed locations and the owner remembered me and offered a GTS. A little over retail, but bought it anyway cause why not, it fell into my lap. 

• I like it 7

As I continue to dusty hunt my way through LE season it was hard to pass up this JBB 8yr from the Booker era.

IMG_20171122_210634952.jpg

IMG_20171122_210721114.jpg

• I like it 5

Went in to the store to pick up some ECBP and some Jack Daniels SBBP. The clerk took notice of the ECBP and asked if the name “Elmer T” meant anything to me. I replied that it sounds like a treat. He pulled a bottle from under the counter which I added to my purchase. 

It it was a pleasant surprise. I’m in Oregon and the store are under state control. I didn’t know that it was even sold here. I thanked the clerk for making my Thanksgiving even better. 

• I like it 2

Had a buddy grab me one of these FRYL gift sets at Costco for an incredible price. This year the set comes with a FR pint glass, a bar spoon, and a drink strainer
83d9d7612807805dad8447bc53c4a03f.jpg

Well, since my chance of landing any of the LE bottles is approaching zero, I splurged a little on a few store picks and harder to find things in the area. I have a feeling my wallet is going to be really happy once 'hunting season' is over B)

23737792_301488660355080_4577931908049418179_o.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

Well, since my chance of landing any of the LE bottles is approaching zero, I splurged a little on a few store picks and harder to find things in the area. I have a feeling my wallet is going to be really happy once 'hunting season' is over B)

23737792_301488660355080_4577931908049418179_o.jpg

Those store picks makes me a little jealous, great haul! 

Will.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:17 PM, graftonbc1 said:

Curious to see what you think. I sipped an ounce of this last week. To me, it is very much unlike most FR offerings, but it is very interesting and very delicious.

So far, I'm a little disappointed. It has the fruitiness up-front and the caramel in the back - kinda like a mix of '14 and 15' (from what I remember.) The taste is as it should be. But the mouthfeel is thinner than usual, and the finish is too short. It's still a good bourbon, but so far not as good as the earlier offerings.
If it was as cheap as the '14, I might go for more bottles. But it doesn't do the increasing price, for the SmBLE over the years, justice.
Keep in mind I've only tasted it twice on two separate days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.