What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started the Whiskey Advent today.  The format is that we receive a small pour in a bottle covered in wrapping paper so that it can be tasted completely blind, except for knowing that one drink that each individual donated to the cause appears somewhere in the lineup.  Today's pour had a very light appearance, and a bit of a young nose.  The first notes were minty, with a hint of pine.  The drink was clean, non-offensive, but not complex.  I did not recognize it and didn't even fashion an educated guess.

Reveal:  Recovery Rye (MGP).  90*; 27 month.  

It's actually fun trying to figure out what you guys are talking about without referring to the acronym thread.

And by fun I mean exhausting. :)

• I like it 1

Last night my wife and I went out to dinner and l ordered a couple of Old fashions with HW double rye. They were nice. When I got home I had a pour of CEHT BP which was even nicer.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Can't decide what to go with tonight so I think I'll have a short pour of EC12 to see how the palate is working tonight.

24 minutes ago, soulsea said:

It's actually fun trying to figure out what you guys are talking about without referring to the acronym thread.

We were all there once, grasshoppa.  Enjoy the journey!

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, soulsea said:

There’s a bunch of new ones, so this is far from a complete list.

Biba! Joe

On 12/11/2020 at 9:26 PM, BottledInBond said:

I tried a couple pours for the first time, Smoke Wagon and Remus Repeal Reserve batch 4. Both are MGP. The Smoke Wagon comes in a cool bottle and has some hype around it from some people, but the Remus was far superior whiskey. Pretty darn good whiskey in general. 

I have a Remus Repeal batch 2 and it's pretty darn good too.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There’s a bunch of new ones, so this is far from a complete list.

Biba! Joe

That's the acronym thread I was referring to.

But I try not to use the cheat sheet, and figure it out on my own ... between my ignorance and progressive drunkenness it gets a little challenging. :)

• I like it 1

image.thumb.jpg.bbef7cce265ac50936d7a03a07d35d2b.jpgHad some very good pours tonight while watching Tombstone with my son. One of my favorite western movies. 

• I like it 5

Tonight's first pour has been ECBP A119 while having a pair of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies the Misses whipped up Thursday. 

I think I'll get a pour of Four Square Nobilliary as my night cap. 

• I like it 2

On 12/11/2020 at 9:54 PM, Bourbon Boiler said:

Got to visit a friend's collection tonight.

Started with a sampling of the OF Whiskey Row Collection

Then a Pour of VOB

Then some Very Olde St. Nick

Finished with a Bakers 13.  

Not a bad evening.

Nice variety there. 

Cheers 

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Wife is out of town so I'm firmly planted on the couch and watching college football.

Had some EHTBP and then followed with a few year old bottle of Stagg Jr.

EHTBP gets the hype but right now Jr. is kicking it's butt.

Some good info.  Unfortunately around here it is currently a moot point, because those dang Tater Tots are clearing out both. 

But don't cry for 'ole Wedel, I've got more of those bunkered than my liver can handle. ;-))

Cheers

My palate may have been slightly off this evening. Had a pour of a ps Larceny to start the evening. Meh. Followed that with a pour of Weller SR. Hmmm. Ended with a pour of BT. Mmmmm. ? Ya’ just never know. :blink:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Sipping on a blend of 4 parts WSR and 1 part J. Magnus and knew I needed to find something special to pair it with.  Ramped it up for onion/anchovy pizzas, toasted seseme seeds under the crust and a light sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese over the mozzarella.  (my diet for the rest of the week).

Cheers...

1212201215b.jpg

• I like it 5

4 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I've tried to tell other people about anchovies ? they don't believe me - so good on pizza.

Ain’t that the truth!  Bret2 ‘s pic’s got me a hankerin’ to open a can.  I’ve loved them on pizza since I was a kid.  Eat them straight out of the can, even.  Goes really well on crispy thin crust!

• I like it 2

After yesterday's 'unpleasantness'  I am persevering with the KC15 with my afternoon snack.

This is one of my faves of all the 2020 releases, and my favorite KC iteration to date.

IMG-6068.jpg

• I like it 1

Stagg Jr. batch 13.  Just a couple more pours left in this bottle, so it will be my next two drinks sometime in the following days as well.  Working on thinning out the opened herd before moving on to some of the ones waiting in the wings.

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've tried to tell other people about anchovies ? they don't believe me - so good on pizza.

I always assumed it was a regional thing and more popular on East Coast.  It adds a nice saltiness and flavor.  I have had more than a few simple anchovie pies along with several mixed with other toppings and "around-the-world" pies.  I would take anchovies over buffalo chicken pies.  As I get older, I find that I prefer less sauce and cheese and more toppings.  I like plenty of pork type toppings - sausage, ham, bacon and plenty of vegetables - onions, peppers, mushroom and olives.  The funny thing is you seem to get less of each topping the more toppings you order even though the price per topping is the same.

Back on topic.  I am winding down another crazy weekend with a nice pour of OGDBIB.  I found it for $19.99 locally so I have been grabbing some whenever I visit this particular grocery store.  I get what @squire likes about it.  I believe I will follow up with a  nice pour of MM101 as I prepare for an evening of Hallmark/Lifetime movies.  Too bad I won't get to see the Steelers-Bills game.  But, bourbon, the internet and headphones will help me keep up on what is going on in the world.  I might even form an opinion or two but will probably forget what they were by the time I go to bed.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Sipping on a blend of 4 parts WSR and 1 part J. Magnus and knew I needed to find something special to pair it with.  Ramped it up for onion/anchovy pizzas, toasted seseme seeds under the crust and a light sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese over the mozzarella.  (my diet for the rest of the week).

Cheers...

1212201215b.jpg

I might have to try anchovy again.  I hated them as a kid, and I'm honestly not sure I ever tried again.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.