What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Had the whole clan over to the house last night for my birthday. 

Happy Birthday Mr. Frank! 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Happy birthday young man!

Ditto! Happy Birthday!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Happy belated Birthday sir!  Looks like a wonderful evening.  
Raising a glass of ORVW in your honor!

• I like it 3

Since I bought a couple more BT’s, I’m having a pour of BT while relaxing on the back patio. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

ETL while watching some baseball on the couch while the wife is away visiting the inlaws.

• I like it 3

This stuff is a bit overpriced and I know the issues with company, but this is mighty tasty. Watching the Blues final game of the regular season and they just tied it up after being down 0-3! LGB!!

20210513_201816.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4

Just now, Clueby said:

This stuff is a bit overpriced and I know the issues with company, but this is mighty tasty. ...

Tasty is what does it.  I overpay all the time for things that sit well in my glengairne.  There's been times I paid triple what I thought it worth just to try it.  Case in point, for many years I bought at least 1 bottle of Woodford Master's when could get Stitzel Pappy 20 for same price.  And very glad I did as it was a great education in experimentals.

I revisited a bottle of Maker's Mark 46  Limited Edition Cask strength last night.

I was hoping that the 2nd pour would be better.    It's not.   

It's medicinal, and hot.   It's 109.6 proof and drinks hotter than that.  Water fixed the heat, a little, but this stuff never really opened up.

The regular MM cask strength, and the 101, is much better.

I'm very disappointed in this.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I revisited a bottle of Maker's Mark 46  Limited Edition Cask strength last night.

I was hoping that the 2nd pour would be better.    It's not.   

It's medicinal, and hot.   It's 109.6 proof and drinks hotter than that.  Water fixed the heat, a little, but this stuff never really opened up.

The regular MM cask strength, and the 101, is much better.

I'm very disappointed in this.

I'm also not a fan of MM46 CS. I get an artificial flavor that's a big turn off. 

3 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I'm also not a fan of MM46 CS. I get an artificial flavor that's a big turn off. 

Agreed.

I was hoping that the CS would offer a richer, more satisfying flavor and mouthfeel.  I'm just getting heat, cinnamon, (not in a good way), and an "off" taste that I can't describe.  I'll revisit this in a few months, and see if it improves.  

36 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed.

I was hoping that the CS would offer a richer, more satisfying flavor and mouthfeel.  I'm just getting heat, cinnamon, (not in a good way), and an "off" taste that I can't describe.  I'll revisit this in a few months, and see if it improves.  

It tastes like freshly cut grass to me.

• I like it 1

I got off work an hour early today. Yayyyy, more back patio time. 🤗 I had a small pour of MM101 for starters. This normally sits pretty well with me, but today, not so much. With a couple of folks mentioning ETL lately, I decided to open a bottle and have a pour. “Yeah, that’s the ticket.” Much better. 

FWIW, it’s been a pretty nice spring here so far. So much was going on last year, we didn’t get to enjoy much time at all on our patio. My wife made the comment the other day that it almost seems like we’ve spent more time out back already this year than will did all last year. I sure hope the trend continues. It’s relaxing an enjoyable. Cheers y’all!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Started with an ER - not bad...

Attempted the MM Fae-01 - 1st half of pour, just weird. Second half dealt me some candy apple to go with the weird. I've decided that when I want a totally different animal, I can take this one. It doesn't drink as hot as it's proof but it is strange...

I'm now drinking "the confusion blend" ... 6oz BT/5oz Stagg Jr/drink a couple pours/add 2oz ER...

It's pretty damn good but in my typical state of confusion, not duplicable...

Oh well, putting scamp on the grill...

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Attempted the MM Fae-01 - 1st half of pour, just weird. Second half dealt me some candy apple to go with the weird. I've decided that when I want a totally different animal, I can take this one. It doesn't drink as hot as it's proof but it is strange...

I'm now drinking "the confusion blend" ... 6oz BT/5oz Stagg Jr/drink a couple pours/add 2oz ER...

LOVE me some fresh grilled scamp!!  I'm grilling some pork right now. The midwestern version of seafood. 🤣😜

I'll agree that the FAE is "weird". I can't quite put my finger on it but it's a slight mustiness. But then, yes, you get the candy apples and oak.

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2021 at 4:42 AM, GeeTen said:

Had the whole clan over to the house last night for my birthday. 

1588592466_73rdBirthday.thumb.jpg.188b20c79d4b0de50fa87c3c23d9a6ab.jpg

But I did all the cooking on the Weber while drinking from my freezer bottle of FRYL. This was all that was left in the Yeti this morning:

FRYL dead.jpg

First dead soldier of the season.  Its replacement is already cooling her heels in the freezer, ready for duty at a moment's notice.   Don't you just LOVE summer???   🥰

A very happy belated birthday to you Sir! Looks like a great time with the fam and some FR

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, Clueby said:

LOVE me some fresh grilled scamp!!  I'm grilling some pork right now. The midwestern version of seafood. 🤣😜

I'll agree that the FAE is "weird". I can't quite put my finger on it but it's a slight mustiness. But then, yes, you get the candy apples and oak.

You are not slacking with the pork. It's my meat of choice, before beef or poultry.

Right again on the FAE mustiness. It's so out of context with typical MMs that I'm not even identifying many flavors. I haven't gotten the oak yet and the candy apple is my 1st distinguishing note of value.

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I wasn't that impressed the first time I had a pour of my FAE.  But the second time (last weekend) I got a nice strong cherry note.  Almost like a "junior" Stagg Jr? (Lol)?  I enjoyed it much more. 

Wondering how my 3rd session of FAE will go, ... who knows, but I'm withholding judgement for now.

• I like it 1

Tonight I was in the mood for something different.  For some reason, possibly related to the fact I've been watching baseball every night this week, the siren song of roasted peanuts is calling me.  So I reached for a bottle of Old Tub. 

It's  really hitting the spot. 🥜🥜🥜⚾

So tonight I started with a recently purchased handle of WT101 and then followed with a recently purchased WTRB.

I'm here to tell you that the WT101 wins in a landslide. This surprises me.

You all know that I'm on the board of the Lawrenceburg man tribe so I love me some WTRB.

Wow......WT101 just continues to deliver at an incredible price.

• I like it 4

After an al fresco sushi dinner on the deck last nite:

sushi dinner.jpg

a wee dram of Blanton's Gold from my second-to-last Bermuda bottle with just a skosh of left-over chocolate birthday cake:

Gold dessert.jpg

Bourbon goes great with deep, dark chocolate, yes?  And it'a almost time for another road trip to the Duty-Free shop in Bermuda, methinks.   🥰

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 11

On 5/13/2021 at 8:24 PM, Clueby said:

This stuff is a bit overpriced and I know the issues with company, but this is mighty tasty. Watching the Blues final game of the regular season and they just tied it up after being down 0-3! LGB!!

20210513_201816.jpg

Sir I am new here, and only about 3 years into serious bourbon.

Could you expand on the issue with Michter's as a company please. 

I topped off last nights patio session with a pour of Blanton’s. I’m gonna have to be very judicious with ETL and Blanton’s going forward. I only have a couple of bottles of each left. ☹️

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, dwg13013 said:

Sir I am new here, and only about 3 years into serious bourbon.

Could you expand on the issue with Michter's as a company please. 

Short summary:

Original Michter's Distillery was in Pennsylvania and shut its doors in 1990.

After some time, the name became public domain. A group from New York resurrected the name and started a new 'distillery'.

They then proceeded to source bourbon while acting like they had been distilling all along while talking about their recipe they had been  using since 1753.

They were early to the sourced bourbon game and were early to the premium pricing game. (As in premium pricing for a product that did not necessarily warrant that pricing)

Then, the last distiller at the original Michter's location - Dick Stoll - became involved in a new venture called Stoll & Wolfe. New Michter's sued them and wouldn't allow them to say anything about Dick's history at the original Michter's where he built quite a legacy. Classic big guy going after the little guy that left a bad taste for a lot of us.

If you go to the Michter's website now they talk about the history but that's only because they received a lot of criticism for their earlier dishonesty. They are now distilling their own product but it's still maturing so what you buy now is still sourced or was distilled on contract from Brown Forman (distilled at Old Forester).

That was a quick response from memory so anyone correct me if needed or add anything I missed.

• I like it 3

Wow Thank you

I knew none of that.

My only exposure is a friend likes it, and recommended it, 

I bought one bottle of the small batch.  Will be my last, as it was only a test.

I like all that Buffalo Trace puts out, so that is where most of my money goes for bourbons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.