What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got an email offering a lottery for allocated stuff.

On the list: Rare Perfection 14 & 15, Olde St. Nick, Wattie Boone 8, Blood Oath, and a few more. ?

Big bucks for all these, but I think still at MSRP.

Blanton's and Booker's also offered.  I'm just not in the market.

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I got an email offering a lottery for allocated stuff.

On the list: Rare Perfection 14 & 15, Olde St. Nick, Wattie Boone 8, Blood Oath, and a few more. ?

Big bucks for all these, but I think still at MSRP.

Blanton's and Booker's also offered.  I'm just not in the market.

Those are all a pass for me as well. Blanton's I just don't trust right now. Booker's is too dang expensive. All the others are in hard pass territory.

• I like it 3

My wife and I took a drive today cause we wanted to get away for a few hours. Yeah, we stopped at a couple of liquor stores. One store had ER for $49.99. I passed. That same store also had all the BTAC and Pappy’s way up high on a shelf behind the checkout counter. I asked what the price was on the WLW. The gal behind the counter told me. I couldn’t believe it, and asked if that was the right price. Yep it was. I said you’ve got to be kidding, shook my head, laughed, then walked out. This is the most outrageous tater/price gouging I’ve ever seen. The price on the WLW you ask?  $5,000.00. 

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife and I took a drive today cause we wanted to get away for a few hours. Yeah, we stopped at a couple of liquor stores. One store had ER for $49.99. I passed. That same store also had all the BTAC and Pappy’s way up high on a shelf behind the checkout counter. I asked what the price was on the WLW. The gal behind the counter told me. I couldn’t believe it, and asked if that was the right price. Yep it was. I said you’ve got to be kidding, shook my head, laughed, then walked out. This is the most outrageous tater/price gouging I’ve ever seen. The price on the WLW you ask?  $5,000.00. 

WOW!   ...Just wow!   Maybe for about 20-cases of WLW.     Let's see; 3-to-a-case, that equals 60-bottles... so about $83+ per bottle.   THAT would be worth pulling out the charge card, eh?   Five Grand for ONE bottle?  Uh-Uhhhhh!

• I like it 2

Didn't pass but missed out on a local grocery chain stocking of BT products including BT, ER, Blanton's, and Weller Full Proof. Their prices are usually at MSRP. A friend sent me a picture of what they had on the shelf. It had been posted on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe, that liquor store owner probably bought himself 40 cases of Wheatley Vodka just so he could get a bottle of WLW and a GTS. He kept the Stagg, now he has to sell the WLW for $5k to make up the deficit for the vodka. It's a helluva way to run a business!!

I went into an LLS earlier this year that had an impressive selection of bourbon, champagne, etc. on top shelves and in display cases.  CEHT Amaranth, 4R Al Young level stuff bourbon-wise.  Talked with the owner, and he wouldn’t even quote me prices.  Said he just likes to display his collection.  I was like ?

6 minutes ago, parksmart said:

I went into an LLS earlier this year that had an impressive selection of bourbon, champagne, etc. on top shelves and in display cases.  CEHT Amaranth, 4R Al Young level stuff bourbon-wise.  Talked with the owner, and he wouldn’t even quote me prices.  Said he just likes to display his collection.  I was like ?

Have you tried the Amaranth?  I don't think it belongs on the same level as Al...

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Joe, that liquor store owner probably bought himself 40 cases of Wheatley Vodka just so he could get a bottle of WLW and a GTS. He kept the Stagg, now he has to sell the WLW for $5k to make up the deficit for the vodka. It's a helluva way to run a business!!

This store had the whole BTAC and Pappy line. I told ‘em  I bought a WLW a year and a half ago for $119.99. I also left before I got too mad. What I was tempted to say was that the whole Pappy and BTAC  lineup wasn’t even close to being worth 5k. The really ironic thing was that our long drive took us to several towns and cities. As we drove through another town, we passed by another store that was very similar to the one I posted about. It was then that I remembered hearing that the same person or group owned stores in several smaller towns a bit of a drive from where I live. And yes, they’re all “tater” stores. Darned CRS. ?

• I like it 2

On 8/4/2020 at 10:46 PM, Sgtspitter101 said:

I thought she was mistaking, i asked twice. The trend i notice is the stores with the higher prices always have the best collection.

BAIT AND SWITCH.  An infamous store locally (with a North-facing window) displays their BTACs, but the prices are on the INSIDE side of the bottles.  Once you get in and gasp at the tags, they steer you quickly to mid-shelf stuff that is only SLIGHTLY higher in price than you can find if you check another half dozen stores in the neighborhood.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This store had the whole BTAC and Pappy line. I told ‘em  I bought a WLW a year and a half ago for $119.99. I also left before I got too mad. What I was tempted to say was that the whole Pappy and BTAC  lineup wasn’t even close to being worth 5k. The really ironic thing was that our long drive took us to several towns and cities. As we drove through another town, we passed by another store that was very similar to the one I posted about. It was then that I remembered hearing that the same person or group owned stores in several smaller towns a bit of a drive from where I live. And yes, they’re all “tater” stores. Darned CRS. ?

Here’s an addendum to my post.

I just had to know, so I did a little research. Six stores are owned by this particular group or entity. I’ve been to four of ‘em.:unsure: Having CRS sucks. These stores suck too. :angry: With my memory jogged, I remember one of their stores I visited a couple of years ago.They had Weller 12, but you could only buy it as part of a package deal. Weller 12, and two nondescript  pos’s for the low, low price of $150.00. 

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Have you tried the Amaranth?  I don't think it belongs on the same level as Al...

I haven’t had the Amaranth.  Love the AY50.  

My comment about the two was the price tier that they’re typically found in on the secondary market.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Here’s an addendum to my post.

I just had to know, so I did a little research. Six stores are owned by this particular group or entity. I’ve been to four of ‘em.:unsure: Having CRS sucks. These stores suck too. :angry: With my memory jogged, I remember one of their stores I visited a couple of years ago.They had Weller 12, but you could only buy it as part of a package deal. Weller 12, and two nondescript  pos’s for the low, low price of $150.00. 

I think if I owned a liquor store I would package these bottles with sacks of potatoes in elaborate gift baskets, just to be funny ?

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I think if I owned a liquor store I would package these bottles with sacks of potatoes in elaborate gift baskets, just to be funny ?

I like it!  ?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I see what you did there!

?

Passed on WT Decades Oloroso Sherry Cask and Ryes at about $200 each.  Was looking for the 17 yr. BIB, if that was available, I might have pulled the trigger.

I passed on the new Master Picke bottles that have shown up in Georgia this past week.  Got to try a sample of barrel #2, and while it was good it was not $150.00 good.  Not even close.  Took my Buffalo Trace sp and headed out of the store.

• I like it 2

Passed on a bottle of Kentucky Owl for $150.  Friend of mine calls me up and says that his liquor store has a bottle of Kentucky One for sale at $150.  I said that I have never heard of Kentucky One but let me do some quick research.  I found nothing, with several searches.  So the wife and I jump in the vehicle and off we go for a couple of days.  Then while driving over the friend sends me a text that it's not called Kentucky One but rather Kentucky Owl. 

I still don't know much about it, but bought a bottle of Knob Creek Rye 100Proof for the weekend adventures, which is quite good.  I haven't called my buddy back about the Kentucky Owl.  Maybe I should have pursued this one, but let it slip through my fingers given I was trying to research Kentucky One. 

Edited by Clay34

I have seen Kentucky Owl on the shelf in a big grocery store near me, and also recently was offered to participate in a lottery at another store that had it on a list.  It's around.

Here's the thing, it's sourced, so we don't know who made it.  It could even be a combination of sources.  That doesn't mean it tastes good or bad.  Rest assured though, the price of the product is marked up every step of the way.  That's how the price gets up to $150.

In my opinion the Knob Creek was a much more prudent allocation of your resources.  

I passed on the entire Benchmark lineup.  A local store advertised the 5 bottles - Top Floor, Bonded, Full Proof, Single Barrel and I believe Small Batch.  Each was less than $20 except the Single Barrel.

1 minute ago, PaulO said:

I have seen Kentucky Owl on the shelf in a big grocery store near me, and also recently was offered to participate in a lottery at another store that had it on a list.  It's around.

Here's the thing, it's sourced, so we don't know who made it.  It could even be a combination of sources.  That doesn't mean it tastes good or bad.  Rest assured though, the price of the product is marked up every step of the way.  That's how the price gets up to $150.

In my opinion the Knob Creek was a much more prudent allocation of your resources.  

I was down in Greenwood today and picked 6 bottles at the Kroger on Emerson. The selection is a little better than my local store.  We were st Costco so my wife didnt want to venture over to Bargersville. I bought 6 but only 5 made it safely into the house. A bottle of OF100 found iits way out of the bag onto the driveway.  It happens. Still I was saddened by its demise. The glass went everywhere.  I have yet to break, oops bad word, news to its twin.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was down in Greenwood today and picked 6 bottles at the Kroger on Emerson. The selection is a little better than my local store.  We were st Costco so my wife didnt want to venture over to Bargersville. I bought 6 but only 5 made it safely into the house. A bottle of OF100 found iits way out of the bag onto the driveway.  It happens. Still I was saddened by its demise. The glass went everywhere.  I have yet to break, oops bad word, news to its twin.

@fishnbowljoe We were visiting friends in Southport so we just cut down Raymond Street to Emerson and then through "the Grove."  I used to have a lot of friends from BGHS so it was like visiting my old stomping grounds.  Things have changed quite a bit.  My cousin lived off of Sherman by St. Francis Hospital.  I still work soccer games at the football field off of Main Street, a few blocks east of Sherman.  

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

@fishnbowljoe We were visiting friends in Southport so we just cut down Raymond Street to Emerson and then through "the Grove."  I used to have a lot of friends from BGHS so it was like visiting my old stomping grounds.  Things have changed quite a bit.  My cousin lived off of Sherman by St. Francis Hospital.  I still work soccer games at the football field off of Main Street, a few blocks east of Sherman.  

You stop at the Payless at Emerson and Thompson?;) On my trips to Bardstown, I sometimes stop at Emerson & 465 to take a break and eat. I’ve stopped at that store a few times. Bought a bottle or three also. ?

Biba! Joe

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You stop at the Payless at Emerson and Thompson?;) On my trips to Bardstown, I sometimes stop at Emerson & 465 to take a break and eat. I’ve stopped at that store a few times. Bought a bottle or three also. ?

Biba! Joe

I used to work at the K-Mart in the SE corner of that intersection.  There is still a Ponderosa Steakhouse!  I rarely stop at Payless anymore.  If I do, it is a newer one in Whitestown (Zionsville).  That area along I-65 has exploded.  There are a few independent stores along Emerson all the way down to County Line but that is @PaulO's area.  Emerson and Southport Road has exploded as well. Payless has a main store in the old Zayre building at US31 and National.  In your Indy days, I believe Obidaiah's was also in the same shopping center just north of Hanna.  Of course, the Huddle was there.  Do you remember Crossroads Lincoln Mercury with the Bobcat that someone shot an arrow into.  It was just across from Southern Plaza.  I worked at Dutch Oven Pies while in High School.  Oh, such a digression....Back on topic, I stocked up on bourbon but I also passed on a lot of nice bottles at good prices. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I used to work at the K-Mart in the SE corner of that intersection.  There is still a Ponderosa Steakhouse!  I rarely stop at Payless anymore.  If I do, it is a newer one in Whitestown (Zionsville).  That area along I-65 has exploded.  There are a few independent stores along Emerson all the way down to County Line but that is @PaulO's area.  Emerson and Southport Road has exploded as well. Payless has a main store in the old Zayre building at US31 and National.  In your Indy days, I believe Obidaiah's was also in the same shopping center just north of Hanna.  Of course, the Huddle was there.  Do you remember Crossroads Lincoln Mercury with the Bobcat that someone shot an arrow into.  It was just across from Southern Plaza.  I worked at Dutch Oven Pies while in High School.  Oh, such a digression....Back on topic, I stocked up on bourbon but I also passed on a lot of nice bottles at good prices. 

I’m  familiar with most of this. That Ponderosa was my dads favorite restaurant in the area. My dad set up security at Southern Plaza, and I remember the cougar at Crossroads before the arrow. Ahhhh the memories.

BTW, sorry about the OF 100. I know I’m gonna jinx myself, but I’ve never dropped and busted a bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.