What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

A potent one before dinner.

IMG_20180630_224120.jpg

That color is awesome. 

4 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

That color is awesome. 

Beat me to it. ????

it looks like Cola

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Really hot day, and I started yard work early.  Am squeeky clean now.  Before going back out to grill a salmon filet and some veggies, I'm relaxing with some Cabin Still from my seemingly bottomless handle.  Maybe it'd go quicker if I stopped pouring it into a tumbler filled with ice.  But on a hot day  . . .  (Bernheim in the freezer as I like wheateds on hot days of Summer but the Cabin Still called to me today for some reason.)

I have to say Cabin Still, is the best cheap bourbon ever. No funky anything here. Light sure, but great light real bourbon. Love to sip neat on a hot  patio. I can't believe how good an ultra cheap can be.

Edited by cdcdguy

Some B517 that started out a little too bitter and oaky. I’m not a quitter though and it paid off because the bottom half is just right. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

A potent one before dinner.

IMG_20180630_224120.jpg

Figured you amateurs wouldn't be able to tell by color alone what this is ;) So came back for the reveal: GTS 2014

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

Even though it was a cool and cloudy day, I still went with some 4RYL out of the freezer. I've been on a roll with it and am really liking it. Followed with a nip of Pikesville from a freshly opened bottle. Hadn't had it in a long while so I needed a taste. I've switched over to cocktails for the moment - a boulevardier made with Woodford Rye and now a straight up Negroni. Will come back to the ranch after that with a proper bourbon. Probably a Stagg Jr. and ER10 blend.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Figured you amateurs wouldn't be able to tell by color alone what this is ;) So came back for the reveal: GTS 2014

Just had some a few days ago, awesome shit!

• I like it 1

OGD BiB on the rocks.

Skip the rocks put it in the fridge, it’s fantastic.

Leading off with this
1610735299_WIN_20180630_230030(2).thumb.JPG.560df30efa7c01703147790374349d1f.JPG

Just killed half a bottle outside my father-in-law, while smoking some cigars. Can’t be beat at retail prices.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Just killed half a bottle outside my father-in-law, while smoking some cigars. Can’t be beat at retail prices.

That's a good son in law.

That's a good son in law.

Yeah he’s a Frenchie and I think it was W12 that opened him up to how good American bourbon can be.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah he’s a Frenchie and I think it was W12 that opened him up to how good American bourbon can be.

Well cool --  that makes sense, because I can't think of anything better to serve someone if you want to introduce them.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, MTNBourbon said:

Another little SBS with the Four Roses Small Batch (90 Proof), and some Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Yr. Old (90 Proof), this bottle has at least 3 years on it. The color, pretty damn close, ER slightly darker. The nose is also pretty damn close, lots of vanilla, cinnamon. The taste of both is very nice, vanilla, cinnamon, also pretty damn close. Like the packaging of ER10 better.

s6KieeJ.jpg

I find these practically polar opposites.  The 4R is complex, fruity and balanced, and I find the ER10 to be straight up oak and dark cherry vanilla. 

• I like it 1

Ok I did stay with Baker's for a couple pours, but I'm gonna finish the night with one of my favorites

WIN_20180701_002136.JPG

• I like it 2

Revisited some recipes I hadn't tried in a while - OESK and OESQ.  I find that I prefer the OB mashbill, so these don't get the love they deserve.  Both represent the yeast profiles well though!  I'm not sure what it is with FR, but I get cherry/chocolate covered cherry with more of their offerings than anyone else.  And I like it :) 

When the temp tops 90, the 110 proof Russells and Cask strength Four Roses gets traded for 86.6 EWSB and the glencairn for a yeti w/ a 2” cube.  Hard to beat for front porch sippin’. 

67BFA1D7-1399-433A-A9CF-94EB7E4CE02F.jpeg

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Kane said:

Epic stuff, hard to top this one. Enjoy and Cheers! 

Will.

24D5AA72-32AD-4AF6-B789-5E29D27A7B91.thumb.jpeg.21b8e30b319d892b84d1530ad3f62a69.jpeg

Opened this batch recently, so good, I had to bring it with me on vacation, cheers! 

Will.

Edited by Masset1982
  • I like it 1

4R LE 2017 and lotsa water today. Not the best fit for the 90F weather, but it's a good problem to have.

IMG_20180701_184514.jpg

Edited by Kane

I'm starting with some Stagg Jr over ice after working with the wife in the yard all day.

Stagg Jr is one of the very few bourbons (to me) that holds up till the last sip with ice in it.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.