What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, parksmart said:

LLS had:

SAOS Rye 4 year 117.6 proof - $49.99

HH BIB 7 year - $49.99

HMcK10 - $59.99

ECBP B520 - $69.99

Blanton’s - $129.99

I think that’s pretty much the MSRP on the ECBP now, no?

15 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

If it is, then I’m like ? at the price increase.  

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

It's interesting how it changes market to market. At tge beginning of October I bought some for $55. But other places I see it for $65-$70. 

$70 is fair to me.

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

If it is, then I’m like ? at the price increase.  

I’m with you. 

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It's interesting how it changes market to market. At tge beginning of October I bought some for $55. But other places I see it for $65-$70. 

$70 is fair to me.

Most recent release at my local was $76 OTD, which they say is their standard markup above the state warehouse wholesale price. It used to be an automatic buy for me around $55, but $20 more is bit too much for my taste. To each their own, as they say.

Prices on ECBP are just crazy here in my neck of the woods. It ranges from $45.99 to $79.99, and there’s no rhyme nor reason at all.  ?

Bib! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Prices on ECBP are just crazy here in my neck of the woods. It ranges from $45.99 to $79.99, and there’s no rhyme nor reason at all.  ?

Bib! Joe

Well at 45.99 I would consider that a back up the truck price.

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

$70 is fair to me.

Yeah..ECBP has been $60 - $65 here for years! You will occasionally find it in the $55 range but that's the exception more than the rule. I see at the gouger stores for $99 pretty often.

ECBP does have a wide range of prices regionally.  But really, I'd put it up against anything else under $100 that's semi available. Bar none.

• I like it 1

What I find slightly interesting and entertaining here is how little respect ECBP gets sometimes.

People will gladly argue all day about Stagg JR being worth secondary,

and Bookers being a score at $75 or whatever it is now,

but ECBP is fantastic whiskey, arguably some of the best stuff from Heaven Hill coming out right now.

I mean let’s be honest.... it’s a bit underpriced at $45-70 for how great it is.

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

What I find slightly interesting and entertaining here is how little respect ECBP gets sometimes.

but ECBP is fantastic whiskey, arguably some of the best stuff from Heaven Hill coming out right now.

I mean let’s be honest.... it’s a bit underpriced at $45-70 for how great it is.

Let’s try to keep it that way before HH decides to do what they did with HH BiB to it

1 minute ago, webfoots said:

Let’s try to keep it that way before HH decides to do what they did with HH BiB to it

Good point!

17 minutes ago, webfoots said:

word. I have a # of different releases of this, and it's certainly one of my available favorites, but I did stop in a small store in a small town i was passing through, and they had some B520 bottles for 55$. Bought on principle. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

ECBP does have a wide range of prices regionally.  But really, I'd put it up against anything else under $100 that's semi available. Bar none.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Now I feel like I need to run some expensive tests by tracking down some more ECBP, Bookers, Stagg Jr., OF1920, maybe a RRSiB? Now that would make for a super fun tasting evening.

Well, if I strike out on LEs this year, at least I’ve got a new idea on how to spend that allotted part of my whiskey budget! 

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Added 1920 to my list
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Couldn’t agree more!  ECBP is $59 at my local store and well worth the price and almost always being available.  Only complaint is here in NY we get the batches much later than most.  I purchased the toasted barrel today for the first time and I think it’s AMAZING as well. I know that may be unpopular opinion.  Love what HH is doing with Elijah.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Maybe for the ECBP C920, but a fellow SBer in the "Live Free or Die" state up north got us a bountiful supply of the B520 for $59.99 OTD.  Rather be lucky than good, eh?   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Maybe for the ECBP C920, but a fellow SBer in the "Live Free or Die" state up north got us a bountiful supply of the B520 for $59.99 OTD.  Rather be lucky than good, eh?   ?

Same price in Ohio - when you can find it - plus the Governors share.   Still a great deal.

I believe I paid either $49.99 or $54.99 for the one I bought. It started off decent, but went south for me. I gave Galvin0791 what was left of that bottle.

Some bottles seem to get a little better after being open a while. Some are the opposite. A number of HH bottlings fall into the latter category for me. Not sure why this is. ECBP, Larceny, and even regular EC seem to “flatten out” after being open a few days. Even a recently purchased/ opened  ps EC that I really liked upon opening has changed. The only notable exception was a ps Larceny I bought a few weeks ago at the same time as the EC. Weird. I have a feeling Mike might be getting another bottle from me soon.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I’m primarily basing my valuation in the C919 I finished last weekend, which was... fine? IDK, I nursed that bottle a long time and it wasn’t because I was trying to savor it, just not excited to reach for it very often. For me personally, there is a lot of legitimate semi-available (and more difficult to find) competition under $70. 

Ironically, I’m pretty big on a number of other HH products that are all lower proof offerings. Maybe I just can’t handle the high octane. 

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Typo

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I’m primarily basing my valuation in the C919 I finished last weekend, which was... fine? IDK, I nursed that bottle a long time and it wasn’t because I was trying to savor it, just not excited to reach for it very often.

Yet another "wow palates are different" post. I thought C919 was fantastic!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Yet another "wow palates are different" post. I thought C919 was fantastic!

One thing I love about this hobby is that it’s great when I prove myself wrong! I’m sure I’ll be drinking some more ECBP at some point in the future, and I hope that will be the case. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It started off decent, but went south for me. I gave Galvin0791 what was left of that bottle.

Some bottles seem to get a little better after being open a while. Some are the opposite. A number of HH bottlings fall into the latter category for me. Not sure why this is. ECBP, Larceny, and even regular EC seem to “flatten out” after being open a few days.

Biba! Joe

“Weller palate fatigue”.... be careful guys.... don’t let it happen to you !

?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

“Weller palate fatigue”.... be careful guys.... don’t let it happen to you !

?

Oh you guys from Mizzou.... ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 11/19/2020 at 8:36 PM, Kepler said:

I just bought the B520 for $80 at a small LS in SW Florida. Typical price down there seems to be $70, so to me it was worth it. I like that release, my 2nd bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.