What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

While we have some advantages with our liquor store ownership laws, you certainly have the price advantage in Texas. 

Help me out with the geography here, if you hop over the bridge and venture into Ark. does that present better, the same or worse shopping/pricing experiences in regards to liquor?

Help me out with the geography here, if you hop over the bridge and venture into Ark. does that present better, the same or worse shopping/pricing experiences in regards to liquor?

Well, Arkansas would be a little more than a hop for me since I live a good bit east of Memphis, but one of these days I need to go check things out. Also, the potential problem with eastern Arkansas just over the bridge is that there aren't any large towns, so there aren't many liquor stores.

Pricing in Tennessee is generally fair most of the time, but you do not see the bargain prices that are available in states that have large chains or Costco sale opportunities. I'm actually closer to Mississippi (which I believe is a semi-control state) and travel more frequently in that direction so I do shop there on occasion and have found some better prices from time to time. Of course it's hard to get LE stuff when you aren't a regular customer and can build a relationship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, GeeTen said:

Passed on all PVW/BTAC in New Jersey yesterday.  $3200 for PVW23 with similar Secondary pricing for all the others!  OFBB @ $349, HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 at $145 (all before taxes) - I think NOT!!!!!!   :wacko:

Aside from Handy for $400 I didn't even see any BTAC this year, not that I'm at a buyer at that price for any of them. 

11 hours ago, scratchline said:

Passed on a Parker's Heritage 11 at 140 today.  Was sorely tempted and sat in the car for a few minutes considering it.  But for an 11 year, 122 proof whiskey it just seems like too much.  Particularly considering that I still see ECBP for half of that and have plenty of it bunkered.  And Xmas gift spending is upon us...that said, I may be back there tomorrow to see if it's still on the shelf!

-Mike

That is a really great price, admittedly I would have bit at that price (I paid $175 in NJ) was that in NYC or outside of the city?

17 hours ago, Gorzo said:

Black Prince is in the case at MSRP and no takers. That speaks volumes in our market.

Even better still...  :)

IMAG2766.jpg

Passed I thought about it great deal but I don't want to deal with luggage, next time I'm traveling I'll come prepared.

8c965a2a98cf7bbedcd14cf219713f24.jpg

Whiskey of the year as well from the Advocate... that’s a great price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kane said:

After all the difficulty finding a HW Midwinter's, I am standing in front of a shelf with 9 bottles at $90.

I know the feeling, I could say the same about MWND and plenty of other Whiskeys, the trick is the more you shop around the more you realize what stores get what bottles and ideally what they charge.

3 hours ago, Kane said:

After all the difficulty finding a HW Midwinter's, I am standing in front of a shelf with 9 bottles at $90.

But... how many were on the shelf when you left?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

Just passed on a bottle of GTS for $400. Bad thing is I'm sure it'll be gone before too long. 

I saw a bottle for $599.99. I was told on Sunday that another LS nearby is selling it for $900 lol. 

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I saw a bottle for $599.99. I was told on Sunday that another LS nearby is selling it for $900 lol. 

That bottle for $600 was sold a couple days later when I went into the shop btw.

1 minute ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

That bottle for $600 was sold a couple days later when I went into the shop btw.

Madness. Pure madness. 

We were looking at secondary prices for kicks, and the one auction type site we found said their average sale price for Stagg was like $730 or so. :wacko:

15 hours ago, jshleffar said:

But... how many were on the shelf when you left?

Left it all behind. I have one and will save up for BTAC should I win a raffle. I am also surprised that nobody messaged me for a pointer yet!

Passed on Kentucky Owl for $400.  They had some other harder to find stuff "behind the counter" including the first bottle of W12 I've seen in a store in KY all year.  After the price he told me on the KO I didn't even bother asking.  Actually passed on a bunch of other stuff today but I'm too lazy to list it all.

Officially passed on the invite to pick barrels in Feb. 

Officially passed on the EC18

Came to my senses and will pass on the $140/btl GBSB. 

On 11/28/2017 at 3:40 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

Passed on Kentucky Owl for $400.  They had some other harder to find stuff "behind the counter" including the first bottle of W12 I've seen in a store in KY all year.  After the price he told me on the KO I didn't even bother asking.  Actually passed on a bunch of other stuff today but I'm too lazy to list it all.

Wow.  When I went to Maryland I saw a decent amount of the Kentucky Owl sitting around for $150 or less.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:15 PM, scratchline said:

Passed on a Parker's Heritage 11 at 140 today.  Was sorely tempted and sat in the car for a few minutes considering it.  But for an 11 year, 122 proof whiskey it just seems like too much.  Particularly considering that I still see ECBP for half of that and have plenty of it bunkered.  And Xmas gift spending is upon us...that said, I may be back there tomorrow to see if it's still on the shelf!

-Mike

This was my scenario also, I passed sat in my car for at leat 5 min, except I caved and paid 5 dollars more.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:40 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Wow.  When I went to Maryland I saw a decent amount of the Kentucky Owl sitting around for $150 or less.

Well it was at this one store who tends to think too highly of the limited releases so when they get one they jack the price waaaaaay up.  To be honest, I really don't know why I even stop by there anymore.

EWSB 2006 at a grocery store. It’s 9 days short of being 9 years old, and it was bottled on my 25th birthday. The birthday bit alone made me triple think it, but I didn’t want to spend the $34. Had it been $28 like when It first hit shelves, I likely would’ve pulled the trigger. I did move it behind the 2009’s in case I change my mind. 

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

EWSB 2006 at a grocery store. It’s 9 days short of being 9 years old, and it was bottled on my 25th birthday. The birthday bit alone made me triple think it, but I didn’t want to spend the $34. Had it been $28 like when It first hit shelves, I likely would’ve pulled the trigger. I did move it behind the 2009’s in case I change my mind. 

Young man, you get right back in that car and drive back to that store and get that bottle, and I don't want to hear any sass from you.  Now you can go back and get it and feel a little less guilty. :)

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Young man, you get right back in that car and drive back to that store and get that bottle, and I don't want to hear any sass from you.  Now you can go back and get it and feel a little less guilty. :)

Hey, sometimes all we need is a kick in the butt and some direction from a fellow SBer! 

Looking back at my post I meant it was barreled on my 25 birthday. Oops...

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.