What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Gary, I saw your post but missed the rich color until Vosgar pointed it out.  Wow!  I am a big fan of WTKS.  Share more details...distilled or bottling date?  You don't see much this rich looking anymore.  BTW, did you just have a manicure?

No manicure (although did clean under my nails after some gardening in the morning).  The label details on this WTKS are Bottled 6/3/2002,cbarrel 5, wharehouse A, rick 51.  It was a dark brown wooden top (which was destroyed upon opening; I rescued it in 2015).  

23 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Beam on the Beach - JB (whatever expression), Cointreau, lemonade, Sprite, ice. 

Sounds tasty, Harry!  What ingredient proportions do you use, if I may ask?

OK, not bourbon but bourbon adjacent, Blender's Mash for any who are not aware was the rename of the Crown Royal Bourbon Mash, this years noble collection is a 13 year old 90 proof version of that. A fool and their money... however in this case I'm happily surprised, for a sub $50 whiskey this is quite nice, a bit drier and substantially less sweet than I expected out of Crown Royal, it is so dark I have to imagine there is coloring in here, but aside from that this is up there with the Coffey Rye "Hand Selected" Barrels as my favorite Crown Expression to date. Sorry for the diversion from our regularly scheduled programming but I thought it might be of interest to some others here. 

y4mnjf6DAP7aYpCLttscWJ4dRCvSPRE9IM6jeunJ

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Swamp55 said:

Sounds tasty, Harry!  What ingredient proportions do you use, if I may ask?

Fill a standard Collins glass 3/4 full with ice cubes.  Add 2 oz. bourbon (I use JB BIB) and 1 oz. Cointreau (or a little less to reduce sweetness).  Fill the remaining space with equal parts lemonade and Sprite.  Stir.

My wife thinks using rye instead of bourbon adds a grassy note that clashes with the citrus.

By standard, I mean a tall, thin (diameter NMT 2.5") glass holding 8-11 oz.  Less spillage with the narrow glass around drink #3, but watch the ice hitting your face.

• I like it 1

OBSF 8 yrs 11 mos. 

80F7F87F-097D-4CC3-A2FB-464EA1EA2505.thumb.jpeg.7f42b7d55997bbd1f73f8f1e357473b3.jpeg

This is weird I just finished a OBSF Barrel, 8yrs 11 months, warehouse RN Barrel 38-1H.

Must be from the same batch put in the same warehouse, the same day, bought mine last Christmas. I liked it when I opened it, than didn’t like it. Than loved it towards the end. I’ve had some older V recipes since I opened this but it’s a really nice change.

Houston,

I got this one right at a year ago and wasn’t crazy about it at first. Have had a pour or two since then. Getting this thick ‘big league chew’ thing on the finish. Really digging it. 

Houston,

I got this one right at a year ago and wasn’t crazy about it at first. Have had a pour or two since then. Getting this thick ‘big league chew’ thing on the finish. Really digging it. 

Excellent description. I got mint, I’d say more like Wrigley’s Spearmint.

Dates are probably still right, it seems to take the TABC six months to approve a label for a PS.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Excellent description. I got mint, I’d say more like Wrigley’s Spearmint.

Dates are probably still right, it seems to take the TABC six months to approve a label for a PS.

My bottle came out of north georgia about this time last year fwiw. 

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Fill a standard Collins glass 3/4 full with ice cubes.  Add 2 oz. bourbon (I use JB BIB) and 1 oz. Cointreau (or a little less to reduce sweetness).  Fill the remaining space with equal parts lemonade and Sprite.  Stir.

My wife thinks using rye instead of bourbon adds a grassy note that clashes with the citrus.

By standard, I mean a tall, thin (diameter NMT 2.5") glass holding 8-11 oz.  Less spillage with the narrow glass around drink #3, but watch the ice hitting your face.

Thanks, Harry -- sounds like a winner!  The wife and I will definitely give this a try.  Should be an excellent tipple for a Florida summer weekend.

A freshly opened 4RPS OBSF HW 11yr/2mo 115.8p. WOW!! this is everything I love in the OBSF recipe. I have yet to have one I don't like, most I love and this one is right there with the very best I've had. To my taste OBSF reminds me of the Heath bar candy bars, buttery toffee, chocolate... this one is sensational, I tend to only pick up the mint notes in the OESF version and this one is no exception. I got it  with no side label a year or 2 back and emailed 4R for the details which they kindly provided. I rolled the dice on it in a store that doesn't typically have PS bottles and of course there was no tasting but it had the foil paper necktag so I knew it was  a JR era selection. I will enjoy every pour of this one, just what one looks for in a single barrel.

I don’t know why, but I somehow feel I deserved a pour from this bottle today.  It’s a special occasion pour for me typically, but since I personally did nothing of significance this week, perhaps I’m just celebrating Friday...  :D

997AAC6D-EDB6-4CDA-A2A6-27CBBA022D52.jpeg

• I like it 7

27 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t know why, but I somehow feel I deserved a pour from this bottle today.  It’s a special occasion pour for me typically, but since I personally did nothing of significance this week, perhaps I’m just celebrating Friday...  :D

What other reason do you need? :D

a little late on BOTM so catching up with JB Distillers cut. I'm a Beam fan and this is good so far. Halfway between a Beam and a Baker's. Cheers!

Screenshot_20180706-224135_Photos.jpg

• I like it 3

34 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sometimes the pour IS the special occasion...

• I like it 1

Enjoying some JB Distillers Cut this Friday (and trying not to drool into it after seeing what SmokinJoe is sipping!) This bourbon has yet to disappoint, just solid on every front.

• I like it 1

There’s a lot going on here so lemme explain. I took my own advice from what I gave Joe ... ‘sometimes the pour IS the special occasion’ and dipped into my all time favorite FRLESmB 2015. Spicy, oaky but tons of vanilla and caramel. Finish for days. I also think I have too many open bottles but WTF I love the WTRB 116 and decided to break the seal on the next bottle. Also very spicy but very different than the FR.  Much drier on the front palate. I guess I’m in a Lawrenceburg state of mind?

29130799-ED86-4C2E-8155-F9A8BF17179D.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Charlutz said:

There’s a lot going on here so lemme explain. I took my own advice from what I gave Joe ... ‘sometimes the pour IS the special occasion’ and dipped into my all time favorite FRLESmB 2015. Spicy, oaky but tons of vanilla and caramel. Finish for days. I also think I have too many open bottles but WTF I love the WTRB 116 and decided to break the seal on the next bottle. Also very spicy but very different than the FR.  Much drier on the front palate. I guess I’m in a Lawrenceburg state of mind?

29130799-ED86-4C2E-8155-F9A8BF17179D.jpeg

That's a great way to end the week of the 4th. 

• I like it 2

OK, not bourbon but bourbon adjacent, Blender's Mash for any who are not aware was the rename of the Crown Royal Bourbon Mash, this years noble collection is a 13 year old 90 proof version of that. A fool and their money... however in this case I'm happily surprised, for a sub $50 whiskey this is quite nice, a bit drier and substantially less sweet than I expected out of Crown Royal, it is so dark I have to imagine there is coloring in here, but aside from that this is up there with the Coffey Rye "Hand Selected" Barrels as my favorite Crown Expression to date. Sorry for the diversion from our regularly scheduled programming but I thought it might be of interest to some others here. 
y4mnjf6DAP7aYpCLttscWJ4dRCvSPRE9IM6jeunJv4jB9r2MFk3A_SUOQpCZX3Gkdj_u0UG73Yhrvw4sXxCyW26egUcJ0a_WrGqVUxfZ0zjaxL-T6fQhozSN301Maqk22hPzGgQF4HQyXfNwzWAzLrLCexfZZxo8NYiyvfDQuqgsLp01bacPoXbIGFIMiUnj3nNwNcnFwIBJCoEjgm--6Hsnw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

I'm jealous! I've heard of a really good barrel proof iteration of crown royal, but it's only sold in the states... why?!!
  • I like it 1

The week is over and I have an extra long weekend! So excited! I'm enjoying this barrel proofers, but it might be a little too hot for this scorching day.

Staying at the Cheshire in StL.  Nothing wild and crazy at the bar, but the MMCS tastes good after a long drive...

RRSiB after a weird day of sleeping until 10pm following a late night shift the day before. Cooking dinner and sipping bourbon, but essentially this RR is the first thing to hit my stomach today. So that checks the try bourbon for breakfast box.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.