What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was a tough pass, but a CEHT Four Grain at $999.99 near Times Square. My first car (1968 Olds 442) set me back $400 back in 1979, so I’ve got my standards. 

• I like it 3

It was a tough pass, but a CEHT Four Grain at $999.99 near Times Square. My first car (1968 Olds 442) set me back $400 back in 1979, so I’ve got my standards. 

My first car almost 20 years later was less than that, wasn’t an Olds 442 though.

11 hours ago, pyro273 said:

Fair enough, thanks for the education!

I read awhile back that the US version which had a higher percentage of PG went to Europe by mistake and a lawsuit resulted (the Euro version was required to have a lower amount of PG) perhaps Sazerac eliminated it entirely to avoid any further legal hassles. 

21 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

My first car almost 20 years later was less than that, wasn’t an Olds 442 though.

Luckily I’ve kicked the car habit— much trickier and dangerous than the odd dram. 

Passed on a few OE 7 101 still on the shelf of a place that tends to overcharge. I would love to take home their WTMK Decades and Revival, but not for $275 each.

IMG_20190228_221544.jpg

Luckily I’ve kicked the car habit— much trickier and dangerous than the odd dram. 

Saw that Sean Brock the chef from SC sold his bourbon to buy a 69 Road Runner, kind of the opposite.
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Passed on a few OE 7 101 still on the shelf of a place that tends to overcharge. I would love to take home their WTMK Decades and Revival, but not for $275 each.

IMG_20190228_221544.jpg

That is the right price for OE101 and it is discontinued. It's a good value bourbon for being age stated and over 100 proof. They would have ended up in my cart if I saw them.

The manager said he heard really good things about the No.27 Gold, but it’s really pricey. I also have a coworker who had bragged about this Sinatra but I don’t know, I think this bottle may have been sitting here for a couple of years.

IMG_4123.jpg

Passed on Henry McKenna BIB at two stores while traveling in Columbus, GA today for $42.99 and $43.99...yikes!

I passed on Eagle Rare @ $39. Kinda tempted to go back seeing other shelves empty and tasting other options at this price point. 

Shound I wait and try others? Still new to the game. 

6 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Kentucky Owl Rye #2 @ $199

I pass on it at this price every weekend at the grocery store. It is good, just not that price good.

8 hours ago, Supercharger said:

I passed on Eagle Rare @ $39. Kinda tempted to go back seeing other shelves empty and tasting other options at this price point. 

My advice?  ALWAYS Try stuff.   NEVER WAIT!   As far as individual brand decisions?   Shop around and see what the going rate in your area is.   Prices can vary WIDELY in different regions of the Country.

I went to the ABC looking for Ezra Brooks Bourbon Cream and saw they had 5 bottles of BT Bourbon Cream ($19.99) as well. But since the Ezra was on clearance that’s what I went with. The 2 bottles of Ezra were cheaper than 1 BT and I like the Ezra better anyway.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I went to the ABC looking for Ezra Brooks Bourbon Cream and saw they had 5 bottles of BT Bourbon Cream ($19.99) as well. But since the Ezra was on clearance that’s what I went with. The 2 bottles of Ezra were cheaper than 1 BT and I like the Ezra better anyway.

I've never had the Ezra but I'm curious how you would compare this against the Mary Hite Bowman (if you've had it).  I usually get that one since I like supporting A Smith Bowman.

Passed on WT 101 at 19.00 for 1L and RB for 32.00!! Both at duty free. No room and I certainly don’t need any more but it hurt to pass that RB.

Passed on a W12 handle @ 250.  Those are really rare in the Chicago Burbs, even at those prices.

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I've never had the Ezra but I'm curious how you would compare this against the Mary Hite Bowman (if you've had it).  I usually get that one since I like supporting A Smith Bowman.

Joe, I’ve only had Ezra and BT so I can’t help you with the Bowman comparison.

Said no to a Cream of Kentucky at $150. I was tempted because I am a huge fan of what Jim Rutledge did at FR and want to support him. Had it been offered at 80-100 I’d have pulled the trigger but just couldn’t do it. Someone else will buy it and support him I guess.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, callingtom said:

Passed on a W12 handle @ 250.  Those are really rare in the Chicago Burbs, even at those prices.

Ouch. That feels like a big price tag. Was it a local or chain store?

On 3/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, Supercharger said:

I'm not sure where you are, but that seems quite expensive.  For that price, you should be able to find WT Rare Breed or Knob Creek Single Barrel - money much better spent in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'm not sure where you are, but that seems quite expensive.  For that price, you should be able to find WT Rare Breed or Knob Creek Single Barrel - money much better spent in my opinion.

Thats where my hesitation lied. I see prices from $29-34, but hardly ever in stock. KC is fairly easy to bid a that price, and I have one. I like it, but after breathing, there was a finish that reminded me of the saccharine feel that’s turned me off of OF1920. We’ll see how it goes going forward. 

WTRB is $43 around here. 

39 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

Ouch. That feels like a big price tag. Was it a local or chain store?

No, local guy who gives me a heads up when he gets good stuff. W12 just does not show up at retail.  The couple of local guys give me the story of "I have to buy and sell the less desirable BT stuff so I get a few of the high end."   So they price to the market here. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.