What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sipping on WTKS, delicious. A little more detail in the "What did you open  today, 2021" thread. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

That OCBIB in your photo is one that they had a lot of thought it wasn't from the 70's! (I bet that's amazing).

I was close to sobbing and tried every way I could think of to convince them to sell me some of those bottles to no avail.

What was so great about this place is they had figured out how popular PVW and BTAC had become and had raised prices accordingly.

The high rollers would buy those while ignoring all the dusties. I'd sit at the bar and laugh while drinking these amazing whiskies from yesteryear at a fraction of the price.

They were intent on finding a new location and reopening. Alas that never happened. Those bottles are sitting in storage somewhere and that makes me sad.

😢

4 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Some cheapy Old Ezra 90 proof while enjoying an episode of “The Wire” in my new bourbon and cigar man corner in the garage.

1D1E6144-B8DD-497D-9338-7B8AB0DA118B.jpeg

Looks great!

Had a pour of local private pick Larceny earlier, while me and the Mrs. finished off watching the final episode of Ken Burns' Vietnam series.  Love me some Ken Burns films.

Just poured some Little book 3 now.  

• I like it 2

I finally finished my project. 😓 (For the most part.:unsure:)  I had pour of Pappy 15, followed by a pour of 2017 WLW. I’ll post some pics tomorrow. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Finishing off the night with a pour of WTRB 108.2 batch.   I think the new 116 proof batch may actually be better, but man oh man, this one is like an old friend.   Such a familiar flavor, incredibly rich Wild Turkey goodness.   One of my all time favorite bottlings.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Sipping on WTKS, delicious. A little more detail in the "What did you open  today, 2021" thread. 

Cheers

I was right, this bottle is going too quick tonight. So I switched to a standard RRSIB. Very good pour, but not up to the Kentucky Spirit.  Makes a good bottle buffer to the WTKS.

Cheers

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Finishing off the night with a pour of WTRB 108.2 batch.   I think the new 116 proof batch may actually be better, but man oh man, this one is like an old friend.   Such a familiar flavor, incredibly rich Wild Turkey goodness.   One of my all time favorite bottlings.

The 116.8 is really good. But, I still prefer those WTRB-03 gems. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

The 116.8 is really good. But, I still prefer those WTRB-03 gems. 

Cheers

Yeah.  I've avoided ever doing a SBS because I see no reason to choose between the two.  Can't buy more 108.2 RB-03 anyway, and they are so different it just comes down to what mood I'm in.   But the 108.2 is such a familiar flavor, I'm always drawn to it whenever I go back to it.

Just now, Kepler said:

Yeah.  I've avoided ever doing a SBS because I see no reason to choose between the two.  Can't buy more 108.2 RB-03 anyway, and they are so different it just comes down to what mood I'm in.   But the 108.2 is such a familiar flavor, I'm always drawn to it whenever I go back to it.

Good point. Best to enjoy them on their own.  

Cheers

Just now, Wedelstaedt said:

Good point. Best to enjoy them on their own.  

Cheers

Edit:  Because, the two are so different. 

(Has the edit feature been disabled?)

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Looks to me like it has.  Maybe a moderator can comment on that.

5 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Edit:  Because, the two are so different. 

Cheers

No, the "edit feature" is now under the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner of your recent post.  Just click on the dots!  Ask me how I know . . . .   🤣

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

No, the "edit feature" is now under the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner of your recent post.  Just click on the dots!  Ask me how I know . . . .   🤣

You’re a funny man Frank. 🙃

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Didn't think the Browns had a chance today and it sure started out that way. Then Mahomes got hurt and suddenly the Browns had a chance. Didn't quite get it done but they made it interesting. To all the Chiefs fans I hope Mahomes can go next week and I'll be rooting for you.

Despite the disappointment, the Browns had a great season that surpassed all expectations. The best part is they finally have a great coach and front office for the first time since they came back. They are going to be good for a while.

So, I'm toasting a great season and the future with some George T Stagg.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Didn't think the Browns had a chance today and it sure started out that way. Then Mahomes got hurt and suddenly the Browns had a chance. Didn't quite get it done but they made it interesting. To all the Chiefs fans I hope Mahomes can go next week and I'll be rooting for you.

Hey Steve,

I won't tell SWMBO that you'll be rooting for the Chiefs in case we meet up next April in Bardstown.  She's from Buffalo Buffalo - born in Millard Fillmore Hospital on Delaware Avenue.  Guess who she's rooting for . . . . .  🤣

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

Despite the disappointment, the Browns had a great season that surpassed all expectations. The best part is they finally have a great coach and front office for the first time since they came back. They are going to be good for a while.

So, I'm toasting a great season and the future with some George T Stagg.

It was a good game even if Romo was shrieking like a school girl at the end.  I loved the last 4th down play call to pick up the first down and ice the game. 

Having a nice pour of FRSB tonight.  This is one of the best standard bottles I have had of FRSB over the past few years.  Sweet cherry pie with a hint of oak on the palate and a nice long spicy finish.  Quintessential Four Roses.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

15 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It was a good game even if Romo was shrieking like a school girl at the end.  I loved the last 4th down play call to pick up the first down and ice the game. 

Having a nice pour of FRSB tonight.  This is one of the best standard bottles I have had of FRSB over the past few years.  Sweet cherry pie with a hint of oak on the palate and a nice long spicy finish.  Quintessential Four Roses.

Ha! I love Mahomes and Reid so I'd normally be applauding that play. Tonight I was cursing!

That 4RSiB sounds amazing - just exactly how I expect it to be. SO happy to see that they are back.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Steve,

I won't tell SWMBO that you'll be rooting for the Chiefs in case we meet up next April in Bardstown.  She's from Buffalo Buffalo - born in Millard Fillmore Hospital on Delaware Avenue.  Guess who she's rooting for . . . . .  🤣

Do NOT tell her. I don't want to be watching my back all weekend in Bardstown!

• I like it 1

I wanted to kill this last remaining bit in the bottle as it’s been open a long time, but just couldn’t.  Saving one last pour...Damn, it’s great whiskey, even at this low fill.  Thick, creamy, and luscious.  Crusted brown sugar for days with caramel and coconut.  The only downside of these last pours, is that the oak is a little more dominant.  The thing about these old ORVW 15s is that the age was so well integrated.  Still, after many years open, this whiskey is superb.  

DFF73605-4E9A-4D60-9DFF-9131A8354F16.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 1/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

That Ezra 90 is a real under the radar goodie.  I pick it up once/twice a year for about $15 for a family size.  A lot more to it than the price would lead one to believe.  Totally dig your corner of whiskey/cigar Nirvana there, too!  

That Old Ezra 90 proof is really good. For the money - and I’ve been dipping into the bottom shelf a good bit lately - it more than holds it’s own. 

If I’m not mistaken, that Old Ezra 90 proof is basically Lincoln County processed Heaven Hill whiskey. And being a hefty HH fan, it’s certainly a nice addition to the HH rotation. 

In fact anyone looking for a JD black or gentleman jack upgrade - something charcoal filtered - Ezra 90 is less money and quite frankly, more delicious. 

Edited by Rhettro
Grammar

Wow! Tough follow. 

Turn the big 4-0 today. Starting with some WSR to warm the palate while I wait for the wife to get home. With COVID preventing me from celebrating with any of my bourbon tribe she is stepping in for tonight. 

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wow! Tough follow. 

Turn the big 4-0 today. Starting with some WSR to warm the palate while I wait for the wife to get home. With COVID preventing me from celebrating with any of my bourbon tribe she is stepping in for tonight. 

Happy Birthday Ben! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Started with a New Riff SiB PS at 109 proof.  Really good for a 4 year old bourbon.  Followed that with one of my favorites, Baker's and finishing up with a 9 yr. OBSF 4R at 120 proof.

After kids went down enjoyed a quiet night on the couch while sharing a few special pours with my wife. 

The OFBB was the winner for both of us. Burnt brown sugar on the nose gave way to a viscous luscious palate. The PVW20 was a close second HUGE nose of cherry and red summer fruits that could be smelled 24 inches from my nose.  I forgot until afterwards that the 20 is 90.4pf and not the 107 that the 15 and OR10 are. As a result I erred in my pouring order and should have started with the Pappy instead of the 105pf OFBB

The OFBiB was tried in between and was absolutely forgettable. Young corn & yeast on both the nose and the palate.  Overall this BiB series has not impressed me. The bottle is beautiful, but the bourbon itself lackluster. Think we are now 6 releases in plus a few distillery only and the 15yr is the only one that has gotten mostly positive reviews.  

C4C99D17-6AFF-4039-8422-81112CB2A6B0.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
Add picture!
  • I like it 10

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.