What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, BigSkyDrams said:

Had the same last night. Really disappointed that it got so much hype a few years back and became scarce, because I really like it... but I guess that just means the hype is justified.

A ls about an hour drive from me keeps 2 or 3 bottles in most of the time. The owner told me a lot of times a guy buys the whole case before it gets to the shelf.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

4R - OESF for the evening.

image.jpg

Never seen a Canadian Glencairn like that before. Super cool.

• I like it 2

Ran out of firewood so I called my guy. He said he had cherry that he normally sell to restaurants which he cannot sell as the restaurants are closed down ordered a half cor which they delivered and dump on my front lawn. Spent the next 2.5 hours stacking wood. Then came in , built a fire and had some EC barbell proof. Life is so good. 

• I like it 7

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Never seen a Canadian Glencairn like that before. Super cool.

My preferred glass. Misread your post as if you didn’t know that style of glass. Agree with you on his, super cool. 

Edited by DontDrinkTheLabel

2019 FRSmbLE.  I have been working on bottles with lower fills lately, and this one has about a third left.  Trying to cut down on the number of opened bottles to a maintainable level for myself to handle since I am the primary consumer of the fine brown liquid in the home.

• I like it 1

In case you are wondering.

Got this for Christmas from the SIL. No one finished their pour, but I decided to give it another try...

It is very consistent...

20210128_162629.jpg.277e89f8da2fc1dbe4241d4081d9f369.jpg

Nose = Light fruit with a bit of funk

Front End = A bit of Funk

Mid Palate = More Funky

Back End = Heavy Funk w/ a treated 2X4

Finish = Very Short (thank the heavens)

OK, the SIL hates me. I think I'll take him snipe hunting!!!

MM101 to the rescue...

• I like it 1

A 12yr bourbon from California sold by TW (not "Spirits Direct", tho').  A recipe for hours of great drinking!   😞

• I like it 1

Decided to clean out some bottles from the cabinet that have been there too long.  Old Scout, Single Barrel, Cask Strenght, 118.6 proof, 2 ounce pour.  Been open . to the best of my recollection for  4+ years, and it is DELICIOUS!  I mean, really good.  Pre-dinner sip, prior to tonight's hockey game which is the backend of a back-to-back series (Flyers v Devils).  Life is indeed very good.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

A 12yr bourbon from California sold by TW (not "Spirits Direct", tho').  A recipe for hours of great drinking!   😞

Thanx G.

Now I'm starting to feel the love. No wait, that's the KC120 kicking in... 😎🤟

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Thanx G.

Now I'm starting to feel the love. No wait, that's the KC120 kicking in... 😎🤟

🤣

12 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

🤣

Yeah.  THAT's how it goes.  Just for fun, with Pitchers and Catchers reporting in a couple of weeks IF WE ARE LUCKY, after dinner I hit the bunker and pulled out a somewhat dusty KC 9YR.  The Nats sell mostly Beam at Nats Park.  I am priming myself.  Uh, yeah, we had Teelings before dinner, but that was BEFORE dinner.  This is AFTER!

• I like it 3

24 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yeah.  THAT's how it goes.  Just for fun, with Pitchers and Catchers reporting in a couple of weeks IF WE ARE LUCKY, after dinner I hit the bunker and pulled out a somewhat dusty KC 9YR.  The Nats sell mostly Beam at Nats Park.  I am priming myself.  Uh, yeah, we had Teelings before dinner, but that was BEFORE dinner.  This is AFTER!

You referring to the Irish whisky?

TW had a 14 year Teeling single barrel, I didn’t want to pay the -$100 asking price though. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

In case you are wondering.

Got this for Christmas from the SIL. No one finished their pour, but I decided to give it another try...

It is very consistent...

20210128_162629.jpg.277e89f8da2fc1dbe4241d4081d9f369.jpg

Nose = Light fruit with a bit of funk

Front End = A bit of Funk

Mid Palate = More Funky

Back End = Heavy Funk w/ a treated 2X4

Finish = Very Short (thank the heavens)

OK, the SIL hates me. I think I'll take him snipe hunting!!!

MM101 to the rescue...

Funk as a music genre is ok but as a bourbon characteristic not so much.

• I like it 2

Since my evening started with Knob Creek at the bar while waiting on my dinner to go, I decided to stay with Beam at home.

A friend gave me this concoction over a year ago.

Equal parts of each/all of those specialty 375ml bottles that Beam did a few years back.

Crazy complex and delicious!

3936ECCC-A413-4C08-B77F-6103F18EDD5E.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Richdel said:

Decided to clean out some bottles from the cabinet that have been there too long.  Old Scout, Single Barrel, Cask Strenght, 118.6 proof, 2 ounce pour.  Been open . to the best of my recollection for  4+ years, and it is DELICIOUS!  I mean, really good.  Pre-dinner sip, prior to tonight's hockey game which is the backend of a back-to-back series (Flyers v Devils).  Life is indeed very good.

Those Old Scouts were really good. 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Those Old Scouts were really good. 

^are

:)

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, mal00768 said:

You referring to the Irish whisky?

TW had a 14 year Teeling single barrel, I didn’t want to pay the -$100 asking price though. 

Yes - Teeling Single Grain finished in "ex-wine barrels".  It was NOT $100.  IIRC, John Teeling started distilling in late 1980s under the Cooley brand.  After Beam bought the Cooley distillery in 2011/2012, John T. founded another distillery, and two of his children founded the "Teeling" brand and sold/sell aged distillate originally distilled at Cooley under an agreement with Beam to have access to that whiskey.  Pretty sure they built or are building their own distillery in Dublin.  A 14 YO Teeling released lately  likely was distilled at Cooley before the sale of Cooley to Beam.

I hope that's mostly correct.  I still have one Michael Collins Single Malt and a half bottle of the MC blend from the late 1990s, I think.

Sorry for the thread drift - I know it's supposed to be about bourbon, but . . .

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yes - Teeling Single Grain finished in "ex-wine barrels".  It was NOT $100.  IIRC, John Teeling started distilling in late 1980s under the Cooley brand.  After Beam bought the Cooley distillery in 2011/2012, John T. founded another distillery, and two of his children founded the "Teeling" brand and sold/sell aged distillate originally distilled at Cooley under an agreement with Beam to have access to that whiskey.  Pretty sure they built or are building their own distillery in Dublin.  A 14 YO Teeling released lately  likely was distilled at Cooley before the sale of Cooley to Beam.

I hope that's mostly correct.  I still have one Michael Collins Single Malt and a half bottle of the MC blend from the late 1990s, I think.

Sorry for the thread drift - I know it's supposed to be about bourbon, but . . .

Interesting stuff!

I've been trying my hand at blending lately.  Tonight I'm going four parts Very Old Barton to one part 2011 THH.  Whether it's worth the weighted average price is debatable, but it works as far as the blend goes.  Initial taste is peppery and has a punch, and then it gradually fades into the older rye notes with a very long finish.  

• I like it 1

Opened with a pour of standard 9-year KC.  Solid bourbon.  Unfortunately, the price continues to creep up in my area.  I can still find it in the mid-to-upper $20s.  But, I am starting to see it above $30 at some stores that are generally reasonably priced.

Followed up with a pour of Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  It was the last pour of the bottle.  I have really enjoyed this bottle.  I have mentioned previously I found a bottle for $65 at Costco.  It was in their glass case so they had a limited supply.  I have recently seen it several bottles deep at a few stores ranging in price between $75 and $85.  One store is having a 20% off sale so I believe I will grab another bottle.  I am a cheap bastard but I will still grab something nice if I can get a great price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.