What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

My feelings of happiness for you are only tainted by my own dirty jealousy.

Enjoy!

:)

Nicely said ;-) Those are still available in Europe, but not fro long, some old stock i guess. I've never tried it, that's why i've only ordered 2 bottles. 

Thanks ! :)

Will.

10 hours ago, skidfive said:

After getting only getting a Thomas H Handy last year,  I got a call from a local shop I've befriended.   Told me he had a WLW, Stagg,  and Handy.    Went by the shop and grabbed each for $200.   Not crazy bad for California pricing.   

I stopped in another shop in the area where they randomly had 3 Staggs literally sitting on the shelf for $139.    I had all three on the counter when a guy came in, started looking at the lockup and asking about specialty bottles.    I called him over and gave up one of the Staggs.    

Looking back now,  I should have just sold him the one I got for 200.    Oh well,  hopefully the bourbon gods are good to me this year.

20171206_131527.jpg

Man! You've hit the jackpot, congrats and enjoy! 

Will.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, skidfive said:

Still gave up a Stagg.   Adding up my good karma for the Pappy release. 

Was just giving you trouble. That was cool of you. I would of been hovering over all of those bottles in a trance saying  "my precious". 

Grabbed a dusty Woodford Reserve Brandy Cask Finish for the bunker.

It's a bit different with the Brandy cask finishing, but if you're a brandy/cognac fan, you'll probably like it if you haven't already tried it. I certainly do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Careful drinking the contents of those decanters.

I was warned they could have issues.  What are your thoughts on it? 

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wow, that is pretty cool.  Can you share how you scored these?  Were they from a store?  An estate sale?

Random post on one of the secondary selling sites.  Dude was clearing out his grandfathers basement and isn't a bourbon guy.  Searching led him to a selling site and I was first to contact him.  He was very reasonable on pricing. 

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

From Packages and More this afternoon.

IMG_2206.JPG

That is a nice day. I’d probably take that haul over some of the LE stuff. 

• I like it 1

A little lead poisoning never hurt anyone.
  • I like it 1

Picked up an OWA 107 for 29.99 from my favorite local shop and then grabbed a KCSiB Goose Island Brewmaster pick from Binny's. Aged over 12 years. Has anyone tried this yet? It comes in a cool wooden display box. I can post a picture later when I get home from work.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Let me preface this by saying that everything that follows is wholly anecdotal and not supported by scientific evidence. I will just share what happened to me.  So take with a grain of salt.

Came across WT and ER decanters with corks intact. Called Wild Turkey Campari distillery customer service for information about the safety of the contents. My concern was possible lead poisoning from the paint. They would not comment on them and referred me to a third party who took over from the original makers. I eventually reached some company in Kentucky and spoke to someone who owns a shop of collectibles that sells the decanters. So not a reliable source other than he was familiar with the real concern of lead paint.  He told me he'd never consider drinking the whiskey himself.   Not because he knows certain decanters have paint containing lead but that you can't be sure which ones do or don't.  For me it's not worth it. There's plenty of great tasting whiskey out there to enjoy.

But you should do your own research.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Let me preface this by saying that everything that follows is wholly anecdotal and not supported by scientific evidence. I will just share what happened to me.  So take with a grain of salt.

Came across WT and ER decanters with corks intact. Called Wild Turkey Campari distillery customer service for information about the safety of the contents. My concern was possible lead poisoning from the paint. They would not comment on them and referred me to a third party who took over from the original makers. I eventually reached some company in Kentucky and spoke to someone who owns a shop of collectibles that sells the decanters. So not a reliable source other than he was familiar with the real concern of lead paint.  He told me he'd never consider drinking the whiskey himself.   Not because he knows certain decanters have paint containing lead but that you can't be sure which ones do or don't.  For me it's not worth it. There's plenty of great tasting whiskey out there to enjoy.

I'd take my chances. But I've been known to drink gasoline mixed with iced tea, mix Zippo fluid in cocktails, and drink Jack Daniels neat... Looking back, I should probably rethink my way of life..

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Jace said:

I'd take my chances. But I've been known to drink gasoline mixed with iced tea, mix Zippo fluid in cocktails, and drink Jack Daniels neat... Looking back, I should probably rethink my way of life..

At least on the Jack Daniels part . . . :D;)

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

ill spend 20.00 for a lead test kit and see.  thx!

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

• I like it 1

Out looking for an OWA for a friend and ran across this old WSR. Pretty unexpected find!

enhance

Out looking for an OWA for a friend and ran across this old WSR. Pretty unexpected find!

enhance

That’s just last year’s bottle. They switched to the new bottles this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s just last year’s bottle. They switched to the new bottles this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep i know. I think you misinterpreted what i meant by old. 

Edited by FasterHorses

2 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

seemed too much trouble for me, but please let us all know your results, inquiring minds want to know. good luck!

4 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Picked up an OWA 107 for 29.99 from my favorite local shop and then grabbed a KCSiB Goose Island Brewmaster pick from Binny's. Aged over 12 years. Has anyone tried this yet? It comes in a cool wooden display box. I can post a picture later when I get home from work.

Tried to get one of those KCSB, but the Binnys I went to said they were all gone!

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

How old do you think it is? It's still NAS

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.