What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Did a quick 36 hour trip to KY over the weekend and picked up some private pick's from Cork N Bottle along with a 14YR OFBIB, couple of the 16yr WHH, some 4yr WFE ryes, an ECBP, couple Birthday Bourbons, and a case of HH6 just to round it out...

KY Weekend.jpg

Is that 14 year Old Fitz a gift shop bottle? How was the pricing on it, seems like the two wide release LE's so far are basically running $10 a year, $110 for the 11 year is what I paid and I've seen the MSRP on the 9 year at $89. Seems like a strategy they learned from their neighbors, but having not been to Willett in a good while I'm guessing they aren't doing $10 a year anymore ;) 

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

Is that 14 year Old Fitz a gift shop bottle? How was the pricing on it, seems like the two wide release LE's so far are basically running $10 a year, $110 for the 11 year is what I paid and I've seen the MSRP on the 9 year at $89. Seems like a strategy they learned from their neighbors, but having not been to Willett in a good while I'm guessing they aren't doing $10 a year anymore ;) 

The 14yr was ~$185 out the door

• I like it 1

Just now, ThirstyinOhio said:

The 14yr was ~$185 out the door

certainly could have been worse, thanks

• I like it 1

Did a quick 36 hour trip to KY over the weekend and picked up some private pick's from Cork N Bottle along with a 14YR OFBIB, couple of the 16yr WHH, some 4yr WFE ryes, an ECBP, couple Birthday Bourbons, and a case of HH6 just to round it out...

1931204157_KYWeekend.jpg.8d650c97c0b3b4448b1177b0ce4f85ed.jpg

Nice haul! [emoji106][emoji2]
  • I like it 1

1931204157_KYWeekend.jpg.8d650c97c0b3b4448b1177b0ce4f85ed.jpg

I think can change your name now.
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

KY Weekend.jpg

I would be very proud of that haul.  Congrats!

6 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

KY Weekend.jpg

That is a very nice trip to the Bluegrass State sir! Nicely done.

Managed to have a good day on the hunt and a bad day for the wallet. Scored a NH state barrel pick of KCSB and WSR. That was preceded by landing a bottle of Russell's Reserve 2002. Was far more than I wanted to spend today on a bottle, but after missing out on 1998 and getting to taste what I had missed; I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, elmossle said:

Managed to have a good day on the hunt and a bad day for the wallet. Scored a NH state barrel pick of KCSB and WSR. That was preceded by landing a bottle of Russell's Reserve 2002. Was far more than I wanted to spend today on a bottle, but after missing out on 1998 and getting to taste what I had missed; I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

Nice score on the RR2002....

How did you find all that as a visitor?  The Birthday Bourbon especially as that was line at gift shop 9 hours wait time for a bottle.. You have a connect I assume ????

Went to purchase the CEHT SiB and Jefferson’s Twin Oak and wound up buying the SABL and Oceans Wheated also.   So far I’ve only opened the SABL and was disappointed.  Plan on opening the two Jefferson’s this weekend.  I always like the CHET so will save it until current Bottle is empty.  

788B556A-3570-4D7C-8219-0BA89A998AA1.jpeg

• I like it 3

Went a little crazy and picked a couple of EHTBP. I was on a list for the first purchase and they charged $100. I would’ve passed if I hadn’t broken open last years EHTBP and absolutely loved it. I ran across another one at $80 and I couldn’t resist. I figured I can always gift one since I have a lot of weddings coming up. Cheers!

image.jpg

• I like it 4

On 9/2/2018 at 3:22 AM, graftonbc1 said:

Picked up a Makers Mark Private Select when passing through NH on our way home from Maine yesterday. Interesting addition. 

B40A82FB-D7A2-4B04-B57A-262A0F405B17.jpeg

@graftonbc1I see that you have a bottle of Virginia Distillery Company's malt there in the left hand corner. From the label, that looks like the Chardonnay finish? I've consulted with them and have done some blends for them over the past couple of years. Don't know what you think about that particular bottling, but have you tried the Cider cask finish or the Brewer's batch? Would love to hear your thoughts on their malt. 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

15 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@graftonbc1I see that you have a bottle of Virginia Distillery Company's malt there in the left hand corner. From the label, that looks like the Chardonnay finish? I've consulted with them and have done some blends for them over the past couple of years. Don't know what you think about that particular bottling, but have you tried the Cider cask finish or the Brewer's batch? Would love to hear your thoughts on their malt. 

Good eye. You are correct. That is the Chardonnay finish from Virginia Distillery. I visited there in August while I was on vacation. My wife and I stayed in an Air BnB that is right next door, owned by their sales manager. Great place to stay if you are in the area.

Anyway, I like the expression a great deal. It carries the big malt flavor, then gets tempered as some fruitiness works in. The finish varies. Sometimes sweet and other times it brings a nice cereal finish. It is an excellent whisky. If you ever get to Webster, MA, stop by for a pour.

I love the malt and have four bottles of it in my bunker. It is one of the few drams I will drink outside of bourbon. The nose, palate, and finish are rich and filling. I particularly like it after a grilled steak. Usually, I get tons of dark fruit and hazelnuts from it, but sometimes a milk chocolate as well. A great pour to sip and ponder.

I have the Cider cask in my cabinet and I love that as well. I did not get a chance to try the Brewer's batch as that comes out a little later this month.

Ray

Edited by graftonbc1
  • I like it 1

I passed on this bottle yesterday when I found it at a local small store for $120 but found it at a large chain store for 49.99 later at night.  

I am not sure about the small store anymore.  I like to support the small business but they mark up $10-30 and they make you donate to charity (more depending on their view on how rare bottle is).  I don’t mind paying one or the other but not both.  Overpaid on a bottle of MWND for $150 when I was just starting to buy.47349238-4A1A-4757-BF1F-7A4B089EE308.thumb.jpeg.c7fd8c83f079d5e3187d37610cb5106d.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Amcl0701 said:

I passed on this bottle yesterday when I found it at a local small store for $120 but found it at a large chain store for 49.99 later at night.  

I am not sure about the small store anymore.  I like to support the small business but they mark up $10-30 and they make you donate to charity (more depending on their view on how rare bottle is).  I don’t mind paying one or the other but not both.  Overpaid on a bottle of MWND for $150 when I was just starting to buy.

While I generally advocate supporting charities, I would much rather chose which ones I'm supporting.

Furthermore, does said store provide some type of proof that your "donation" is actually going to charity?

Lastly (in my mind at least), there is no current bottle of BT mash #2 worth $120.

You did good @ $50.  I hope you keep it and enjoy drinking it.

16 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Decided to bunker 1 more of each.

Resizer_15363678828360.jpg

How is the Redemption Wheated?

Anything to compare it to?

Pick ups from my trip to France. Had some help with the 4R and Turkey with some fine SBers from across the pond. Blanton’s from a local bottle shop, 2011 bottle owner found while he was moving to a new bigger location. Owner is apparently buddies with the distributor/sales reps for Blanton’s in France which he referred to as the “Blanton’s Brothers”, and always has plenty of SFTB on the shelf.

IMG_5224.JPG

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

While I generally advocate supporting charities, I would much rather chose which ones I'm supporting.

Furthermore, does said store provide some type of proof that your "donation" is actually going to charity?

Lastly (in my mind at least), there is no current bottle of BT mash #2 worth $120.

You did good @ $50.  I hope you keep it and enjoy drinking it.

I did get a receipt from the charity when I bought a bottle of MWND (owners wife is a cancer survivor).. so at least their not shady about it and are nice people..

They do do have a Elijah Craig store pick for $50 + $10 charitable contribution, that has a 12 year age statement.. On the fence about it since I bought ECBP for $50 and 9 yr store pick for $30.. I have only had EC  small batch after the remove the 12 year age statement so not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

Def will be enjoying the RHF, easier to drink and enjoy versus selling or trading.. haha

Edited by Amcl0701

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.