What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BD (bottle dwindling) has me pouring an extremely average restaurant pick of WR. Not terrible; just glad to rid myself of average.

I do have to hold on to the bottle itself as it is an engraved Father's Day bottle. No worries; will fill it with a TW select WR that happens to be the most complex WR I've had. 

Edited by bayouredd

74dgf on the deck at 6pm, decided to have my  version of the Bourbon smash.  Used a bunch of fruit we picked up this morning, along with 10year Rebel Yell.  Had two of them while the chicken was on the smoker.  Damn they were good.  Almost made me forget dinner was on the smoker.  Enjoying the weather, because it is April in the Mid-Atlantic, which mean here today and gone tomorrow.

• I like it 3

Had a pour of KC and JB Distiller's Cut side by side; the JBDC has opened up quite a bit since opening about a month ago, when it lost by a wide margin. Trying to decide whether to pick up more of it, since it's obviously discontinued and will not see it again (there's a place nearby that has a couple bottles left).

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

74dgf on the deck at 6pm, decided to have my  version of the Bourbon smash.  Used a bunch of fruit we picked up this morning, along with 10year Rebel Yell.  Had two of them while the chicken was on the smoker.  Damn they were good.  Almost made me forget dinner was on the smoker.  Enjoying the weather, because it is April in the Mid-Atlantic, which mean here today and gone tomorrow.

Thanks @Richdel. 🙄 It was snowing lightly just a little bit ago here in northern Illinois. 🥶

Biba! Joe

On 4/17/2021 at 9:35 PM, Wedelstaedt said:

The proof is 136.  As far as a batch number, back then the bottles weren't designated in that manner, if memory serves. 

Seems like I picked it up in 2016. 

So if you want to give it a number, probably C916. 

Bottom line, it is an amazing whiskey. 

Cheers. 

I just realized that you said 136 proof... That's wildly insane. 3 drinks and you'll forget your name haha

On 4/19/2021 at 12:41 AM, steven s said:

finishing the last of the bottles that were sent out for a virtual blind (for 4 of the 5 people at least) tasting earlier tonight. ECBP C920 unanimously and solidly annihilated a recent Bookers. Pigskin Batch?, I think it was.

That c920 is a different animal, for sure. I put it in a blind against a Stagg Jr, Booker's Pigskin, and Penelope Bourbon barrel strength and it was a blood bath.

• I like it 1

I had a pour of Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  I really like this bourbon.  However, it wasn't hitting the spot tonight.  Maybe because I had a pour from a newly opened bottle or maybe because I am tired.  I didn't particularly like the first few pours from the first bottle I had but enjoyed it after it had a little air time.  This one will sit for a while before I revisit.  

I followed up with a pour of Big Red Liquors' Rossville Union Sweet Rye blend which is their highest corn rye.  Drinks like a bourbon.  This is my third bottle.  At $24.99, I will look for more.  My local store ran out.  I bought the last one.  Yes, I cleared the shelf.  But, there was only one bottle.  This is one of my favorite "new" whiskeys.  It is a blended rye they developed for their Bourbon World event last year. 

The Wild Turkey 101 in my glass tonight is tasting so good that I'm wondering why I pay more for anything else.

I know the answer of course but it's always nice to be reminded how good the value bourbons can really be.

• I like it 7

WT101 is the best value for my bourbon bucks!  

KC9 is a close second.  

I've said it before, this is my "scratch the itch" bourbon when I go into a shop for retail therapy and all they have is overpriced fufu crap.  

Keep Calm and Gobble On.  

• I like it 3

Two fingers of a single barrel select OWA.

I think this is going to be a good start...

• I like it 2

Little ER from a not so little bottle on the new house bar. I’ve told the wife the bottles out here are fair game in case anyone’s over when I’m not around and wants a pour. Better safe than sorry!

3CBD4C5E-66D2-43AD-9B44-BC41F7499DF7.jpeg

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, flahute said:

The Wild Turkey 101 in my glass tonight is tasting so good that I'm wondering why I pay more for anything else.

I know the answer of course but it's always nice to be reminded how good the value bourbons can really be.

Zen. 

I too enjoy my fancy LE and the Pappiez of the world. But it’s the daily drinkers that do the real heavy lifting. 

• I like it 3

On 4/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Phil T said:

Alright Jeff! Looking forward to your food and drink posts from the RV park.

Yep,  I just wish it would warm up.  It hit 21 this week but luckily we missed the snow that hit southern Michigan.  Should be in the mid-70s early next week.  We are riding the spring roller coaster of temps.  Ready to get off.

D

22435EA1-3CE7-40E1-9BF0-F82F7AEE80AB.jpeg

8BADD5B8-E087-4982-BC35-4723E1097C0D.jpeg

Did not finish my previous post.   I am working on my bottle of Blade and Bow this week.  Usually a small pour in the evening to keep the cold at bay.  Woke up this morning with a frozen water line at the RV.  I had left a faucet dripping the last few nights but it was turned off sometime during last night. THe guilty party will remain unnamed.

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

The guilty party will remain unnamed.

That, my friend, is a very good choice.   😇

• I like it 3

Got my 2nd shot today. Only one symptom so far...

It made me crave another shot, soooo...

KC Blend should do. 💪😎

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Got my 2nd shot today. Only one symptom so far...

It made me crave another shot, soooo...

KC Blend should do. 💪😎

Yep that is an adverse event that no one has talked about.  That a covid shot causes increased alcohol consumption.

• I like it 1

Some JW Dant, then a pour of ECBP B519. An excellent and enjoyable progression.

• I like it 3

Very long day working today.  I deserve a pour.  This 2015 Michter's bourbon that's been sitting around collecting dust in my cabinet isn't too bad actually. 

• I like it 1

A splash of Early Times BiB

over an ice cube tonight before bed.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 4

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Sadly, not a thing in FL. I only saw EW BiB yesterday for the 1st time. Going to have to live through you on the ET...

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Did the same last night  😉

You guys talked me into some ET BiB on the patio this afternoon! Such a great value bourbon; I sure hope they don't change it moving to the new distillery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.