What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

During a day trip to Myrtle Beach SC today I passed on 

PVW 20 @$1,300

ORVW @$600

This years Boss Hog @$499, last years  at $328

Blantons anywhere from $69 to $99.  

W107 @ $79

On the bright side I did find a store with very fair prices on other items not readily available in NC.   

Sam's Club had 9 year age stated gift sets of KC for $25. Their non gift set bottles were also all age stated and were $29. Tons of it.

Interesting on how the gift sets are less than the regular bottles. Some bean counter at the distributor complains about aged seasonal inventory who's clueless. That as well as some warehouse manager complaining about the extra storage space the gift bottle sets take up and deciding to fire sell them.
  • I like it 1

22 minutes ago, $helby said:

During a day trip to Myrtle Beach SC today I passed on 

PVW 20 @$1,300

ORVW @$600

This years Boss Hog @$499, last years  at $328

Blantons anywhere from $69 to $99.  

W107 @ $79

On the bright side I did find a store with very fair prices on other items not readily available in NC.   

Ridiculous prices. I paid 100.00 for Blanton's over the 4th of July weekend in Myrtle Beach. I wanted something good for the holiday and had the extra vacation cash so I purchased. I have a home just over the boarder in Sunset beach/Calabash area. Next time I will be sure to bring some, I don't like contributing to these antics.

• I like it 1

On 12/9/2017 at 12:39 AM, Paddy said:

I've been passing on the 1792, 225th anniversary bottle quite a bit lately. 

Now that I've posted this, I'm sure to cave in the next day, or two:ph34r:...

I have no idea if it's any good, but I would but this one just to try it (assuming the price isn't too bad.  I do wish this wasn't KY only.

Passed on a Maker’s Mark Private Select. I almost grabbed one but the price and uncertainty made me hesitate. For $70 I’d be disappointed unless it were excellent. And the names of the various staves seem meaningless to me. How could I have any sense of whether any particular combination would be good?

2 hours ago, Spade said:

Passed on a Maker’s Mark Private Select. I almost grabbed one but the price and uncertainty made me hesitate. For $70 I’d be disappointed unless it were excellent. And the names of the various staves seem meaningless to me. How could I have any sense of whether any particular combination would be good?

I bought one in May as a gift for my brother. I wouldn’t have given it a second look had the liquor store owner not offered me a sample. It was fantastic. Next time you’re there you should ask f the have one open to sample. Otherwise I agree that it’s impossible to know how each can taste since 1. We don’t have access to the different stages (other than 46) and 2. Even if we did we would have no idea how they taste blended. I would very interested in picking a private barrel from MM, and I’m not a huge wheater fan.  

• I like it 1

I can vouch for the ones that have a significant number of the French Mocha Staves.  Very tasty, plus the PS bottles are bottled at barrel proof (at least mine are).

Keep passing on the Boss Hog The Black Prince anywhere from $450 to $500+........however I feel myself crumbling as I had a decent pour a night or two ago from a friends bottle, he has more money than sense so a great friend to have with this hobby of mine.......and to my palate it tasted unbelievable.

• I like it 1

1792 BIB was $49.99 and I passed, went about a quarter mile up the road and they were selling it for $109.99. 

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

1792 BIB was $49.99 and I passed, went about a quarter mile up the road and they were selling it for $109.99. 

Ugh.  for the past couple years, the 1792 has flown under the radar.  Guess that's over...

6 hours ago, birdie said:

Keep passing on the Boss Hog The Black Prince anywhere from $450 to $500+........however I feel myself crumbling as I had a decent pour a night or two ago from a friends bottle, he has more money than sense so a great friend to have with this hobby of mine.......and to my palate it tasted unbelievable.

Don't do it!

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Imagine what VOB BiB will  fetch as its much more limited in distribution and exclusive.

On 12/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, WatchUrSix said:

George T Stagg for 700$ and Pappy 12 for 500$ What is a respectable price to pay for these two? These are the only two bottles I've seen in two years! With a MSRP of 90$ for George T Stagg and 50$ on Pappy 12. I haven't seen any price that wasn't gouged, ever. lol Looking at black market prices I see the low end 300$ for George T and 150$ for Pappy 12 and this still seems like too much.

I want to try these bourbons but knowing the MSRP I get mad at the gouging, at the same time I have a part of me that wants to buy them and say F it. Getting more and more discouraged as I try to find the rare bottles. Seems to make me biopolar at times LMAO.  

Finding a pour at a reputable bar will cost less and may well satisfy your curiosity to the point where you no longer feel the need to seek out unicorns, of course It could also confirm for you that those bottles are so far superior to "standard" bourbons readily available that only they will satisfy your palate, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by kcgumbohead

Love the prices,   but love seeing how they are displayed even more.

Hahaha

WLW $799

Stagg $699

Handy $499

20171215_123122.jpg

Skip ski skip annnnnnnd skip. It was a tough choice passing on those Bird Dog flavored whiskies 

IMG_0416.thumb.JPG.24ba24682d34fbfcdd0a8606eb0f8f0b.JPG

Imagine what VOB BiB will  fetch as its much more limited in distribution and exclusive.

But no fancy bottle.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Government Beard said:

It was a tough choice passing on those Bird Dog flavored whiskies 

Dear lord!  Reading those labels brought back bad memories of hangovers in my long-ago youth from too many bottles of Boone's Farm flavored "wine".  I can't even imagine how bad those Bird Dog abominations would make you feel! 

43 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Dear lord!  Reading those labels brought back bad memories of hangovers in my long-ago youth from too many bottles of Boone's Farm flavored "wine".  I can't even imagine how bad those Bird Dog abominations would make you feel! 

Even the non-flavored version that comes in that bottle is abominable. FYI. Don't try it.

9 hours ago, skidfive said:

Hahaha

WLW $799

Stagg $699

Handy $499

20171215_123122.jpg

Remember the Miller High Life tv commercials.  The black guy would show up with a hand truck and remove all their product due to some transgression?

9 hours ago, skidfive said:

Hahaha

WLW $799

Stagg $699

Handy $499

20171215_123122.jpg

"What?  You mean that whiskey isn't like wine were you have to keep the cork wet to preserve it????"

NO, you dummy - higher proof spirits kept lying on their sides will only help deteriorate their cork much faster (so I'm told)!   :P

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

"What?  You mean that whiskey isn't like wine were you have to keep the cork wet to preserve it????"

NO, you dummy - higher proof spirits kept lying on their sides will only help deteriorate their cork much faster (so I'm told)!   :P

Thanks Gee. I was contemplating posting something about these bottles being displayed on their sides. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm. <_<

Biba! Joe

39 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Mgr told me they are 1/2 the price of the online sites. Didn't want to argue. PVW23 was $1799.99

Sadly, someone will likely buy it. Something about a fool and his money comes to mind...

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks Gee. I was contemplating posting something about these bottles being displayed on their sides. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm. <_<

Biba! Joe

Ha ha - great minds really DO think alike, no?   :lol:

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.