What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started the holiday big with CEHT SiB, definitely one of my favorites. Moved to a pair of 107s next with Weller and Bakers. Will save some specials for the grille, pool, and cigars on the 4th. HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY!!! Let freedom ring.

• I like it 1

Joseph Magnus batch 4. I've had this open for probably 9 months. It was good when first opened and has oxidized nicely since them to be even better. This stuff is quite pricey, at about $85 or so in VA, but I am considering getting another bottle since its tasting quite nice now. I'd love to get a cigar blend Magnus, but have basically given up on finding one of those at retail around me.

Finished off a Jefferson's Reserve PS (a work raffle drawing "win") and now moving on to some Barrell Bourbon Batch 14. Much better although the JR did grow on me a bit.

Independence Eve so I busted out a Bourbon Crusaders RRSiB - a short barrel that we called Double Bubble. 

Then my wife decided she wanted cocktails so I made her a Kentucky Mule with some OFSiB and a Negroni for me since we ran out of ginger beer.

But, I wasn't done and followed with a Boulevardier that I made with the Willett 2yr old rye. It's OK neat but WOW does it shine in a Boulevardier. 

Wild Turkey 101. I had tried so many things over the last year and a half, somehow I never got around to sitting down, pondering, and enjoying this old standard. For $18.75 a bottle, this is very tough to beat. 

• I like it 3

Huh, I'm stuck with work on a holiday, but now nobody can stop me from enjoying some RR SiB on the job in broad daylight.

Celebrating this fine Independence Day with an older WTKS.  Amazing smoky caramel bomb with a finish that . . . . doesn't (at least not yet!)  The color on this thing is just as impressive - not sure the picture does it justice.

IMG_20180704_162953__01.thumb.jpg.784e3a80961903e044b702d3cdde0c35.jpg

• I like it 6

Starting the afternoon off with some ER 10y.  I know everyone has their own opinion but, you can’t  get much more American than ER

• I like it 3

35 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Starting the afternoon off with some ER 10y.  I know everyone has their own opinion but, you can’t  get much more American than ER

You're not wrong. I'm currently having some WTRB. I may swing to that bird after this one. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

- not sure the picture does it justice.

Looks pretty good on my screen!  :)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

The color on this thing is just as impressive - not sure the picture does it justice.

Damn Gary, that's some dark Turkey!

• I like it 1

It's a hot, HOT 4th of July here in mid-MO and I'm soaking up some A/C and enjoying some Bowman Bros. over a large chunk of ice.

WP_20180704_014.jpg

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

Celebrating this fine Independence Day with an older WTKS.  Amazing smoky caramel bomb with a finish that . . . . doesn't (at least not yet!)  The color on this thing is just as impressive - not sure the picture does it justice.

That, my boy is a fine looking pour of turkey!      I'm envious. 

Not pouring anything myself since our air conditioner took a dump.    Really wouldn't help cool me off in this 85-degree house.

But, when the new unit gets installed, I'll celebrate for certain.    Please, Lord: let it be sooner than later!

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

That, my boy is a fine looking pour of turkey!      I'm envious. 

Not pouring anything myself since our air conditioner took a dump.    Really wouldn't help cool me off in this 85-degree house.

But, when the new unit gets installed, I'll celebrate for certain.    Please, Lord: let it be sooner than later!

Oh, boy, Howdy.  THAT is tough.  A bag of 7-11 ice with a 750 of, say, EWB over it, might help.

JB BIB neat while I did baby backs followed during dinner by a local cocktail called a Beam on the Beach - JB (whatever expression), Cointreau, lemonade, Sprite, ice.  Suck two of those down, and you won't care about the heat.

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Oh, boy, Howdy.  THAT is tough.  A bag of 7-11 ice with a 750 of, say, EWB over it, might help.

JB BIB neat while I did baby backs followed during dinner by a local cocktail called a Beam on the Beach - JB (whatever expression), Cointreau, lemonade, Sprite, ice.  Suck two of those down, and you won't care about the heat.

Words of wisdom right here. Thanks for the recipe Harry!

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Words of wisdom right here. Thanks for the recipe Harry!

The local restaurant chain is "Clyde's".  One of the chain's originators (now deceased) went to Georgetown U. in the late 50s-early 60s.  One of the foulest mouths I've ever had the pleasure of hearing, and I was in the Army.  But, that's another story.  Anyway, drinking age for beer back then was 18, and he didn't like the bars that catered to that crowd.  So, he opened his own.  As we aged, so did he, and his restaurants aged with us.

I've talked our local Clyde's into carrying a larger selection of bourbons and ryes than they used to.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Damn Gary, that's some dark Turkey!

I saw the post but hadn't noticed the color, wow!  When it comes to turkey, some people like dark meat, Gary likes dark juice! 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

Gary, I saw your post but missed the rich color until Vosgar pointed it out.  Wow!  I am a big fan of WTKS.  Share more details...distilled or bottling date?  You don't see much this rich looking anymore.  BTW, did you just have a manicure?

• I like it 1

I opted for FRSB to celebrate America's 242 birthday!  No special reason for the selection to celebrate this special occasion.  

Thank you to those who sacrificed to make this country and day possible from the beginning to today!

Enjoying some 4R barrel strength obsv and oesk to celebrate the start of my vacation, and 4th of July for my family and friends in the states q=O)

• I like it 1

Have not seen this posted in a while. Very tasty, oaky, vanilla, cinnamon. Really nice dark amber for something under 100 proof. Very drinkable. Only have the one bottle, bought back in UT. Oh yeah, love the bottle!

QFMJ5Nc.jpg

• I like it 1

One last pour before I come to terms with the stark reality that it is in fact a work night...

y4m8evoGke4T1BNxtBEJcepnChewRfB_pSyAtnWw

Well after reality set in I decided a small pour of Willett 4 year Rye was needed to take the edge off before I hit the hay. 

Edited by kevinbrink
Additional detail was required.
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

One last pour before I come to terms with the stark reality that it is in fact a work night...

y4m8evoGke4T1BNxtBEJcepnChewRfB_pSyAtnWw

Well after reality set in I decided a small pour of Willett 4 year Rye was needed to take the edge off before I hit the hay. 

I am sipping on the same thing here and it is fantastic. My bottle is also suspiciously close to the same level, so much so that i had better go check my bottle to see if you’re drinking mine.

It’s 12:15 here and people are still doing fireworks non-stop. I may need another pour to get to sleep

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.