What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In an attempt to prolong the polishing off a bottle tonight, I’m doing a 50/50 small batch combo much to my delight.. I teamed up EC & KC 100.. I’ve never experienced a nose that was STRONGLY prominent of Fruity Pebbles.. yes, you heard correctly.. Second thought, I may wind up whacking out 2 bottles tonight.. :) Very pleasing!

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Seen it. Wondering if the SB is worth the $50. Any reveiw thoughts?

It's quite good for only being 4 years.  Worth is a relative term though.  Can you get better for less?  Sure.  I'll pick up another since it's pretty available near me and I'm only about 20 minutes from the distillery.  I'd recommend it if you have the opportunity.

I have not revisited my blind 4R bottles since early December. Going to attempt (for the second time) to record some notes/thoughts. Very unsuccessful last time. 

ADAFD859-0840-4B6D-B8A8-856DD60BC98B.jpeg

• I like it 3

BT in my glass this gorgeous evening, here, Down South.  Take my bunker, offer me nothing but Buffalo Trace at the store, give me no expectation for any other whiskey to ever cross my lips...and I’ll be a very, very, happy and content man.  

• I like it 1

This is tasting pretty darn good. 

It was either this or Maker’s at the hotel bar, and I wasn’t in a Maker’s mood. 

7CB1509A-D320-4C35-A5EA-2DBC4067ED86.jpeg

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Seen it. 

Seen it. Wondering if the SB is worth the $50. Any reveiw thoughts?

Bret,

I have been to New Riff for a barrel selection as well as having had pours from multiple NR bottles. There is a lot to like. 

35% rye mash bill. Lower barrel entry proof. All of their juice is at least 4 years old. A distiller from MGP is involved as well as a former brewer from Sam Adams. 

I like that they embrace who they are. They don’t have a 125 year old rick house like Wild Turkey does but their tasting set up is top notch. A nice room, leather chairs, quality glassware, notebooks etc. I really like where they are heading. 

Now, on to what counts. It is good bourbon. Period. Not good for craft or good for only four years. Now, does that mean it tastes like 7+ year product? No. Does the youth show up at times mid palate? Yes. I do not find it off putting. 

‘Worth it is always a conversation between you, your wallet, and your tatse buddies’.  I’d recommend trying one. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JMFH said:

New Riff Single Barrel tonight.

46851447484_b579a363ed_c.jpg

Nice photo.

• I like it 3

BT in my glass this gorgeous evening, here, Down South.  Take my bunker, offer me nothing but Buffalo Trace at the store, give me no expectation for any other whiskey to ever cross my lips...and I’ll be a very, very, happy and content man.  

Hmmm...so, you’ll give me your bunker if I keep you supplied in BT? Tempting...if I thought you were really serious. [emoji848]
  • I like it 3

Saw a bottle of Very Old Barton (regular 86) at the grocery for $13. Figured what the hell as I'd never had it (tried the BIB years ago but honestly forgot what I though about it.) Obviously Very Old Barton is not very old...its relative youth is apparent. I expected (ad got) a fair bit of ethanol on the nose, what I wasn't expecting was a distinct note of...peaches. Huh? Palate is corn, ethanol, and darn if that peach note isn't there too! Finish is short with some ethanol, oak, and a last straggling peach note still. Well that's different. Not going to kick my usual short-of-cash bottom-shelfer aside (I still find it hard to beat EWB for flavor for the $) but this is a cool detour and I'm not out a lot. I'll hit another pour in a bit when the dogs are done and I sit down for an unwind session with the hi-fi...

TP

• I like it 2

Nice color, picking some some nice sweetness tonight, little bit over half a bottle left.

8rY58bI.jpg

• I like it 1

Ended up being a screw top night.  Some people had been talking about JB Distillers Cut so I started with that.  Second pour was the ET BIB.

Hmmm...so, you’ll give me your bunker if I keep you supplied in BT? Tempting...if I thought you were really serious. [emoji848]

He starts that BS when he’s had too many BTs. ;)
  • I like it 2

15 hours ago, JMFH said:

New Riff Single Barrel tonight.

46851447484_b579a363ed_c.jpg

Fantastic photo and bourbon! Keep them coming JMFH. I’ve only tasted 1 New Riff barrel but 3 more bottles of it feels like it’s not enough. 

One of my local liquor stores just received a case of Old Ezra Barrel Strength. I've really enjoyed this and plan on picking up more if there is any left on the shelf. I'm a sucker for sweeter bourbons and this is one that fills that niche for me.  

• I like it 1

On 4/6/2019 at 4:58 AM, smokinjoe said:

Stopped by Antico Pizza in the Battery after the game to pick up a pizza to go, and had a Woodford at the bar while waiting for it.  Loved it...again.  Such an enigma.  I never buy it (almost—Derby bottles for gifts).  Never recommend it.  Never even give it much thought.  But dang, every time I have it on Delta, at a bar, at a party, at an event...I really like it.  Perhaps it’s the environment that I’m drinking it, but whatever the reason, it’s enough to make me get a bottle for home consumption to dive into it more.  

I've cracked a 1l Holiday bottle this evening and was just thinking it never seems to get mentioned much... great stuff. 

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

He starts that BS when he’s had too many BTs. ;)

And what’s wrong with having too many BT’s?  Heck, I have three different BT’s open right now. ^_^ 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

And what’s wrong with having too many BT’s?  Heck, I have three different BT’s open right now. ^_^ 

Biba! Joe

As for what I’m drinking this evening...... I actually had a hard time deciding. I have a number of bottles open that I like, and have been partaking of lately.  :) I also have a couple open that I’ve tried to like, and have not been partaking of lately. <_<  As I perused my open shelf, there was a bottle that had almost completely  slipped my mind. Blasphemy I know, but right there in front of my eyes was the 2/3’s full handle of my 2018 Weller Blend.  Dohhh! I didn’t have to think twice. A nice healthy pour is in the glass now. To quote Jon Lovitz from long ago on SNL, “Yeah. That’s the ticket.” :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

High West American Prairie is tasting good on this beautiful spring day. Given how gorgeous the weather is any bourbon might taste fantastic right now.

2 minutes ago, JMFH said:

A tradition unlike any other...

32639749217_82edeb41ce_c.jpg

Love this batch.  Heard some say the 'A' batches were off a bit.  I don't see (or taste) it. Picked up 2 more.

More BT for me, tonight.  And, you filthy animals stay away from my stash...  :D

• I like it 2

One of my favorites this Hump Day. 

53D30B7B-6156-40F8-A108-3F02C6CD1A7E.jpeg

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 6

14 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Missed out on one of these this year.  Enjoy!

33 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

There went the tax return! Lol! ;) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.