What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

WTRB (116.8pf) x 2.  Is it bedtime yet???   😊

Nope, you deserve one more.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yes - Teeling Single Grain finished in "ex-wine barrels".  It was NOT $100.  IIRC, John Teeling started distilling in late 1980s under the Cooley brand.  After Beam bought the Cooley distillery in 2011/2012, John T. founded another distillery, and two of his children founded the "Teeling" brand and sold/sell aged distillate originally distilled at Cooley under an agreement with Beam to have access to that whiskey.  Pretty sure they built or are building their own distillery in Dublin.  A 14 YO Teeling released lately  likely was distilled at Cooley before the sale of Cooley to Beam.

I hope that's mostly correct.  I still have one Michael Collins Single Malt and a half bottle of the MC blend from the late 1990s, I think.

Sorry for the thread drift - I know it's supposed to be about bourbon, but . . .

Do you think this SB Teeling is Cooley? 
7769A264-0D12-4E67-8F0B-1CF80BE42F5F.thumb.jpeg.28e0d5ee197b489a9d4db511ad294463.jpeg

BT store pick was pretty darn tasty. Great nose, brown sugar forward palate with a good amount of herbal and oaky notes mixed in (a profile I associate with ER, but which can be over pronounced in some bottles — here it was just right).

I have an EHT SmB recently opened as well, so I’m thinking I might have to do a blind SBS or triangle test with the BT soon, see if I can’t refine my impressions a little more.

• I like it 1

Oh NO, I just popped open my most recent bottle of Turkey 101.  Little spice, no zip.   Looked at the wife and said "it's not the same."  Was hopping that this day was a long way away. 

This has been for a long time a crazy good value.  Today was my first let down.

Official:  Bummer man  😨

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Wow, don’t know how that happened 

I fixed it. 😉

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, flahute said:

2017 WLW. Yes, this will work nicely.

Yeah WLW usually works in a pinch, Lol

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Clay34 said:

Oh NO, I just popped open my most recent bottle of Turkey 101.  Little spice, no zip.   Looked at the wife and said "it's not the same."  Was hopping that this day was a long way away. 

I sure hope you’re just having an off-palate day, or that bottle was defective or something, because that would be heart breaking if it were a universal decline.

9 hours ago, Clay34 said:

What's the date code part on the laser code (etched just below the back label)?  I recently opened one that's dated LL/IH (August 2020) and, even after 2/3s of the bottle, it's somewhat disappointing.  Not bad but definitely not up to some of the stellar bottles from 2018. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

2017 WLW. Yes, this will work nicely.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yeah WLW usually works in a pinch, Lol

7 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Haha

I have a 2018 WLW open. It is on deck, and ready, willing and able for service later tonight. Stay tuned. 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Clay34 said:

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

What's the date code part on the laser code (etched just below the back label)?  I recently opened one that's dated LL/IH (August 2020) and, even after 2/3s of the bottle, it's somewhat disappointing.  Not bad but definitely not up to some of the stellar bottles from 2018. 

This is very interesting, but also concerning.  I too, had an unexpected disappointing recently purchased WT bottle.  Your bottle code is similar/the same.  The “IH” part was smeared and I couldn’t exactly determine what it was, but could certainly could have been that.    I described it as “grassy”.  Not bad, but not to the standard of previous bottles for sure.  

33 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Lot’s of snow on the way. I am prepared. 😬

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.f576c93e748cba9ec86a5526493e02de.jpeg

A 2018 WLW with earmuffs and a scarf - I need one of those . . . . .  WLWs, that is!   😉

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, GeeTen said:

WTRB (116.8pf) x 2.  Is it bedtime yet???   😊

It is ALWAYS bedtime.  Only question is, will I get in it?:o

Providence @ Georgetown trading baskets with 2 minutes to play.  OGDBIB 1 ounce to calm my nerves.<_<

• I like it 2

KC 9 is not even drinking!!!

This new found philosophy has allowed a mid afternoon pour, guilt free. After all, it is Saturday!!!

Cheers...

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

LL/IB or18 followed by201127, so help me understand this code.  Bottle date of 11/27/2020?

Note, next pour was slightly better, but I have had some 101 that is just a shocker at this price point and it puts an exceptionally large smile on my face. 

Also bought some Longbranch, and my wife enjoys the lower proof.  I would rather drink the 101 or Rare Breed. 

This is mine LL/IA301447

It’s just as tasty as any other WT101 bottling I’ve swigged from. 

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

KC 9 is not even drinking!!!

This new found philosophy has allowed a mid afternoon pour, guilt free. After all, it is Saturday!!!

Cheers...

I recall that somebody earlier posted that new KC 9yr is now going for around $30.  Back when (and this is not bragging because at the time I thought I'd WAY overbought) I loaded up with pre-NAS KC at about $23  per 750.  I fully agree that KC 9, even with its rough edges, is drinkable anytime.

And on entirely different subject --

ANYWAY!  Georgetown won by a point, BUT I did not celebrate.  Rather, I used the euphoria to do some prep for the heavy snow  (well, 6-8 inches) we are expecting tonight - rearranged the cars so I can drive the main one away from the house before I clean it off in order to reduce shoveling the parking space, found the snow shovel, brought the car snowbrush in the house, and got my heavy gloves out of the spider web corner of the garage.  What I sipping on?  DO NOT LAUGH!!  As part of my New Year's resolution of reducing bunker clunkers, I opened my remaining Smooth Ambler Big Level.  WHY??  Just watched "On the Waterfront" and am now watching "Captain Blood".  I've seen them enough that I do not have to pay attention and can, in some scenes, do ALL the dialogue.   SO, I be paying attention to the action on the small screen rather than what my taste buds be saying.

EDIT - Oh, yeah, what Bayouredd said - IT IS SATURDAY.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
forgot my point for posting so added it
  • I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

As part of my New Year's resolution of reducing bunker clunkers, I opened my remaining Smooth Ambler Big Level.  WHY?? 

I do like the term 'bunker clunker', and Big Level is certainly that. Bottled vomit from start to finish. 

I'm sipping on some Baker's tonight. No vom in sight unless I have too much. 

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.