What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

When and where Steve???!!! Vosgar, Galvin 0791 and I were in the motherland too. BT on Friday. :o We also stopped at a few places on the way home. ^_^

Biba! Joe

1-Blanton's

2-HH6 BIB

1-Binnys ps Eagle Rare

1-Flat Boat-a Barton/1792 bourbon bottled for Liquor Barn

2-Early Times BIB

1-4RSiB, like Steve, because of the price. On sale for $29.99

apr.jpeg

Nice! A lot of overlap in our purchases there.

We were at the Omni in downtown Louisville. I got in Wednesday night. We went to BT on Thursday and Beam on Friday morning followed by Peerless on Friday afternoon.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

When and where Steve???!!! Vosgar, Galvin 0791 and I were in the motherland too. BT on Friday. :o We also stopped at a few places on the way home. ^_^

Biba! Joe

1-Blanton's

2-HH6 BIB

1-Binnys ps Eagle Rare

1-Flat Boat-a Barton/1792 bourbon bottled for Liquor Barn

2-Early Times BIB

1-4RSiB, like Steve, because of the price. On sale for $29.99

apr.jpeg

Nice! I did not see Blantons anywhere. Would like to hear your thoughts on Flatboat. You will love the Early Times.

Edited by cdcdguy

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some help from you. I'm planning on going to the Sacramento, elk Grove area in California next weekend. Does anyone have any tips for some liquor stores with good bourbon selections? I'm hoping to pick up some stuff we don't have here in Canada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Been on more of a rye kick lately but had stayed away from the stores to curb my spending habits.  Friday I decided to stop by my Kroger W & S, just to see what they had, and the managers pick was BH Dark Rye for  $32.  Picked up one for myself and one for a friend.  Called my son and he came over and picked up a bottle.  I also grabbed a JB Distiller's Select for $21.  My son was in Louisville last night and picked up a KC Rye Single Barrel Select from TW.  He told me it was really good so I had him pick me up a bottle.  I think I need to stop at 89 bottles. . . who am I kidding, I'm not stopping.

48 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Been on more of a rye kick lately but had stayed away from the stores to curb my spending habits.  Friday I decided to stop by my Kroger W & S, just to see what they had, and the managers pick was BH Dark Rye for  $32.  Picked up one for myself and one for a friend.  Called my son and he came over and picked up a bottle.  I also grabbed a JB Distiller's Select for $21.  My son was in Louisville last night and picked up a KC Rye Single Barrel Select from TW.  He told me it was really good so I had him pick me up a bottle.  I think I need to stop at 89 bottles. . . who am I kidding, I'm not stopping.

I see the BH dark rye for $32 here, also the green label BH rye. Heard mixed reviews on both. Whats your take on the dark?

58 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I see the BH dark rye for $32 here, also the green label BH rye. Heard mixed reviews on both. Whats your take on the dark?

I tried the Dark Rye at a LS tasting bar and was not a fan. It's not aged in port barrels..it actually has port mixed in along with Canadian "rye". To be fair it was up against some crazy good bourbons (JPS18 and Al Young) so it really didn't have a chance.

• I like it 1

I tried the Dark Rye at a LS tasting bar and was not a fan. It's not aged in port barrels..it actually has port mixed in along with Canadian "rye". To be fair it was up against some crazy good bourbons (JPS18 and Al Young) so it really didn't have a chance.

I have a bottle of BH Dark Rye and I like it. However, it's very different from the typical rye (if there is such a thing), so it's not going to be liked by everyone. The small amount of Port that has been added is certainly noticeable, and it changes the overall taste profile quite a bit. It's an easy drinker like regular BH, but if you don't like Port wine, you probably won't like this. If you're looking for something different though, you might want to give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, reeko said:

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some help from you. I'm planning on going to the Sacramento, elk Grove area in California next weekend. Does anyone have any tips for some liquor stores with good bourbon selections? I'm hoping to pick up some stuff we don't have here in Canada.

There's three Bevmo stores in Sacramento and one in Elk Grove.  They usually have a pretty good selection.  No unicorns on the shelf but solid stuff in stock.  Also, Total Wine has stores in the area too. 

Fred

EFA66573-86DA-4582-BFF0-0A0E52931153.thumb.jpeg.45d884f6592b9aafb888e1eeffd0db9f.jpeg

Those two were waiting for me at work. Not complaining.

Will.

• I like it 5

There's three Bevmo stores in Sacramento and one in Elk Grove.  They usually have a pretty good selection.  No unicorns on the shelf but solid stuff in stock.  Also, Total Wine has stores in the area too. 
Fred
Great! Thanks for the recommendations Fred. If you can only go to one store which would it be? Which bourbon would you consider unicorns.

20 minutes ago, reeko said:

Great! Thanks for the recommendations Fred. If you can only go to one store which would it be? Which bourbon would you consider unicorns.

I don't know the Sacramento area that well.  I'm in the Bay Area.  I would say go to the store(s) that's most convenient to get to.  If you don't see something you want, ask the clerk to check stock at nearby stores.  Bevmo and TW are both big box chains.  I tend to like the selection of bourbon at Bevmo better (they have a store pick program) but it varies by time and location.  Things like ECBP, Stagg Jr. Kentucky Owl and Weller come and go quickly but you may luck out.  I have from time to time.  My local Bevmo has some ECBP currently on the shelf. :o  LE's like BTAC, Pappy, etc. - unicorns...

On 4/7/2018 at 10:35 PM, Vosgar said:

I was there yesterday with a couple other SB'ers and after tasting their whiskies, I couldn't pull the trigger. Their best product, relatively speaking, is sourced from MGP. I'm sorry, but for me the spirit has to be decent, especially at the prices they're asking, to get my hard earned $$.

On the other hand, we were able to wander the grounds of the old distillery, which was fascinating. Almost, but not quite enough, to make me go back and buy an overpriced bottle.

Very curious about the OC5, their own distillate possibly derived from a legacy OC yeast. Maybe in the distillery visits thread you could give some details?

Picked up another RR warehouse B. The local LS is down to the last case of their sensational SP and even though the bunker is quite solid with this, greed is overriding my best judgment.

Can't wait till 2025 to pull out the last one and see if it's as good as the first. :D

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Picked up another RR warehouse B. The local LS is down to the last case of their sensational SP and even though the bunker is quite solid with this, greed is overriding my best judgment.

Can't wait till 2025 to pull out the last one and see if it's as good as the first. :D

I’ll be finishing the last of that sample. It is a fantastic bourbon. 

SC has 18 scheduled barrels to come in ‘18. Hope a few are B. 

This will be my first pour in 8 days. And no, it is not VBT 609. 

Edited by Mako254

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

This will be my first pour in 8 days. And no, it is not VBT 609. 

Oh shucks!

Can't wait till 2025 to pull out the last one and see if it's as good as the first. [emoji3]

We all know that Joe is our Weller Whore here on SB, but we don’t have a Russell’s Whore...or do we? [emoji6][emoji23][emoji106]

Cheers My Friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

29 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

We all know that Joe is our Weller Whore here on SB, but we don’t have a Russell’s Whore...or do we? emoji6.pngemoji23.pngemoji106.png

Cheers My Friend!

Where do I sign up?

• I like it 4

Nothing fancy here.  Sam's has Four Roses single barrel for $30.  I had to take a couple home.  

They also had Buffalo Trace for $20 even when the other stores have it at $26 and are usually out of stock.

• I like it 3

I thought I was past buying booze just because I saw a deal, but WTKS at $34.99 proved that I'm not. 

• I like it 5

There are a bunch of old threads on this kind of thing, so I thought a new one was unnecessary and I would just ask here: which store(s) in Louisville is most likely to have Heaven Hill 6 BiB and/or Old Fitzgerald BiB? I will be in downtown Louisville for the day so I don't have too much extra time, but should be able to hit one or two stores for these two BiB bourbons I can't get here at home. Thank you in advance for any info.

2 hours ago, Jazz June said:

There are a bunch of old threads on this kind of thing, so I thought a new one was unnecessary and I would just ask here: which store(s) in Louisville is most likely to have Heaven Hill 6 BiB and/or Old Fitzgerald BiB? I will be in downtown Louisville for the day so I don't have too much extra time, but should be able to hit one or two stores for these two BiB bourbons I can't get here at home. Thank you in advance for any info.

Most Liquoir barns will have HH 6 BIB. I did not see Old Fitz BIB anywhere in Louisville on my trip there 2 weeks ago.

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

We all know that Joe is our Weller Whore here on SB, but we don’t have a Russell’s Whore...or do we? emoji6.pngemoji23.pngemoji106.png

Cheers My Friend!

Given the sheer number of RRSiB bottles I have in the bunker from Bourbon Crusaders picks, I just might be that guy.

Given the sheer number of RRSiB bottles I have in the bunker from Bourbon Crusaders picks, I just might be that guy.

Sounds like we may have several guys that could be that guy, but..."There can be only one!" [emoji6]

• I like it 1

I finally broke down and got a JB Distillers Cut for $21.  Also went back to a LS that had HMcK10 that was a honey barrel a month+ ago.  Still had he same barrel available, and still on sale for $26.  Bought 2 with a stack of cases left.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Sounds like we may have several guys that could be that guy, but..."There can be only one!" emoji6.png

Looks like we are gonna need to see some visual evidence from the applicants!  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.