What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As to the Michter's story -

I recall that Dick Stoll came up with the name by combining his sons names Michael and Peter.

My understanding of copyrights is that once a brand is registered, the owner must re register on a regular basis.  Stoll let it lapse a short time before these other people swooped in.

I remember when Chuck Cowdrey used to refer to these types of businesses as "Potemkins". 😉

• I like it 2

GBS Executive Committee @troyce@tanstaafl2 @BigRich@GaryT last night to celebrate our Chairman Troyce’s ##th birthday (he’s old...😆)...

Opened at Chops ATL @Restaurant man.  Drank during and after dinner. Emptied later in front of the fire.  Other goodies, too.  It can be a bit of a cliche, but it really is true.  Great whiskey is even better when enjoyed with friends. 

90811CC8-E530-4FD7-8810-ADB42B46F3F7.jpeg

67759CD4-21EC-4BC3-9FB9-ABA0AFAE4D0D.jpeg

• I like it 19

Casablanca on the TV.  I forgot some of the dialogue so am refreshing my recollection.  Got most of the male parts down; now working on the female dialogue AND the voice inflections of the various characters instead of just the words..  SB Blend sipped on last night is still with me - 1.5 of W12 to each 1 of OWA which sat 7 months in the dark before I sipped it.  It is STILL superb.  Just sang "La Marseillaise".  Couldn't have done it without the SB Blend.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

GBS Executive Committee @troyce@tanstaafl2 @BigRich@GaryT last night to celebrate our Chairman Troyce’s ##th birthday (he’s old...😆)...

Opened at Chops ATL @Restaurant man.  Drank during and after dinner. Emptied later in front of the fire.  Other goodies, too.  It can be a bit of a cliche, but it really is true.  Great whiskey is even better when enjoyed with friends. 

Love it...

• I like it 1

Big oaky 15yr 4mo KC on a cube while sitting outside with neighbors on a chilly evening. 

• I like it 2

WTKS after dinner at a food truck fund raiser for a local public health charity.

Drinking some Woodford Reserve tonight. I don't feel like I see that much Woodford mentioned on here, does everyone hate it?

5 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Drinking some Woodford Reserve tonight. I don't feel like I see that much Woodford mentioned on here, does everyone hate it?

Yea.....

• I like it 1

Went to dinner with my wife to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary.  Started the night with a blackberry Old Fashioned.  Before they brought that to the table I put the box with her family ring on the table.  A tourmaline stone for me, a ruby for her and two diamonds for the kids.  Glass of Chardonnay with my grilled grouper.  Manager stopped by our table and we got to talking about bourbon, etc.  He said he had something he wanted us to try.  Brought our a pour of Bumbu Rum.  It's 13 years old and MAN is it good.  When we got home I decided the best way to end the night was with a pour of PVW 15.  I was right.

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

I don't hate it, and have a store pick double oak open at the moment I enjoy.

I think the standard Woodford Reserve is so balanced that a lot of people find it meh. Some people also claim to get a weird finish due to the pot still component.

I find it a good airport, restaurant, bar option if they don't have WT101, and a fine once in a while pour.

I think I have used the analogy that Woodford Reserve is the Honda Accord of bourbons - perfectly acceptable but never going to be considered an enthusiast's favorite option.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Just noticing how it's always available everywhere - people must be buying it, repeat business too.  So, it has its' fans.

Early on, trying it, I got a metallic "copper penny" taste in the finish.  That interfered with my enjoyment.  I moved on.

I was gifted one Christmas a liquor store private selection - no copper penny this time.

I've heard the metallic aftertaste is either gone or dialed way back in the regular version.

For me though, I've found I much prefer Old Forester to WR.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, flahute said:

So tonight I started with a recently purchased handle of WT101 and then followed with a recently purchased WTRB.

I'm here to tell you that the WT101 wins in a landslide. This surprises me.

You all know that I'm on the board of the Lawrenceburg man tribe so I love me some WTRB.

Wow......WT101 just continues to deliver at an incredible price.

I haven't had them side by side but this doesn't surprise me given how superb recent 101 has been tasting.  It truly drinks like a premium bourbon.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Went to dinner with my wife to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary.  Started the night with a blackberry Old Fashioned.  Before they brought that to the table I put the box with her family ring on the table.  A tourmaline stone for me, a ruby for her and two diamonds for the kids.  Glass of Chardonnay with my grilled grouper.  Manager stopped by our table and we got to talking about bourbon, etc.  He said he had something he wanted us to try.  Brought our a pour of Bumbu Rum.  It's 13 years old and MAN is it good.  When we got home I decided the best way to end the night was with a pour of PVW 15.  I was right.

Awesome!

• I like it 1

Enjoying home blend of two bottles I picked up in 2016 when I was stocking up.  It's a 50-50 blend of Stagg Jr 129.7 and ER barrel pick.  I think I'll use less ER next time up.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Breakfast at the Sky Club. I’m back in business.

757FBCB7-529B-4745-9B7D-17FB3729804A.thumb.jpeg.f17efffe11383bcc72abfb51d3a25217.jpeg

Now that's an "eye opener".

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Breakfast at the Sky Club. I’m back in business.

757FBCB7-529B-4745-9B7D-17FB3729804A.thumb.jpeg.f17efffe11383bcc72abfb51d3a25217.jpeg

Yes! I'll be doing the same in a few weeks.

21 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

It's a mood thing for me.  I'm enjoying the latest explorations they do, but then I used to buy every master's that came out.  I like different, woodford definitely different

alcohol makes one genius? for past several weeks I've been going thru zillion different whiskeys/whiskys/cognacs, many pricey premiums.  Tonight my pre-fire EC12 blowing them all away.  Now here's the quandy, my treasured 1.75 jug is below half, so do I kill it or transfer?  I'm worried some volatile components (florals) might get lost in transfer.  So I debated with another glass, and another glass, and finally decided smart thing transfer 375 and keep rest in jug then do side-by-side.  I like having this EC12 around for comparison purposes and don't want to see it go away.  Any thoughts?  Any experience on flavor loss with transfer?

I'm on a barrel proof kick this afternoon.  This is a buddy's barrel pick. It holds it's own paired with a med-full strength cigar.

20210516_180958.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, we drank several 1000's of dollars worth of booze (secondary market)  Friday night , but it was worth it.

• I like it 2

I am going to miss this KC pick from Campbell Station in Knoxville. I picked it up last month while vacationing with the family in the Smokies. The neck pour was just OK. After a couple weeks it became a wonderful creamy, nutty Beam profile, almost  baby Bookers when it opened up. Only a 9 yr, but hard to beat for $45 at 120 proof. If you are in Knoxville dont pass on this one. I am definitely checking if there is any left when I pass through Knoxville on my way to Lexington for my 20th anniversary next month. 

Any recommendations on good restaurants with great bourbon selections in Lexington? I also will be on the hunt for bottles as well of course.

16212064521406608743898060624553.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, bayouredd said:

Started with an ER - not bad...

Attempted the MM Fae-01 - 1st half of pour, just weird. Second half dealt me some candy apple to go with the weird. I've decided that when I want a totally different animal, I can take this one. It doesn't drink as hot as it's proof but it is strange...

I'm now drinking "the confusion blend" ... 6oz BT/5oz Stagg Jr/drink a couple pours/add 2oz ER...

It's pretty damn good but in my typical state of confusion, not duplicable...

Oh well, putting scamp on the grill...

If  you drank that blend in just three pours, especially after the other two pours, then I can certainly understand your confusion.  However, I suspect you probably felt pretty good in the moment but maybe not so much in the future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.