What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on several things including LEs today.....

Parker's Heritage #11 for $200

Stagg Jr $100

AECS $200

GTS $500

They also had a Pappy 23yr, but I didn't even bother asking the price.

I really want to find a GTS, but can't go for it at that price.

• I like it 1

Just now, silverc said:

Passed on several things including LEs today.....

Parker's Heritage #11 for $200

Stagg Jr $100

AECS $200

GTS $500

They also had a Pappy 23yr, but I didn't even bother asking the price.

I really want to find a GTS, but can't go for it at that price.

I saw a GTS at a store near me for $600 (@Bnrhodes3 posted about it) and I went in to see it in person (I wasn't going to buy it, but wanted to try to talk him down a lot) and someone had bought it! I tried to talk him down from his $500 price tag on THH , but he just laughed at me... I guess that's fair for him to do - unfortunately people are buying bottles at these outrageous prices and it's the reason the prices can get so high.

It's really unfortunate this is happening, but there are still decent LS owners out there selling them at retail (or close to it).

I'm glad I didn't even want to buy that GTS at that insane price because just today (after I had given up on finding any BTAC this year) my very own GTS fell into my lap (this is my first time getting a BTAC bottle)!

Keep your head up and keep looking, you just might find one even when you don't expect it.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

I passed on 2017 OFBB for the bargain basement price of $300, at 2 different stores.

Your restraint is impressive as hell.  :)

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Blade and Bow today for $42.50.  I actually had the opportunity to pick up a variety of bottles today for 15% off but told my wife I would take a pass. :blink:  I let her pick up some wine, rum and pre-mixed Egg Nog.  Nothing piqued my interest and I would rather spend my bourbon $ on a few other items.  For example, one of the larger chains in Indy will have a 15% off sale next weekend.  They carry a complete lineup of FR PS SiB, which will be $47.50 on sale.  I also plan to seek out a few more ECBPs.

That 4R PS is hard to beat.  That's why I'm a big fan of when we visit the in-laws.

• I like it 2

Is *anybody* actually still buying the Boss Hog? I mean, it was already ridiculously priced with its first iteration, but they don't seem to get tired of pushing this BS further.

Passed on all PVW/BTAC in New Jersey yesterday.  $3200 for PVW23 with similar Secondary pricing for all the others!  OFBB @ $349, HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 at $145 (all before taxes) - I think NOT!!!!!!   :wacko:

I passed on ECBP for $80 and GTS for $700. I had to think about the ECBP, but laughed at the GTS. Even the LS owner thought the price was a joke.

43 minutes ago, Daveheelga said:

I passed on ECBP for $80 and GTS for $700. I had to think about the ECBP, but laughed at the GTS. Even the LS owner thought the price was a joke.

Didn't the owner have something to do with the pricing?  

Just now, Gorzo said:

Didn't the owner have something to do with the pricing?  

The owner told me that the rep who delivered the bottle set the price at $700. They initially though he was joking.

17 hours ago, 0895 said:

While out chasing BCS today, I didn't buy any of these:

IMAG2780.jpg

IMAG2777.jpg

IMAG2779.jpg

Black Prince is in the case at MSRP and no takers. That speaks volumes in our market.

1 minute ago, Daveheelga said:

The owner told me that the rep who delivered the bottle set the price at $700. They initially though he was joking.

Gotcha, think the owner just may not of wanted to look like an ass. 

Edited by Gorzo
  • I like it 1

Just now, Daveheelga said:

Mu guy says the rep tries to tell him what to sell RHF etc for...$145 via email. Screw the reps. They have way too much control

• I like it 1

Just passed on the Woodford Reserve Cherry Wood Smoked Barley for $75. This seems to have some positive reviews unlike the previous Master's Collections. Also even though I don't buy it I like the standard WR and have the DO barrel select on my short list which is in the $20 range of this.

Maybe I've reached bourbon zen.

Just passed on the Woodford Reserve Cherry Wood Smoked Barley for $75. This seems to have some positive reviews unlike the previous Master's Collections. Also even though I don't buy it I like the standard WR and have the DO barrel select on my short list which is in the $20 range of this.

Maybe I've reached bourbon zen.

I'd be a buyer at that price. Unfortunately, the distributor in west Tennessee has apparently decided to participate in premium pricing on some items, so the cost on this to stores in my area is almost the distillery suggested retail of $99. So, it's likely to sit on shelves at the price of $129 that I've seen it at in several stores, which is normal markup for most stores. Heck, even last year's Brandy cask finish sat on shelves for quite a while at $99.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be a buyer at that price. Unfortunately, the distributor in west Tennessee has apparently decided to participate in premium pricing on some items, so the cost on this to stores in my area is almost the distillery suggested retail of $99. So, it's likely to sit on shelves at the price of $129 that I've seen it at in several stores, which is normal markup for most stores. Heck, even last year's Brandy cask finish sat on shelves for quite a while at $99.

They appeared to have plenty. Also as stores are closed Sunday it should still be around after work Monday. I'll likely pass there's some interesting store picks that will be available in the next couple weeks. Additionally I think I'd rather pick up the WT decades for not much more.

They appeared to have plenty. Also as stores are closed Sunday it should still be around after work Monday. I'll likely pass there's some interesting store picks that will be available in the next couple weeks. Additionally I think I'd rather pick up the WT decades for not much more.

While we have some advantages with our liquor store ownership laws, you certainly have the price advantage in Texas. The cheapest I've seen WT Decades is $139, but most stores have it at $149.

Passed on a Parker's Heritage 11 at 140 today.  Was sorely tempted and sat in the car for a few minutes considering it.  But for an 11 year, 122 proof whiskey it just seems like too much.  Particularly considering that I still see ECBP for half of that and have plenty of it bunkered.  And Xmas gift spending is upon us...that said, I may be back there tomorrow to see if it's still on the shelf!

-Mike

Edited by scratchline

34 minutes ago, scratchline said:

...that said, I may be back there tomorrow to see if it's still on the shelf!

-Mike

Heehee!  Mike, the Force is strong.  Don't go back unless you plan on caving to it, and buying!  :lol:  

I went through a bunch of stores today, and no decent prices at any. 

Two different stores had OFBB at $400.

Stagg Jr - $100

ORVW - $500

Blantons - $130

OWA - $70

I came across Stagg in one store as well. They have a raffle set up where you get 1 entry for every  $50 you spend. If you are picked, you get it for $0.01. I passed on that for the time being too - the only remotely interesting thing I wanted to try from them was a WR MC Brandy Cask for $99.

20171125_192245.jpg

20171125_192311.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.