What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I realize the old HH6BiB was an incredible value in its time, but to age the whiskey one additional year and get 3x as much $$ for it seems a bit excessive 

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I realize the old HH6BiB was an incredible value in its time, but to age the whiskey one additional year and get 3x as much $$ for it seems a bit excessive 

I don’t disagree in the least. Especially since HMcK10 can be had for cheaper. I figured I’d try it just to see if there’s anything special. Some bottle surprise me. 

2 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I don’t disagree in the least. Especially since HMcK10 can be had for cheaper. I figured I’d try it just to see if there’s anything special. Some bottle surprise me. 

Hope it's a kickass bottle for you!  Be sure to share your thoughts about it.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, smokinjoe said:

My work is now complete. With a recent purchase of Early Times, and now a family sized Larceny, I have saved the final two distilleries from mayhem.  I went big on the Larceny because the recent brush fire at Deatsville was a little too close for comfort and Max Shapira tore me a new one for lallygagging around on them...Said, if I didn’t get my lazy ass moving and pick up an HH bottle pronto, the closest thing GBS would get to a private pick in the future would be a half pint of HPNOTIQ...

Yes sir!!  Going now, SIR!!!!!  

:D

EA486948-8077-42D3-AA39-725C0C209DCC.jpeg

FDD46DEF-D740-4BD7-B806-39EA173BE354.jpeg

Whew!

I'll be doing both an EC and a Larceny pick in about 4 weeks so your sacrifice has set us up for success!!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

My unicorn hunting expedition in Larrytown, AKA Lawrence, KS, last night was unsuccessful. The store clerks told me that the boss man keeps the hard to find stuff in his office and doles it out to a waiting list. It's a bummer.

Summer seems to have deserted us here on the Middle Coast. I've actually started to take out the Flannel shirts and checked the thermals. I turned on the furnace for the first time yesterday and it's still on this morning. In order to have the right attitude for what is expected to be a "Polar Coaster" winter, the big boy whiskeys are going to be served more often. So before I left the LS, I paid for a bottle of OGD114. Better to have it and not need it than to want it and not have it.

As the quote in my old signature used to say - everything goes a little better with OGD.

Whew!
I'll be doing both an EC and a Larceny pick in about 4 weeks so your sacrifice has set us up for success!!

Steve, is the Larceny pick going to be bottled at barrel proof?

8 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Picked this up this morning... $64 ?

This is getting out of hand... W-12 I found last week was $74... 

At least my Weller shelf is filled back up, shouldn’t need to buy another one for a while... 1.75 in the back was $52...

3D71F1E8-59BB-49BC-BADB-F0E329D77C01.jpeg

F0C9E97F-55A2-4580-8553-2B0FF1239622.jpeg

In Ontario, Antique 107 is now priced 64 CAD . Used to be 36.   More expensive than the allocated W12 which is at 59cad.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:26 PM, JTaylor said:

Some good fortune this weekend...

3D28EA1D-BC50-43BF-A9B8-2EE4CFB1C2E4.jpeg

Dang that’s a BT super haul

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Steve, is the Larceny pick going to be bottled at barrel proof?

I don’t think so but you know we’ll be asking hard for it. 

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Hope it's a kickass bottle for you!  Be sure to share your thoughts about it.

Popped it tonight since I figured some would like to know. If I had to compare it to another HH product, I would say it’s closest to ECBP without the octane. Not quite as special, but definitely has something to it that differentiates from HMcK10. Lots of caramel that I notice in it, which sometimes turns me off if too sweet. This one holds that but is perceived as smooth as opposed to saccharin.  

I’m sure there’s a way to make sure your EC small batch is 10 years old (didn’t have the presence of mind to ask), but enjoyed my first pour of this store select.

Initial intent was to have some to blend with the EC A119 I have and tone that bad boy down a bit.

90561358-2631-4ABF-ABAE-B34569E079C6.jpeg

On 10/12/2019 at 12:07 PM, Vosgar said:

Yet as we have seen, people are buying it.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:30 PM, DRAMachine said:

In Ontario, Antique 107 is now priced 64 CAD . Used to be 36.   More expensive than the allocated W12 which is at 59cad.

According to the Va ABC website the store in Norfolk has 10 bottles of OWA in stock for $24.99. Let the stampede commence! :) 

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

According to the Va ABC website the store in Norfolk has 10 bottles of OWA in stock for $24.99. Let the stampede commence! :) 

After all that is spoken here about the action that will inevitably occur and which you predict at the end of your post, why would you post that info on an open forum like this?  

On 10/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, Vosgar said:

Agree, not just a great value, but I thought it was really cool that HH gave Kentucky its own in state only product that was both good quality and a decent price. 

I would have liked to see the 7 year priced at about $30, but the new price is not necessarily out of line with the current market.  W107 took a 2.5x price jump with no change to the product, well except the addition of a cork.  McKenna is on the $40-45 range with no changes.  Four Roses Barrel Strength jumped about $15 per bottle and though I have yet to see it, I am being told KCSiB will be going up by $15 as well.   Unfortunately, $40 is  competitive vs other 7 year products  that are available (W107, Bakers, OEBP . . . )  I am not counting the discontinued OE7 or VB7 here 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

After all that is spoken here about the action that will inevitably occur and which you predict at the end of your post, why would you post that info on an open forum like this?  

You think that's bad Limbaugh just gave a shout out for KC bourbon on his radio program.  Seems that ABC news was caught red handed purporting to show video from a massacre in Syria when it was actually from the KC gun range in Kentucky.  ?

Edited by DCFan

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I bought a couple bottles of an ER10 barrel pick. About $36 each including tax

Nice BIB? Please let us know how it tastes. 

Biba! Joe

Grabbed a bottle of New Riff BiB at Costco today for $34. 

Capture.JPG.1565122d2d6ced89157db6cac88750b4.JPG

Edited by FreddyC

On 9/27/2019 at 1:01 PM, Supercharger said:

Grabbed the new SAOS Straight Bourbon. Interested to try since they went back to MGP

I already polished this one off. I liked it a bit better than the Pinhook 4-yr which is a similar price. 

51 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I already polished this one off. I liked it a bit better than the Pinhook 4-yr which is a similar price. 

That’s a very fair assessment.

I won’t be buying any more of it though...

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

That’s a very fair assessment.

I won’t be buying any more of it though...

It was nice to reminisce of MGP SAOS. Just not at $45. 

• I like it 1

Not a big fan of finished bourbons but I had a pour of the Parker's Heritage Collection 12th Edition that was finished in Orange Curacao Barrels.  I enjoyed it but hadn't seen any bottles on the shelf.  While doing the Woodford Barrel Pick this morning I noticed some on the shelf behind the counter.  What can I say, I'm weak.

PHC.jpeg

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Not a big fan of finished bourbons but I had a pour of the Parker's Heritage Collection 12th Edition that was finished in Orange Curacao Barrels.  I enjoyed it but hadn't seen any bottles on the shelf.  While doing the Woodford Barrel Pick this morning I noticed some on the shelf behind the counter.  What can I say, I'm weak.

PHC.jpeg

Will be blasphemy to many, but this makes a great old fashioned.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Will be blasphemy to many, but this makes a great old fashioned.

I bet it does.  But like Booker Noe said when asked how you were supposed to drink bourbon . . . "Any damn way you please!"  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.