What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Phil T said:

$21.80 including tax? That is crazy talk. Buy everyone they have.

Y’all are gonna tempt me to go buy the 6cases they had in the floor

Hey Mtnbourbon-

picking up some things in your neck of the woods tomorrow. any more of those on the shelf? thx!!

Picked up a bottle of EHT single barrel and a bottle of WSR. The WSR is for a gift to a coworker, but the EHT is always one of my favorites when I can find it. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

WT101 hit a new low on base. 21.80 that includes tax. 

had to buy 2. 

0EEF89CE-D252-444E-987A-992762D0D399.jpeg

It's a good thing you bought a few at that price. Otherwise people on here might have started to question your sanity.?

Hit the "jackpot" during PA COVID-19 prohibition; 750s of EWBL, OGDBIB, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse Rye BIB, and Mount Gay Eclipse.  

2 hours ago, Double C's said:

It's a good thing you bought a few at that price. Otherwise people on here might have started to question your sanity.?

So I called this morning and they have 3x 6btl cases (Store has 8 cases) set aside for me today. I guess I’ll just plus up the bunker.

Edited by Not_That_Fancy
Typo
  • I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

So I called this morning and they have 3x 6btl cases (Store has 8 cases) set aside for me today. I guess I’ll just plus up the bunker.

Well done.  I think I am just above that price after tax on a 750ml bottle although I usually wait until there is a multiple bottle rebate to stock up.

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Well done.  I think I am just above that price after tax on a 750ml bottle although I usually wait until there is a multiple bottle rebate to stock up.

Picked up my first WT101 today to see what all the fuss is about. I paid more for a 750 than that handle price (almost $45 here)

I purchased a bourbon today that I haven’t bought in quite awhile. EHT SB($38.99), it’s Been about 2 years that I have opened one. Not bad. 
6CA639F0-6E41-46C1-ABB1-7CE3B578FF2A.thumb.jpeg.4c30237c1c7e2ea17afc8032b0472445.jpeg

• I like it 4

Got a Stagg Jr. Batch 13 today that my daughter picked up last night for me. She left it on my porch and it has been properly disinfected.  It was a bit overpriced at $69.99 but I'm weak. Thinking about a batch 12 vs batch 13 abs this weekend. I did an SJR inventory and I have a batch 7, 2 batch 10s, a 12 and now a 13.

20200417_171715.jpg

• I like it 3

I  drove over to Jersey earlier this week to escape Pennsylvania prohibition,  and, duly masked,  found the first bottle I've seen of Four Roses Small Batch Select.   It's probably the best bourbon I've purchased this year,  balanced and simply bursting with flavor.  

• I like it 2

Haven't been to a LS in 6 weeks so I had to pick up a few staples.  Not all bourbon, but none of it will be wasted.

0417201947.jpg

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Y’all are gonna tempt me to go buy the 6cases they had in the floor

10 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I am not one to encourage anyone to overspend on liquor.  However, 18 bottles @ $21.80 per 1.75 liter is phenomenal.  Assuming it is within your budget, you will be getting a great deal.  

3 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Haven't been to a LS in 6 weeks so I had to pick up a few staples.  Not all bourbon, but none of it will be wasted.

0417201947.jpg

Nice to see the Drambuie— a wonderful comfort dram  (especially 50:50 with Ardbeg 10).

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Nice to see the Drambuie— a wonderful comfort dram  (especially 50:50 with Ardbeg 10).

For my taste buddies (which may or may not have 'evolved' from earlier times) today's Drambuie doesn't taste much like the bottles I bought about 30 or 40 years ago.   ?

Of course that can be said about many brands that have stood the test of time, albeit not unaltered in many cases.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

For my taste buddies (which may or may not have 'evolved' from earlier times) today's Drambuie doesn't taste much like the bottles I bought about 30 or 40 years ago.   ?

Of course that can be said about many brands that have stood the test of time, albeit not unaltered in many cases.

This bottle is no more than 20 years old, but it does seem spicier and less viscous (in a sugary sense) than the newer iterations. The 15yo version is still my favorite.

IMG_4278.thumb.jpg.6f94bdcc446be7b3e51d6a78f51b4638.jpg

• I like it 3

Recently started watching a show that features this drink in it all the time.  I had never really heard of it before, I do know about it’s older sibling, as I have never even thought about or had rye. I was picking up some Sam Adams today at one of my LLS (not looking for bourbon as I am trying to thin down my meager herd right now) and just to make conversation I asked about this.  The owner says there should be the last one out on the shelf.  She checked and there wasn’t.  She then went behind the counter and got one from underneath somewhere.  I appreciated the effort and in order to build good will and satisfy my curiosity I bought it. Owner said it will be the “last time hey have it for months”.  She may have just been trying to make me think I had gotten something “rare” but I am not much of a hunter for things so I am not sure how accurate her claim is.  $40.00 out the door.  I haven’t opened it yet but plan to later this weekend.  

A0939D84-304F-4C43-BFE5-D601C908AF44.jpeg

• I like it 2

^^^ “Baby Saz” (as Sazerac rye goes by here) shows up in SF Bay Area Costcos maybe once a quarter or so.  It’ll be in the low to mid $20 range, and won’t last a week on the shelves.

$40 OTD is a little steep, but that may also reflect that your area/region doesn’t have very many bottles made available at retail. 

Baby Saz is regarded by many folks as a solid pour.  Drink it in good health!

On 4/16/2020 at 7:02 PM, GTStagg said:

I recall being underwhelmed by that first pour, but blown away when I revisited it a week later.

This happens to me often with 4R barrel selects outside the V yeast. Those other recipes can be so unique compared to what the other distilleries do that they can kind of be a shock. Once the palate adjusts they really shine.

• I like it 2

I was working out of town today and went to their local ABC. They had a couple that I hadn't seen yet, Knob Creek 12yr and Baker's 7yr Single Barrel. Both were $59 but I eventually settled on the Baker's. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

14 hours ago, steven s said:

you just planted a drambuie seed....

He has a way of doing that. Go to the non whiskey spirit thread to see what he posts every day.

17 minutes ago, flahute said:

This happens to me often with 4R barrel selects outside the V yeast. Those other recipes can be so unique compared to what the other distilleries do that they can kind of be a shock. Once the palate adjusts they really shine.

Preach on Brother!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.