Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Man o man, we are filling up this section more than the other subforums on the board!

Anyway, this one deserved a pick. Found it smooth, sweet, a good blend of flavor and depth.

Gve1pYrx9szHWIyRXjsK-vdofEIZ-pO_FprgMZfN

3 hours ago, Oli77 said:

Man o man, we are filling up this section more than the other subforums on the board!

Anyway, this one deserved a pick. Found it smooth, sweet, a good blend of flavor and depth.

Gve1pYrx9szHWIyRXjsK-vdofEIZ-pO_FprgMZfN

That stuff is just wonderful!

• I like it 1

At 17.99 a bottle... have I found. Bourbon Zen?? 

no unfortunately not but I believe for an intro bourbon for friends, this is perfect. I’ve found that starting someone with an ECBP isn’t a good opening ?

97497BD8-B501-4CCD-B67A-61CBB8C0F536.jpeg

2 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

At 17.99 a bottle... have I found. Bourbon Zen?? 

When you pull it out of the freezer on a hot summer day, you will say.......yes.

• I like it 3

First pour of the weekend. Was a good bottle. 

19017E93-0F77-4E23-8568-53814C73C7D5.jpeg

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 3

Finished off a great whiskey while listening to some great tunes from the Allman Brothers. Fitting.

20200405_011431.jpg

• I like it 12

Found  a good supply of the 2018 KC CS Rye at $49 recently. picked up 4 of them. Here's the second to man up and stand down.

Pat734595673_KCCS2018Rye.thumb.jpg.c6d0505aeb3a49f821a50bba215276b2.jpg

• I like it 1

since the recent calamity (bourbon boom, not corona) I've been enjoying the bunker.  why fight for good stuff when I've basement full.  I've been hitting Elijah 12 year pretty hard.  Killed 3 1.75 jugs: a pre-fire, an old post-fire, and just now one of last 12 year, age statement was on back label.  All were good.  The pre-fire was best, more complexity.  All had great lingering aftertaste.  But the biggest lesson was how good they were, I took them for granted back in the day but now relish them.  

On 3/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, Not_That_Fancy said:

Another bottle gone.... and another bottles opened. This was the sweetest cherry popsicle bottle I’ve had yet. 

09F69C39-1AA5-4817-B723-9848828D4616.jpeg

The bottle of this i am currently on, a store pick, had a watered down cherry coke taste to it.  I had never picked up on that flavor before in non store picks of ER.

6 minutes ago, ThomasGazelle said:

The bottle of this i am currently on, a store pick, had a watered down cherry coke taste to it.  I had never picked up on that flavor before in non store picks of ER.

I have 2 store picks on the way. Should be here the next day or so. This was not a SP but had a deep cherry to it. 

It’s not bad juice. Won’t be immediately replaced, but I can see myself giving it another go in the future. 

the RR10 went dry yesterday! 

E7386FF5-6D58-43E6-9962-70EB0BA8E1E0.jpeg

A few more headin to the bin. The B519 was really good. I think I know of maybe 1 or 2 out there at retail near me that I might venture out for.

84410A99-1B9F-422B-B9B3-DED45347A007.jpeg

12 hours ago, 0895 said:

OESF down.

K&L does some awesome picks.  Glad I'm in CA and can get shipping/delivery from them. 

• I like it 2

First time trying this and enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely not a one and done... 

david nicholson reserve.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

First time trying this and enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely not a one and done... 

david nicholson reserve.jpg

I find it a lovely pour, as well, fosmith!   About $5 higher than I wish it was... yet I always have a bottle open.   ...And, none of 'em seem to last very long.     Hmmmmm.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, fosmith said:

K&L does some awesome picks.  Glad I'm in CA and can get shipping/delivery from them. 

Lucky.  This was the last thing I got from them before they quit shipping to my state.

23 hours ago, fosmith said:

20 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I find it a lovely pour, as well, fosmith!   About $5 higher than I wish it was... yet I always have a bottle open.   ...And, none of 'em seem to last very long.     Hmmmmm.

I think I heard that this is not the same wheated mash bill as the other DN.

I've been very curious to try the Reserve, how would you guys describe it?  Anything it might be similar to?

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think I heard that this is not the same wheated mash bill as the other DN.

I've been very curious to try the Reserve, how would you guys describe it?  Anything it might be similar to?

Pretty certain the David Nicholson RESERVE, 100-proof is a normal rye-based Bourbon mashbill.   The D.N. 1843 (used to be a BIB), 100-proof is a wheater... and it has been for a good while afaik.    The 1843 is mild, sweet and not deep or broad, and it tastes 'young' to me.   I find a worthwhile use for it to blend into something that's too woody.   It generally blends well, and at 100-proof doesn't quickly 'water down' most other Bourbons.   It mostly just moderates the oakiness.   It's an OK pour neat, if you're in the mood for a sweeter, milder brain-free non-challenging pour.

The RESERVE is a very nicely balanced and more typical Bourbon that seems older to my taste buddies (could be 6+ years old?).   The label describes it as "extra aged", whatever that means.   It seems spicier and more 'caramel and cookies' to my taste buddies than just sugar and vanilla (like the 1843).   It also has a bit of nuttiness . . or maybe sometimes seems like nutmeg to my taste buddies.   Definitely a deeper, broader profile than D.N. 1843.

• I like it 3

46 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Pretty certain the David Nicholson RESERVE, 100-proof is a normal rye-based Bourbon mashbill.   The D.N. 1843 (used to be a BIB), 100-proof is a wheater... and it has been for a good while afaik.    The 1843 is mild, sweet and not deep or broad, and it tastes 'young' to me.   I find a worthwhile use for it to blend into something that's too woody.   It generally blends well, and at 100-proof doesn't quickly 'water down' most other Bourbons.   It mostly just moderates the oakiness.   It's an OK pour neat, if you're in the mood for a sweeter, milder brain-free non-challenging pour.

The RESERVE is a very nicely balanced and more typical Bourbon that seems older to my taste buddies (could be 6+ years old?).   The label describes it as "extra aged", whatever that means.   It seems spicier and more 'caramel and cookies' to my taste buddies than just sugar and vanilla (like the 1843).   It also has a bit of nuttiness . . or maybe sometimes seems like nutmeg to my taste buddies.   Definitely a deeper, broader profile than D.N. 1843.

That sounds delicious. I might have to give it a whirl. 

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I like that DN Reserve. I also have the 1843 wheater (white label) open bottle on my bar, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about. I take that to mean it did not leave an especially good impression on me.

But count me as a fan of the Reserve (black label). Yes this one is their rye- based bourbon.

Edited by Kepler

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.