What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Tburg said:

A trip to Florida and brought back some good ones that I haven't seen before..excited to give them all a try.  

image.jpg

I really like the Weller Antique. I think you will find smooth for 107 proof. 

IMG_4658.thumb.JPG.0e1afb72e5827a0a9e271700437790e2.JPG

IMG_4662.thumb.JPG.be59c111e99f93e682ef875db942a9ee.JPG

I was given the choice of any 2 LE bottles from my go to store. WLW X 2. The FR PS was a steal though. $54.99 per bottle. Of course I had to buy a case. It's 111.6 proof & a good age for the current market. It's also very good.

Cheers,

Jeff

• I like it 5

33 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

What do you think of MM private picks? I've always wanted to pull the trigger on one but have never done so. 

I tried one of the two, really really like it, lots of extra complexity from the different staves and the proof is right. K&L also tends to do some great barrel picks.

17 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

I was given the choice of any 2 LE bottles from my go to store. WLW X 2. The FR PS was a steal though. $54.99 per bottle. Of course I had to buy a case. It's 111.6 proof & a good age for the current market. It's also very good.

Cheers,

Jeff

Interesting, I have a PS FR OESV that's 10 year 7 months at 54.7%. It's from warehouse TS barrel number 23-1J. 

• I like it 1

Found a few nice bottles at an out of the way LS:

Balcones True Blue CS- the baby blue is interesting, so it's worth a try

WR Masters Collction Brandy Cask - good reviews and it was marked down to $75

WR Masters Collection White Corn - just $50 (owner practically begged me to take it)

EC 18yr- couldnt bleive it was actually out on the shelf at msrp

Foursquare 2004 rum - kicking myself for not buying the other 2 bottles 

Edited by Niner Outlaw
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'll just say that if you don't like MM in general, these won't change your opinion. But let's hear MM fans chime in, folks seem to like these bottles a lot.

I'll be a little nicer and say while MM tastes like acetone to me and not much else, these are pretty tasty not mindblowing but definitely the best product they put out. MM CS (non PS) is maybe my least favorite of the lot.

I'll just say that if you don't like MM in general, these won't change your opinion. But let's hear MM fans chime in, folks seem to like these bottles a lot.

I'm a fan. I've got three MM Private Selects, including one which is the new version of M46 cask strength. None are opened, but I tasted two of them before I purchased them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just poured a glass of a MM PS pick from Bayway/Whisky Magazine, mind you it is chasing an ECBP 139.4 proof, on the nose lots of maple and a hint of toasted almond, taste is the same with some bitterness and alcohol not bad though, finish is abrupt. Again probably not a fair night to have a pour but despite the abuse my taster all ready went through I still find it to be pretty solid.  Now onto a small pour of MMCS 113.2 proof and no change to my feelings on this one, it is not for me, gonna add a splash of vermouth because I can't bring myself to dump it.

12 hours ago, jshleffar said:

what I assume is my last chance at BTAC fell through so I consoled myself.

Makers.jpg

I'm a fan of the MMPS I have tasted.  The first was at Keeneland.  Second was a selection at a ABC store in my area.  I like them both.  I would assume the stave choices can make a significant difference in profile, but I'm 2 for 2 so far.

The caveat is I'm a big fan of high proof wheaters.  For example, I will take OW107 over W12 any day.

14 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

What do you think of MM private picks? I've always wanted to pull the trigger on one but have never done so. 

Not a fan of regular MM at all.  The 46 is better and the two PS of 46 that I've had are really good.  I got one that had 5 French Mocha staves and they gave it a really good flavor.

Stopped by Kroger W & S yesterday to drop my daily entry into the Pappy drawing and noticed that they had 1792 Single Barrel and CEHT SmB on a pretty good sale.  Didn't have a bottle of 1792 SiB and since CEHT is starting to be hard to find around here I went ahead and pulled the trigger on both.

Received a text today, It said pick one. followed by a picture of 3 bottles, Stagg, ORVW 10, PVW Lot B. You can see what I chose. BOOM!!!

Stagg.jpg.77161f3acad741c39e620cc215469d01.jpg

• I like it 8

I went out last night in search of RHF's or maybe ETL. Drove over to Richmond and found a bottle of ETL at my first stop. Priced at $80 w/tax and went for it. I haven't seen a bottle of ETL in a long time and wanted one for the holidays. I didn't see much at the next few stops. Last stop....found ETL for $50 w/tax! They had Wathen's SB for $50 w/tax, so I got that too!

Earlier in the day, my mom came across a bottle of OWA for $50 plus tax. She bought it for me "since she knew I would like it." 

Pretty nice day!!!

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, Dango said:

Received a text today, It said pick one. followed by a picture of 3 bottles, Stagg, ORVW 10, PVW Lot B. You can see what I chose. BOOM!!!

It was the right one to pick, enjoy! 

Will.

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, BamaGrad2005 said:

I went out last night in search of RHF's or maybe ETL. Drove over to Richmond and found a bottle of ETL at my first stop. Priced at $80 w/tax and went for it. I haven't seen a bottle of ETL in a long time and wanted one for the holidays. I didn't see much at the next few stops. Last stop....found ETL for $50 w/tax! They had Wathen's SB for $50 w/tax, so I got that too!

Earlier in the day, my mom came across a bottle of OWA for $50 plus tax. She bought it for me "since she knew I would like it." 

Pretty nice day!!!

That's a loving mother for sure ;-) 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Not a fan of regular MM at all.  The 46 is better and the two PS of 46 that I've had are really good.  I got one that had 5 French Mocha staves and they gave it a really good flavor.

Good to know, thanks! I'll have to try a bottle. The state stores in PA have a private pick out now, I might give that a shot when I visit family over the holidays. 

As a side note, found an OWA at $31.99 hidden behind some other bottles in Queens today. Cheapest price I've come across it in NYC by $20!

Edited by NYCBourbon

17 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Cheers,

Jeff

Very nice! 

Will.

1 hour ago, Dango said:

Did I help, even a little?  Or did you already know!   :D

Way to go.  :)

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Dango said:

Nicely done! I have my bottle that I will be opening on Christmas. I will be anxious to compare notes with you.

Ray

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Absolutely, I️ actually opened your post and read it again after receiving the text. Thank You sir. 

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

Nicely done! I have my bottle that I will be opening on Christmas. I will be anxious to compare notes with you.

Ray

Opening in few weeks, promised owner of LS a sample. Stay tuned 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Nice to see that my son is always there to help. 

Edited by graftonbc1
  • I like it 1

21 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

Nice to see that my son is always there to help. 

We all need to get together for some tastings. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.