What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Kinda how I've felt about all the ones I've tried.

You know Belle Meade is MGP right?

Might find something to your liking under that label... ;)

My local ABC got a barrel pick of this and I didn't care much for it until I paired it with a good cigar. The heat that I found off-putting is really tamed. I find a lot of my Bourbons wash out when paired. This one can hold its own.

OE7 101 for $18 out the door! I’m all about value. 

That’s a great price. The cheapest I can find OE 7yr near me is around $25.

Stopped at a local LS to look for some saison ales and Belgian trappist offerings, and came across a FR SB Ps OESQ. Picked it up as a bonus buy. Ha.

• I like it 1

While I’ve continued to stock up on old batch WTRB (at discounted pricing), I did manage a new batch ECBP this week.  

After a pleasant dinner and desert at Free State Brewing in Larryville, AKA Lawrence, KS, Mrs PG and I visited a good sized LS to peruse the autumnal offerings of pumpkin beers for her and Oktoberfest beers for me. Once at the cash register, I asked the clerk to check the inventory on his register for some OWA since I had purchased some there in the past. Someone once said "Ask and ye shall receive", well, I  asked and received a 750 ml from their office for the perfectly reasonable cost of $24.95 + tx. It may or may not be as fine as the OWA SP that I bought last month but about February or so it will probably do the trick when the outdoor thermometer reads "unreasonably cold".

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2018 at 6:14 AM, CUfan99 said:

:( I’m glad you can still find these Gee. Really, I’m happy for you! :(

Can't find these up here in New England!  I just have some really nice friends in the South (heh, heh).  ☺️

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

Took an unexpected trip to KY over two days. Stopped in Louisville, Lexington, Bardstown, and northern KY, and swung by Knoxville on the way home.

The 4R PS bottles were rare. I only saw two, the OBSF I got at the gift shop, and passed on an OBSQ since I don't really like the Q yeast one. Plenty of KCSB to be found. I tried the Wilderness Trail BIB in a bar and loved it, and found a bottle. I also went to Copper and Kings and got some of their Brandy, and a Dartigalongue Armagnac.

768006813_IMG_6052crop.thumb.jpg.72eedf2fe3f34eabd24a43b4c20bb0c1.jpg

• I like it 5

Took an unexpected trip to KY over two days. Stopped in Louisville, Lexington, Bardstown, and northern KY, and swung by Knoxville on the way home.

The 4R PS bottles were rare. I only saw two, the OBSF I got at the gift shop, and passed on an OBSQ since I don't really like the Q yeast one. Plenty of KCSB to be found. I tried the Wilderness Trail BIB in a bar and loved it, and found a bottle. I also went to Copper and Kings and got some of their Brandy, and a Dartigalongue Armagnac.

768006813_IMG_6052crop.thumb.jpg.72eedf2fe3f34eabd24a43b4c20bb0c1.jpg

Wow your trips always amaze me, I need to try some that copper and kings.

Picked up a couple bottles of a private pick (made by several of us and the local monger) of Blanton's.    :)

I may not open it for a while, though.      I have so many currently 'in the rotation', that I have nowhere else to keep another open bottle!  :o

• I like it 1

Evan Williams BiB for $11.33 with Safeway's 10% 6 bottle discount.  This stuff is pretty good.  I don't know how HH can sell it so cheap.  Especially when "craft" distilleries are selling 2 yr old distillate for $100+!  I'm talking to you, Peerlesss...

• I like it 2

Picked up a Makers Mark Private Select when passing through NH on our way home from Maine yesterday. Interesting addition. 

B40A82FB-D7A2-4B04-B57A-262A0F405B17.jpeg

• I like it 2

The 1792 full proof store pick went down very easy first night home and found a Stagg Jr batch 7 (with a lower fill level than the other batches, but I digress).

Also picked up some scotch.

AA5C39B0-48A0-4F14-85C0-1C97566E64B0.jpeg

• I like it 1

After about four years, I finally got the 2013 (and not cheap, I might add.)

Four years of searching and twice as much money spend as I've ever spend on a single bottle - it makes it hard to open.

I have at least two of each of the '14-'17s, of which I have tasted all, and I really want to do a 5x side-by-side.

I always buy whisk(e)y for drinking and never really chase unicorns (except this one), and damn is it hard to crack open. Especially knowing that this is truly a one-off.

WIN_20180903_11_44_04_Pro.jpg

• I like it 5

On 8/31/2018 at 7:21 PM, lcpfratn said:

That’s a great price. The cheapest I can find OE 7yr near me is around $25.

At that price I would pass if WT101 could be had at the same price or better. 

3 hours ago, Jace said:

After about four years, I finally got the 2013 (and not cheap, I might add.)

Four years of searching and twice as much money spend as I've ever spend on a single bottle - it makes it hard to open.

I have at least two of each of the '14-'17s, of which I have tasted all, and I really want to do a 5x side-by-side.

I always buy whisk(e)y for drinking and never really chase unicorns (except this one), and damn is it hard to crack open. Especially knowing that this is truly a one-off.

WIN_20180903_11_44_04_Pro.jpg

Very nice!

Nothing special, but picked up some daily drinkers today and a Very Old Barton BIB, which will be my first time trying. At $17, I figured it would be worth a try.IMG_8931.JPG

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Nothing special, but picked up some daily drinkers today and a Very Old Barton BIB, which will be my first time trying. At $17, I figured it would be worth a try.IMG_8931.JPG

Hows the BC12? 

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

12 year old MGP is real special in my book! Nice lineup. 

43 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

12 year old MGP is real special in my book! Nice lineup. 

Agree on the BC12!

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Hows the BC12? 

It just recently started getting distributed in Texas and I really like it. 

Edited by NDN98

Nothing special, but picked up some daily drinkers today and a Very Old Barton BIB, which will be my first time trying. At $17, I figured it would be worth a try.IMG_8931.thumb.JPG.063088f7a0df48d606ed3b57211153ca.JPG

Is that a 1792 true spirits pick? I thought Greg closed his shop down. Is he back in the Plano area?

2 hours ago, mfly86 said:

Is that a 1792 true spirits pick? I thought Greg closed his shop down. Is he back in the Plano area?

It is a True Spirits pick.  When they closed, he had several store picks that were due to come in and they were divided up among several liquor stores in the area.  Angel's Liquor in Plano got some of their picks and so did The Liquor Outpost in Allen.  This particular one I bought at Empire Liquor in Allen.  His full proof picks were always spot on, so I was curious to try the 1792 SiB.  To be honest, I was surprised to see it almost a year after True Spirits closed.

Edited by NDN98

It is a True Spirits pick.  When they closed, he had several store picks that were due to come in and they were divided up among several liquor stores in the area.  Angel's Liquor in Plano got some of their picks and so did The Liquor Outpost in Allen.  This particular one I bought at Empire Liquor in Allen.  His full proof picks were always spot on, so I was curious to try the 1792 SiB.  To be honest, I was surprised to see it almost a year after True Spirits closed.

That is what I figured. He did have some good picks. I had a RR that was a great bottle.

Did a quick 36 hour trip to KY over the weekend and picked up some private pick's from Cork N Bottle along with a 14YR OFBIB, couple of the 16yr WHH, some 4yr WFE ryes, an ECBP, couple Birthday Bourbons, and a case of HH6 just to round it out...

KY Weekend.jpg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.