What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

[emoji3]

Thanks. Dodgers are the worst. They come to San Diego and take over the Padres stadium (Petco Park).

Funny about the A's. Actually have a soft spot for the A's due what their fans have to live with (Terrible stadium. Terrible owner. Having to put up with Giants fans)

Cheers.

Cool respect the heck out of Padres fans, sort of like Mets fans in NY. I was an Angels fan as a kid before I eventually ended up in Houston.

Use to go to spring training for the Padres as a kid when they did it in Palm Springs. Bruce Hurst was playing for them and my brother-in-law grew up with him.
  • I like it 1

Funny about the A's. Actually have a soft spot for the A's due what their fans have to live with (Terrible stadium. Terrible owner. Having to put up with Giants fans)

Cheers.

This was 89-90. Back in the Canseco, McGuire days right after they beat the Giants in the WS. Every punk kid had a A's hat.

I'm weird my favorite player is Donnie Moore.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Cool respect the heck out of Padres fans, sort of like Mets fans in NY. I was an Angels fan as a kid before I eventually ended up in Houston.

Use to go to spring training for the Padres as a kid when they did it in Palm Springs. Bruce Hurst was playing for them and my brother-in-law grew up with him.

We have it bad, us Padre fans. We also thank you for the recognition. 

Just had a 2nd pour of the 114 - watching the Dogs/Astros - you got to be kidding me. Now Houston's bullpen blows the game in the 9th.

10 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Everyone has said great things about this store pick BT. I’m looking forward to a blind sbsbs with this, standard BT, and ER10.

I’ve yet to try the WT Rye 101. It has been on my whiskeys to buy list for a while. 

883D982E-9A71-420C-B50F-F282E79589B4.jpeg

I think you're in for a treat with both of those.  :wub:

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think you're in for a treat with both of those.  :wub:

The WT Rye 101 was awesome.  That’s my new go-to Rye. I’ll give the BT a run next week. 

Picked up an Old Fitz BiB for the bunker. I shouldn't have bought it since I'm in the middle of moving, but seeing these on the shelf is rare and at $20 it's a great value.

Well lessee, yesterday I purchased 3 private selections. a 1792 FP (my 2nd bottle, 1st was great), a George Dickel PS that was barreled in 2007 and a Four Roses PS OESK at 9 yrs, 10 months. My local liquor store guy is an enabler. ;-) I plan on going back for their 11+ yr old EC SiB PS but I digress... The bunker is growing. This hobby started earlier this year and I have worked my way from the $25 to $30 offerings to the $40 to $50 and now have several in the $60+ category. It's been fun and I'm sure once the Zen has been attained I'll level off. Q: Is it a problem if you sneak new additions to the basement while your wife is distracted? LOL.

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, ondarocks said:

Well lessee, yesterday I purchased 3 private selections. a 1792 FP (my 2nd bottle, 1st was great), a George Dickel PS that was barreled in 2007 and a Four Roses PS OESK at 9 yrs, 10 months. My local liquor store guy is an enabler. ;-) I plan on going back for their 11+ yr old EC SiB PS but I digress... The bunker is growing. This hobby started earlier this year and I have worked my way from the $25 to $30 offerings to the $40 to $50 and now have several in the $60+ category. It's been fun and I'm sure once the Zen has been attained I'll level off. Q: Is it a problem if you sneak new additions to the basement while your wife is distracted? LOL.

Well I started my bourbon journey early this year like you.  Also, like you I've worked my way up the ladder.  Ummmm, I hate to tell you but Zen will never be attained as you will continue to buy bourbon.  Remember bourbon is a journey, not a destination.  To answer your question, yes, but only if she catches you.

I meant Zen as far as what will satisfy both my palate and my wallet, IOW the law of diminishing returns level. It's a fun journey and mighty tasty!

1 hour ago, ondarocks said:

Is it a problem if you sneak new additions to the basement while your wife is distracted? LOL.

God bless

2 hours ago, ondarocks said:

It's been fun and I'm sure once the Zen has been attained.., Q: Is it a problem if you sneak new additions to the basement while your wife is distracted? LOL.

You will have reached Zen when you no longer care about what she thinks...

TOTAL ZEN will be reached when SHE is sneaking in special bottles for YOU, for birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc., presents....

• I like it 5

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

TOTAL ZEN will be reached when SHE is sneaking in special bottles for YOU, for birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc., presents....

And Zen + is when she sneaks it in for herself. But she'll let you have a sip. If you are good.

59 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I have been making so many calls and asking questions at local LSs that the girl I'm dating actually woke me up this morning to tell me she had a dream that she found a bottle of BTAC lol.  

• I like it 2

You're all wrong. Bourbon Zen is reached when you're out for a drive and your wife says, "There's a liquor store. Wanna stop?" And when you go grocery shopping and your wife says, "Go ahead and check out the liquor store, and I'll meet you in the grocery store when you're done." :D

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 5

No, Zen is reached when SHE comes over to you carrying a bottle and says" isn't this the one you've been looking for?" It's happened to me a couple of times. Once, it wasn't the bottle I was looking for, but A for effort!

• I like it 1

So I passed on WTRB 112.8 @ $44.99 / 750 and purchased some WTRB 112.8 @ $14.99 / 375.  I don't get pricing sometimes.  I actually thought the label was a mistake and had to check out the VA ABC website to confirm.

My wife stopped tonight on her way home and picked up an OWA single barrel select for me since I'm out of town in KC. Got some good KC area tips from a fellow SBr. Ended up finding more OWA here for $25 on the Kansas side. It's interesting to see the different availability and pricing in markets. WSR is EVERYWHERE in all sizes by the case. I didn't see any CEHT Small Batch but every store had Single Barrel.  Lowest price I saw was $58. 1792 Sweet Wheat. Forged Oak by the dozens. LOTS of Barrel Bourbon of several batches (10, 12, and New Year). OGD114 under $20. One store even had a HUGE stack of Talisker Storm for under $40. I might go back for one of those tomorrow. 

I guess most of this should be in the "Pass" thread since all I bought was one lone OWA.

20171026_191728-1008x756.jpg

20171026_192027-756x1008.jpg

20171026_191751-756x1008.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You're all wrong. Bourbon Zen is reached when you're out for a drive and your wife says, "There's a liquor store. Wanna stop?" And when you go grocery shopping and your wife says, "Go ahead and check out the liquor store, and I'll meet you in the grocery store when you're done." :D

Cheers! Joe

my idol....  (bow).

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of Michter's 10 at retail on the shelf at a small LS after passing on it at another store for $150.

I also found a deal on a WT Diamond Anniversary for $96 plus tax while traveling to visit my mother. I've been wanting one of these, but haven't wanted to spend the $130 that is usually asked for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2017 at 8:04 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Dang, that's a nice haul there fellow!!

Thanks old sport. Its a jungle out there.

6 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

So I passed on WTRB 112.8 @ $44.99 / 750 and purchased some WTRB 112.8 @ $14.99 / 375.  I don't get pricing sometimes.  I actually thought the label was a mistake and had to check out the VA ABC website to confirm.

Holy cow, you're right!  Three 375's for the same price as one 750. How does this make sense?

The proprietor of my favorite local LS texted me yesterday to let me know he had Weller 12 and was holding some for me. Already have a handful in the bunker but I'm a firm believer in keeping a comfortable stock of selections that I enjoy, especially when they only come around a few times a year. Add in the fact that this LS owner is really good about keeping his customers happy and I'll go out of my way to reward that with my patronage... So a couple bottles of W12 went home with me yesterday after work!

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers! Joe

On our way home from Ann Arbor, (about an hour and a half drive) Mrs. JT fresh out of surgery that morning says, "Do you want to stop at your liquor store?" 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.