Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This bottle grew on me! Not a fan sometimes because of an "off" after taste. Other times, it is sweet and delicious. It's just me, i guess. Last night, it was a good night for the end of it.

Paired it with fondue, while twirling and eating. 20200215_200237.jpg

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Oli77 said:

This bottle grew on me! Not a fan sometimes because of an "off" after taste. Other times, it is sweet and delicious. It's just me, i guess. Last night, it was a good night for the end of it.

Paired it with fondue, while twirling and eating. 20200215_200237.jpg

"...twirling and eating"?   I'd be afraid of dropping the baton into the fondue; but, I am a well-known klutz... so, probably just me.  ?

• I like it 1

Sorry, not sure what you call it when you "twirl" the wooden spoon in the fondue to slowly mix the cheese with the wine. "Figure-8 mixing"?

10 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

Sorry, not sure what you call it when you "twirl" the wooden spoon in the fondue to slowly mix the cheese with the wine. "Figure-8 mixing"?

OK, now I get it.   

Didn't mean to suggest you were actually twirling a baton (like my Sis did for good Ole LPHS those many years ago).   The word 'twirling' just struck me funny.   Actually never had fondue, so not at all familiar with the practices involved. 

I didn't mean to cast aspersions, at all; just an apparently poor attempt at humor.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a HH kick lately. This, JW Dant, EC, ECBP, and HH 6yr 90 proof have been singing to me. 

20200227_215626.jpg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Edit - not sure what’s up with the sideways photos.  This a new thing I can’t edit

Assuming you’re posting a photo from an iPhone or iPad.  The trick is to edit the photo on your device before you attach/insert it to a post.  Easiest thing is to just resize the photo, and save that change.  It will then appear proper side up when you post to a forum.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:03 PM, fosmith said:

Wouldn't be Rare Breed without a broken cork... ?

rare breed cork.jpg

Even the new ones are doing this?  Geeze you'd think this would be fixed by now.  I still prefer these real corks to the fake ones like Maker's and Beam.  I noticed the new 101 bottles have gone to a composite cork which I'm also not a big fan of.

• I like it 1

Finished off RRSiB & WTKS PS tonight.

No question the WTKS is the better bottle. WT in the 101 offering, when Jimmy or Eddie have input..........can't get any better. 

Cheers 

Sadly going to have to buy another. Lucky I still know where a couple are. Seems like I should finish it while watching Frozen with my daughter.

IMG_20200301_183516.jpg

• I like it 1

A bottle of my beloved 2007 WLW gave up its last, wonderfully chewy pour last night. Sorry, but no picture. I decanted this bottle a while back after the cork broke. Sadly, I now only have 8 different Wellers open. ? On the upside, I still have a couple of 07’s in the bunker. :P  What can I say?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

This was not bad.  Actually kinda good.  Just not $55 good, IMO.  Won't be buying another one....

4R gone.jpg

This was a good Kentucky rye. I can see some amazing stuff coming in the next 2 to 8 years from this distillery. In the next two years the 4 year getting bumped up to 6 and by year 8 some small batch and SiB well-aged releases. However, I really hope the 4 year doesn’t go away and the price on it decreases a bit. 

971F404D-CC9C-4771-A63D-45779CD44496.jpeg

Edited by CUfan99
typo
  • I like it 4

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

This was not bad.  Actually kinda good.  Just not $55 good, IMO.  Won't be buying another one....

4R gone.jpg

Yeah, that's about where I eventually landed with this one.   At first I thought it was complex, and enough different to be worth the upcharge.    Then after a while, it wasn't so much 'complex' as it was oddly unbalanced, or even worse some days.   So, I made the decision not to get another whenever this (now low-fill) bottle bites the dust.

11 hours ago, fosmith said:

4R gone.jpg

I agree.  The extra proof points are nice, but not worth an additional $25ish more.

No pics but I did drain one of my CEHT SmB bottles a couple of days ago.  It was quickly replaced from one in the bunker.

No pictures.  Killed a KC SiB pick, a regular WT101, ETBiB and an Eagle Rare all hit the bin in the last 2 weekends.

In GoT parlance.....”and now his watch is ended”.

I will journey to the wall....er bunker, and dispatch reinforcements!

image.jpg

Finished this one up at a local’s tasting bar.  I like it well enough, but not enough to seek out a bottle.  It can be a tad bitter at times.  Otherwise, kinda similar to Pikesville rye.  
I like Cornerstone better.

3C5DBA3B-170F-4AEC-84FE-7C8398B52AE7.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, 0895 said:

Finished this one up at a local’s tasting bar.  I like it well enough, but not enough to seek out a bottle.  It can be a tad bitter at times.  Otherwise, kinda similar to Pikesville rye.  
I like Cornerstone better.

3C5DBA3B-170F-4AEC-84FE-7C8398B52AE7.jpeg

Like pikesville on steroids. If you do find another let me know... I really liked the grainy texture in that bottle. Completely opposite mouthfeel to the cornerstone, which I also loved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.